PDA

View Full Version : OT: Do you dig Thumpers?

William
02-21-2018, 07:03 AM
Interesting road offerings coming from Husqavarna...light weight thumpers. The Vitpilen 701 comes in at 300+ pounds and 692.7 cc's. Seems like it would be a nimble commuter/fun bike and the styling looks good to me.

Vitpilen & Svartpilen
Would you thump one? :)

http://www.husqvarna-motorcycles.com/us/vitpilen/vitpilen-701/

Jay Leno's Garage
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fd6_MmqkiHw

William

Tickdoc
02-21-2018, 07:35 AM
I don't know what thumpers are, but I'm not allowed to ride motorcycles. At least that is what my dad used to tell me.

sw3759
02-21-2018, 07:47 AM
yep i dig thumpers..love my DRZ400SM but would prefer to be riding that new 701 Husky supermoto.what my suzuki wants to be when it grows up.looks pretty awesome
sorry i cant warm up to that Vitpilen 701

Nooch
02-21-2018, 07:52 AM
I don't know what thumpers are, but I'm not allowed to ride motorcycles. At least that is what my dad used to tell me.

My wife tells me if I want one, I need to write letters to my daughters explaining why riding a motorcycle was more important than being alive to see them grow up, to be opened if I suffer an untimely demise.

I tell her she's being a little dramatic, and then go for a ride at 5am in the dark.

William
02-21-2018, 08:00 AM
I don't know what thumpers are...

Thumper = Single cylinder motorcycles.

William

Tickdoc
02-21-2018, 08:02 AM
Thumper = Single cylinder motorcycles.

William

ahh, thank you. I just learned what baggers are. Now I can add thumpers to the mix. we have a lot of single piston oil derricks round these parts so I can imagine they sound great at idle.

Gsinill
02-21-2018, 08:22 AM
I tell her she's being a little dramatic, and then go for a ride at 5am in the dark.

So true, I feel much safer on my motorcycle than any time hitting the road with one of my bicycles.

Cool bikes though, especially the rugged version looks good.

Corso
02-21-2018, 08:46 AM
Mine:
Correction-Thumpers: Single cylinder 4-STROKE motorcycles.

David Tollefson
02-21-2018, 08:47 AM
That 701 is a looker. I've really liked the idea of the Savage with a Ryca conversion. My Duc is nice, but I'd like a little more wind protection. A naked I would think would be even worse. But still... It looks like a load of fun.

What's the list price on that bike?

William
02-21-2018, 09:03 AM
Corso: Nice! :cool:

DT: I think they said $6,200 for the Svartpilen and $11,000 for the Vitpilen 701 in the video.

William

David Tollefson
02-21-2018, 09:05 AM
Yeah, I'm only about half way through the video... I'm intrigued.

bthornt
02-21-2018, 09:27 AM
I thought it was going to be about the club in Minneapolis.

Gummee
02-21-2018, 09:34 AM
My wife tells me if I want one, I need to write letters to my daughters explaining why riding a motorcycle was more important than being alive to see them grow up, to be opened if I suffer an untimely demise.

IME riding a bicycle is actually MORE dangerous than riding a moto.

On a moto you can get out of the way. On a bicycle, you're stuck

But since perception = reality, I won't change your mind.

M

CSKeller
02-21-2018, 09:43 AM
I have a 2011 Beta 450 RS (dual sport...a dirt bike that is street legal) that is really wonderful...

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiY7qugrLfZAhVIXK0KHQq-AyIQjRx6BAgAEAY&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.dirtrider.com%2F2011-beta-450-rs&psig=AOvVaw0D1pv9D9EGAj7VFqBo6Gis&ust=1519314033805446

although it doesn't get ridden often enough!

bking
02-21-2018, 09:56 AM
Thumpers Save Lives!

I've been a KTM guy since John Penton first imported them into the states:
https://photos.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Cold-Creek-Ride-3-07/i-wmNMmgS/0/fc7194b4/XL/P1000071-XL.jpg

The saving lives: this guy left Indian Springs came into Vegas to get his laundry and decided to take a scenic route. High centered his SUV, and spent too much time trying to get out, a couple days! Dead batteries, and was out of water and food and delirious and hallucinating when we ran across him. We got 911 and they sent out a rescue unit.
https://photos.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Cold-Creek-Ride-3-07/i-TNNfB2j/0/09de6eb3/X3/P1000120-X3.jpg

Ken Robb
02-21-2018, 10:04 AM
I've had quite a few thumpers and these would be very appealing if I hadn't given up riding after being smashed up by a car a few years ago. OTOH if I had been on my bicycle I'd be dead because then I would not have been wearing a jacket with armor and a full-face helmet.

