PDA

View Full Version : Shipping bike stuff to Canada Customs, Insurance Question

kppolich
02-21-2018, 09:43 AM
I believe I have a buyer for a set of wheels, except the buyer is in Toronto.

Question: Is there a way to avoid the customs fees for them but have insurance coverage in case of damage? Can I mark these as a gift with lower value but insure them to a higher value? Basically trying to save the buyer the ~20% customs fees upon arrival. Thanks in advance PL

Gsinill
02-21-2018, 10:04 AM
I sold a bike to a guy in Toronto a few years ago and we ended up with me shipping it to a FedEx office close to the Niagara Falls and he drove down to pick it up.

Don't remember all the details and things might have changed, but I think USPS and UPS were too expensive and FedEx automatically would have involved the dreaded customs broker crap with mandatory customs declaration.

tuscanyswe
02-21-2018, 10:09 AM
From here you can. Swe, not usa.

Since the listed insurance value is not printed on the goods. If its printed on the goods i think the custom officers will/could question the value if they see the different numbers. The likelyhood of that is however relatively small i would guess.

John H.
02-21-2018, 10:52 AM
I put that on the buyer to decide.

That way I am not on the hook if something happens.

BTW- I actually used Bikeflights.com to ship a frame to Canada a couple of weeks ago. I was surprised at how cheap it was- worked out well. No hassles.

auto_rock
02-21-2018, 10:57 AM
I remember there was no way around it when I was receiving things in Canada - maybe PayPal Buyer Protection gives insurance though? (Not sure)

VanBikeGuy
02-21-2018, 11:10 AM
I would just ship USPS. Buyer only pays 5% GST on bike parts (at least in Vancouver, BC), so not a lot here. USPS transfers to Canada Post, whereas FedEx and UPS charges $50+ for various brokerage fees.

ntb1001
02-21-2018, 12:59 PM
When I have stuff shipped to me here(Canada)...I try to have a low value...very low value, ie..$20-$30. Also, no insurance as this will change the value of goods. You are taking a chance, but if the item is packed well, and shipped with signature required,and with USPS you should be ok. I have never had problems this way. Otherwise, when customs and duties are involved, it gets stupid.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

shorelocal
02-21-2018, 01:08 PM
Bike parts are duty free into Canada. The only taxes charged are GST (5%). Canada Post will often charge a handling fee of $9.95 CAD if the value is large enough and gets flagged for taxes at customs. If the package is small and of low value, it often goes through with no fees.

ntb1001
02-21-2018, 02:10 PM
Bike parts are duty free into Canada. The only taxes charged are GST (5%). Canada Post will often charge a handling fee of $9.95 CAD if the value is large enough and gets flagged for taxes at customs. If the package is small and of low value, it often goes through with no fees.I don't think this is accurate. I have had some larger duties from UK on bike parts.

Black Dog
02-21-2018, 06:06 PM
I don't think this is accurate. I have had some larger duties from UK on bike parts.

The duties from the U.K. are not the same as from the USA. USPS is the best bet since it avoids the predatory brokerage fees from UPS and FEdEx.

GonaSovereign
02-21-2018, 07:08 PM
I would just ship USPS. Buyer only pays 5% GST on bike parts (at least in Vancouver, BC), so not a lot here. USPS transfers to Canada Post, whereas FedEx and UPS charges $50+ for various brokerage fees.

This is your answer.