PDA

View Full Version : In praise of my new bike (warning: e-bike content)

fa63
02-20-2018, 05:32 PM
This was delivered to me just after the New Year. We then had some rough weather in Atlanta, but I have now been riding for about three weeks and have 250 miles to show for it.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180220/1b73980ce8d5a6af1274956333bd112a.jpg

I pretty much haven’t driven my car since end of January. I use this to ride 4 miles to the train station, take the bike on the train, then ride another two miles to my final destination. Then repeat it on the way back. I have even been finding myself getting off the train a couple stops early so I can ride extra. On the way back home, I turn the pedal assist all the way down so I get a decent workout. All in my regular work clothes.

My wife has one too, and we have essentially stopped driving if it is less than five miles. Trips to friends’ houses, restaurants, grocery store, etc. Between the two bikes, we can carry a week’s worth of groceries. A six pack fits in my carrier too :) I told her that if/when my car dies (190,000 miles and counting), I wouldn’t be opposed to becoming a one-car family.

Another pleasant side effect has been that riding this for commuting has motivated me to ride more for fitness as well (I was going through a rough patch for a while).

I know these can stir up some emotions, but I highly recommend giving one a try, especially if you live in a hilly area.

Clean39T
02-20-2018, 05:36 PM
This was delivered to me just after the New Year. We then had some rough weather in Atlanta, but I have now been riding for about three weeks and have 250 miles to show for it.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180220/1b73980ce8d5a6af1274956333bd112a.jpg

I pretty much haven’t driven my car since end of January. I use this to ride 4 miles to the train station, take the bike on the train, then ride another two miles to my final destination. Then repeat it on the way back. I have even been finding myself getting off the train a couple stops early so I can ride extra. On the way back home, I turn the pedal assist all the way down so I get a decent workout. All in my regular work clothes.

My wife has one too, and we have essentially stopped driving if it is less than five miles. Trips to friends’ houses, restaurants, grocery store, etc. Between the two bikes, we can carry a week’s worth of groceries. A six pack fits in my carrier too :) I told her that if/when my car dies (190,000 miles and counting), I wouldn’t be opposed to becoming a one-car family.

Another pleasant side effect has been that riding this for commuting has motivated me to ride more for fitness as well (I was going through a rough patch for a while).

I know these can stir up some emotions, but I highly recommend giving one a try, especially if you live in a hilly area.

Happy your happy. Anything that gets you out there on two wheels in an environmentally-friendly way is all gravy as far as I'm concerned.

Two wheels good, four wheels bad. Etc.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/8/7142/6440857817_a1f5423c45_b.jpg

Ralph
02-20-2018, 05:40 PM
I'm a fan. I already see how it gets some folks out riding who wouldn't normally be out. Makes life easier in hilly areas also. Don't see it taking the place of my regular bikes (for me), but I am thinking about getting one for wife who has bad knees. We could ride together then.

My only complaint is I don't like to see these 50-55 lb machines going fast on the MUT's. It's going to force local authorities to ban them from trails.

donevwil
02-20-2018, 05:48 PM
I think it's a great option. I work 4.5 mi from home and ride when I can, but even at that distance the absence of shower facilities leave me too sweaty and sticky to be comfortable or presentable at meetings.

pasadena
02-20-2018, 05:54 PM
This is so great to hear. Encouraging that it is sparking the desire to get more fit too.
I really believe ebikes are the key to getting people on bikes in the US.

I have a ebike, and it's really useful for local jobs that just seem wasteful to do with a car.
For example, filling a propane tank for my grill at the local station. So easy to portage heavy or bulky things with it.
I even towed a spare bike and parts to my local shop to have them sell it.

NYCfixie
02-20-2018, 05:56 PM
I think the way you are using an e-bike is perfect. It gets 1 more car off the road and you do not arrive at work all sweaty and gross.:bike:

Pegoready
02-20-2018, 06:14 PM
Awesome, I think your scenario is the exact reason FOR e-bikes. It just gives you the extra ooomph to lead a life less devoted to cars. Nice.

JAGI410
02-20-2018, 11:16 PM
Awesome, I think your scenario is the exact reason FOR e-bikes. It just gives you the extra ooomph to lead a life less devoted to cars. Nice.

Absolutely!

TonyG
02-21-2018, 01:11 AM
After a back injury a few years ago, I keep re-injuring my back if I ride hills. So each year I ride about a month or two then in the course of going farther (can't ride much more than 20 miles here without a climb) hurt my back on a climb and never get over the fitness hump.

I have been thinking that an ebike might just do the trick to get me over the hills I'd run into on a 2-3 hour ride. And just maybe I'd get fit enough not to hurt myself.

stien
02-21-2018, 06:46 AM
I did it for about a year straight, using my wife's car when she rode in sometimes or when I was sick. The main issue was when temps dipped below 15 degrees I would worry about my dogs getting too cold (they're sitting with me). I'm working on a fully enclosed rig for my cargo bike. I'm glad this is becoming more mainstream.

Babrassiler
02-21-2018, 08:01 AM
I just test rode one last weekend and can definitely see the appeal. I'm considering purchasing for a 36 mile daily commute that I'd do for at least 9 months of the year. Ideally I'd also like to become a one car family. My non cyclist wife isn't quite as enthusiastic!!

William
02-21-2018, 08:04 AM
The Legend e-bike looks pretty nice...

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=2314239&postcount=164

William

zlin
02-21-2018, 08:05 AM
Cool that you're finding new cases for riding with your family and hopping off the train early.