If you're not touring or riding long distances at high speeds the light weight and nimbleness of a 300 pound single can be a lot of fun on back country roads even if they are unpaved.

KarlC
02-21-2018, 10:05 AM
Jay is a cool guy, and those Huskies are cool but based on that Viedo Jay is right Husqavarna needs help, starting with their marketing.

Nooch
02-21-2018, 10:07 AM

M

You don't have to change my mind :) I know the logic and have wanted one since I was a kid, but met my wife before I had the kind of disposable money to pursue the hobby. I'll fight her on it as the kids get older.

mistermo
02-21-2018, 10:09 AM
Always been a fan of the BMW GS thumper. I've been on the edge of pulling the trigger for a couple years now.

http://viagemdemoto.com/images/stories/0213/robson/Viagem-de-moto-bmw_g650gs_sertao.jpg

David Tollefson
02-21-2018, 11:09 AM
You don't have to change my mind :) I know the logic and have wanted one since I was a kid, but met my wife before I had the kind of disposable money to pursue the hobby. I'll fight her on it as the kids get older.

A sizeable life insurance policy can help that argument...

Tony
02-21-2018, 11:27 AM

M

I think it's speed that plays a big factor on why I think Motorcycles are more dangerous. Yes, bicycles are vulnerable, but they aren't moving at highway speeds. Largely the cause of death/injury in motorcycle accidents is not what hits you, it is what you hit and the speed you are travelling when you hit it. Speed kills!

mistermo
02-21-2018, 11:33 AM
I'd rather hit the deck at 50mph wearing full moto gear, than hit the deck at 20 wearing lycra.

David Tollefson
02-21-2018, 11:34 AM
I think it's speed that plays a big factor on why I think Motorcycles are more dangerous. Yes, bicycles are vulnerable, but they aren't moving at highway speeds. Largely the cause of death/injury in motorcycle accidents is not what hits you, it is what you hit and the speed you are travelling when you hit it. Speed kills!

When it comes to interacting with traffic, it's speed differential that is dangerous, not so much the actual moving speed.

HenryA
02-21-2018, 11:53 AM
I'd rather hit the deck at 50mph wearing full moto gear, than hit the deck at 20 wearing lycra.

Having done both but at twice the speed I would prefer to not do either ever again!

:banana:

HenryA
02-21-2018, 11:54 AM
Another thumper lover here.

William
02-21-2018, 12:20 PM
Another thumper lover here.

Nice rig!:cool:

William

gasman
02-21-2018, 02:08 PM
This was the first thumper I rode. My parents wouldn't let me buy a motorcycle and my wife hasn't either.

William
02-21-2018, 02:21 PM
This was the first thumper I rode. My parents wouldn't let me buy a motorcycle and my wife hasn't either.

Nice! Yeah, I was riding before I got married...before. Mrs William was squarely not in favor of me riding while the kids were younger but now that they are close to leaving the nest I'm revisiting the riding thang. :)

William

William
02-21-2018, 02:21 PM
The six "best" thumpers?

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/news-and-views/advice/biking-tips/the-single-life-6-of-the-best

William

Ken Robb
02-21-2018, 03:09 PM

Ah, A BSA 441 "Victim". Really fun when they ran. :) If I remember correctly these were developed by putting a bigger cylinder on their 250cc bottom end so that may explain their fragility.

David Tollefson
02-21-2018, 03:21 PM
I started riding before wife-the-current (and last, thank you) came into the picture. I made it clear she had no say in whether I did or did not ride my motorcycle, but I conceded the life insurance policy as a compromise.

NHAero
02-21-2018, 03:48 PM
Of all the two and four wheeled vehicles I have owned, powered and unpowered, the one I wish I kept was the thumper I had in high school, a 1966 Ducati Scrambler. Bright yellow, great sound, a bit of a trick for a 135 pound kid to start...photo from the web attached, mine was not as refined :)

simplemind
02-21-2018, 04:23 PM
Of all the two and four wheeled vehicles I have owned, powered and unpowered, the one I wish I kept was the thumper I had in high school, a 1966 Ducati Scrambler. Bright yellow, great sound, a bit of a trick for a 135 pound kid to start...photo from the web attached, mine was not as refined :)

You were a lucky kid! :hello:

gasman
02-21-2018, 04:28 PM
Ah, A BSA 441 "Victim". Really fun when they ran. :) If I remember correctly these were developed by putting a bigger cylinder on their 250cc bottom end so that may explain their fragility.

