PDA

View Full Version : Any tips on International shipping of frames/bikes?

RobJ
02-21-2018, 10:43 AM
It seems that there must have been a huge jump in international shipping rates since the last time I sent one out of the country. I am using a standard bike box around 40"x9"x29" and just a frame/fork and getting outrageous quotes both from BikeFlights/Fedex and UPS. Somewhere on the order of $800-$1200 USD. The one quote was going to Norway.

I am going to try to shrink down the packaging into a smaller box, but not sure that's going to make a huge difference. Anyone have similar issues or any tips?

sales guy
02-21-2018, 12:20 PM
You can shrink the box down a bunch if you want the frame with the headtube on the bottom of the box. I suspend mine. But for out of the country ones, it's usually headtube down. The box can usually go down to 36 x 8 x 24. It'll help on cost.

tuscanyswe
02-21-2018, 12:27 PM
You are using the wrong service provider.

For international shipping USPS.COM is vastly superior in terms of pricing.

Like 110 or so for frame.

GL

fignon's barber
02-21-2018, 12:27 PM
USPS is almost always the cheapest way to ship. Plug in weight/dimensions on website to see if Norway takes boxes that big.

RobJ
02-21-2018, 12:33 PM
Thanks for the tips.

Yea I always use USPS Priority for most everything sold here; except wheels and frames go BikeFlights. I was getting some errors on their site and figured it was the package was too large for the destination. I will go back and check again and likewise with a smaller dimensioned box as well.

jemoryl
02-21-2018, 01:36 PM
It seems that there must have been a huge jump in international shipping rates since the last time I sent one out of the country. I am using a standard bike box around 40"x9"x29" and just a frame/fork and getting outrageous quotes both from BikeFlights/Fedex and UPS. Somewhere on the order of $800-$1200 USD. The one quote was going to Norway.

I am going to try to shrink down the packaging into a smaller box, but not sure that's going to make a huge difference. Anyone have similar issues or any tips?

At those prices it would probably be cheaper to take a quick trip to Norway with the bike as a checked bag!