Beat the heck out of you riding it and yes Ken it seemed we were always fixing something on it.

gemship
02-21-2018, 05:39 PM
I was watching Jay Leno's garage Sunday night and first saw these new offerings. The 701 is sharp and I wouldn't turn it down but I kinda like the KTM 690 Duke. I think it's cheaper in price too.

Ken Robb
02-21-2018, 06:14 PM

I had one very much like this in 1965. I think mine was a 1963 or 1964 250cc Scrambler. I bought it from a guy who had raced it. I don't know what he might have done to it but I had no trouble keeping up with a pal who had a Triumph Bonneville TT that should have been much faster. The Ducati had no speedo or muffler when I got it. I added a Racket Buster to the end of the straight pipe to make it a LITTLE quieter without noticeably reducing the performance.

NHAero
02-21-2018, 08:09 PM
Didn't they make an awesome sound? I wonder, if you found one, how hard it would be to keep it running - parts, etc.?

I had one very much like this in 1965. I think mine was a 1963 or 1964 250cc Scrambler. I bought it from a guy who had raced it. I don't know what he might have done to it but I had no trouble keeping up with a pal who had a Triumph Bonneville TT that should have been much faster. The Ducati had no speedo or muffler when I got it. I added a Racket Buster to the end of the straight pipe to make it a LITTLE quieter without noticeably reducing the performance.

William
02-21-2018, 08:48 PM
I was watching Jay Leno's garage Sunday night and first saw these new offerings. The 701 is sharp and I wouldn't turn it down but I kinda like the KTM 690 Duke. I think it's cheaper in price too.

Those look pretty nice as well!

William

zzy
02-21-2018, 08:57 PM
I'm really intrigued by this simply because they handle so much like a bike and would be great as a city commuter. As a non car owner a small bike would be nice for running errands or just getting out of town. That said, maybe not so much fun in snow or rain, and no cargo capability.

William
02-21-2018, 09:00 PM
I'm really intrigued by this simply because they handle so much like a bike and would be great as a city commuter. As a non car owner a small bike would be nice for running errands or just getting out of town. That said, maybe not so much fun in snow or rain, and no cargo capability.

According to the rep in the video they have bags and other accessories for carrying...so there is that. :)

William

Tony
02-21-2018, 09:24 PM

Maybe on a race track. It's whats waiting at the end of "the deck" that concerns me. I've lost friends who didn't have that opportunity.

Tony
02-21-2018, 09:29 PM
When it comes to interacting with traffic, it's speed differential that is dangerous, not so much the actual moving speed.

True. A common type of motorcycle accident is cars making left-hand turns in front of riders. The car driver often comes in contact with the rider while the motorcycle is going through an intersection at a much higher speed.

dogrange
02-21-2018, 09:47 PM
Drool, that 701 would be perfect for my reentry into motorcycling, but 3 little kids and traffic everywhere here in Chicagoland = unlikely for daddy right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mcteague
02-22-2018, 07:10 AM
My first motorcycle, back in the late 70's, was a thumper. Still have fond memories of that one even though I now ride a BMW S1000R, about as far from that bike as you could get.

Tim

PaMtbRider
02-22-2018, 09:30 AM
I have an adventurized Suzuki DR650 but would love to have a 701 Husky enduro
http://www.enduroworld.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/The-Husqvarna-701-is-gorgeo.jpg

guyintense
02-22-2018, 10:02 AM
I was one of the first in Vegas to embrace the big 4 cycle single, I bought the Yamaha TT 500 when it first came out. What a great bike, 4th gear wheelies and reliable. I did the Barstow to Vegas on it and still regret selling it. I still have a SRX 600.
BTW, it's Huskvarna not Huskavarna, although that's the way most Americans pronounce it, me included until I saw one of their chainsaw commercials.

Ken Robb
02-22-2018, 10:11 AM
3-4 years ago before Husky was bought by KTM they had two street-legal 650 bikes that were not as fast as the KTM Duke but their engines were much smoother. The Duke vibrated so bad above 5,000 RPM that it discourage me from winding it that high to get that extra performance. One of those Huskies MIGHT be a good way to get a nice thumper for short $$.

Ken Robb
02-22-2018, 10:18 AM
Didn't they make an awesome sound? I wonder, if you found one, how hard it would be to keep it running - parts, etc.?
I don't know for sure but there are a lot of Ducati collectors and the basic components of the engines/transmissions were pretty tough. Since the scramblers came so bare-bones you wouldn't have to worry about "frills" like gauges, batteries, turn signals, etc.

ceolwulf
02-22-2018, 06:15 PM
When I become rich and famous - this will be one of my first purchases.