Enjoy! :banana:

Rpoole8537
02-21-2018, 09:55 AM
Outstanding post. A friend has been riding an e-bike for a little over a year to put off knee replacement as long as possible. It's easy for her to stay with the group on hills now. Great way for her to ride with frinds .
BTW, love that Legend e-bike! I want one, (someday). :)

btanner
02-21-2018, 10:55 AM
Everyone I know who's ridden an e-bike (myself included) has come away impressed with the experience. It's great to see the market gain traction and to see how people are finding reasons to get on board. It's by no means for everyone but that's okay, it was never meant to be.

bironi
02-21-2018, 12:38 PM
Ride on!

fa63
03-01-2018, 12:37 PM
Update:

On the way out, I am still riding to the train station then to work, but on the way back I have actually started to ride all the way. That is 5 miles in the morning, 17 miles in the afternoon. I keep the assist level at a minimum (except a couple parts on busy roads where I use the throttle to get up to speed quickly), and by the time I am home I feel like I have gotten a good workout.

For those interested in how much difference the pedal assist makes: I have done the same route several times on my regular road bike, and if I push myself I can do that 17 miles in about an hour (1,300 feet of elevation gain). With the pedal assist bike, I was about 5 minutes faster, but of course I did not have to push as hard. But I don't think I will be stealing anyone's KOMs any time soon (I don't record my commutes to Strava anyways) :)

BikeNY
03-01-2018, 02:39 PM
As others have said, that's a perfect use for an Ebike. I've never tried one, but I love the idea for getting around town, errands, commuting, etc.

The one place they don't belong in on MTB trails!

SpokeValley
03-01-2018, 05:48 PM
Thanks a bunch for the update.

I've known since I test rode an ebike that there definitely one in my future.

azrider
11-14-2019, 12:33 PM
Update:

On the way out, I am still riding to the train station then to work, but on the way back I have actually started to ride all the way. That is 5 miles in the morning, 17 miles in the afternoon. I keep the assist level at a minimum (except a couple parts on busy roads where I use the throttle to get up to speed quickly), and by the time I am home I feel like I have gotten a good workout.

For those interested in how much difference the pedal assist makes: I have done the same route several times on my regular road bike, and if I push myself I can do that 17 miles in about an hour (1,300 feet of elevation gain). With the pedal assist bike, I was about 5 minutes faster, but of course I did not have to push as hard. But I don't think I will be stealing anyone's KOMs any time soon (I don't record my commutes to Strava anyways) :)

Your experience with your E-bike is really speaking to me. I currently have a 23 mile commute and when I ride it usually takes me anywhere from 1:15-:120 with little to no elevation gain.

What I'd like to see in an E-bike, is something that can shorten that commute to under an hour in the morning, something I can throttle on busy roads where I feel most unsafe, but have the bike be rideable enough that I turn motor off on way home and get good workout.

We have little ones that I sometimes am in charge of for drop off in mornings, and when that happens i just don't have enough time to make it into work via regular bike commuting........but wife picks them up in afternoon hence my desire to ride home as time isn't as crucial.

Is 23 mile commute in work clothes doable ?

How long will it take me to charge the battery once I'm at work?

Looks like you're about a year into ownership, still digging it?

bicycletricycle
11-14-2019, 01:05 PM
More people should be outside, I am onboard with whatever it takes to get them there.

AngryScientist
11-14-2019, 01:09 PM
this is definitely going to be an area that is fast and ever changing.

battery technology is taking off at a staggering rate these days.

i'm in the power industry, and what is possible today with battery energy storage, for say, a 30MW installation is what i would have considered unbelievable only a few years ago.

as battery tech improves, and capacity per unit space and weight gets better and better, the amount of assist available for e-bike users should get more and more generous per charge. that should mean that it will be up to the user to decide how much exertion they want to put into a ride.

if i had a short-ish commute where i could make an e-bike work, and get to the office without breaking a sweat, i'd do it in a heartbeat.

i can only imagine what these things will be capable of in a few years time.

for a commuter/utility bike, these things make a ton of sense.

72gmc
11-14-2019, 01:11 PM
There are a lot more people on bikes in Seattle thanks to e-bikes, and I think it's great. If there are problems it is the same as with pedal bikes--the rider is the problem, not the bike.

My wife and kids have expressed an interest in trying them when we're on vacation. Seems like a rideshare e-bike would be a good way to see more than the mass transit system in a new city.

chiasticon
11-14-2019, 02:11 PM
just saw that Helen Wyman (recently retired British cyclocross pro) just purchased one, so she could keep up with the riders she mentors. also saw Stephen Hyde (US cyclocross pro) recently mention that his wife uses one to keep up with him when he does intervals. those are both really awesome uses of these things that I otherwise would not have thought of.

in general, I think they're pretty great. get more people out of cars. I just don't like seeing people riding illegally, as it makes drivers hate bikes more than they already do.

azrider
11-14-2019, 02:15 PM
Since i'm putting about 200 miles on my car a week, and gas quickly approaching $4 (i have to use premium and it's at $3.40 here), I can easily justify buying this bike to have strictly as commuter. And that's just fuel costs, not to mention wear and tear, oil changes, maintenance, insurance, etc. If i add in picking up the kids and using it as grocery getter then it quickly becomes a "stupid not to" scenario........

There're just sooo many options out there that I really don't know where to start.

Came up with another question for fa63 (if he ever chimes in)......how good with this be to pull a burley trailer? Would that factor in to an E-bikes weight limit or no ?

palincss
11-14-2019, 02:21 PM
this is definitely going to be an area that is fast and ever changing.

battery technology is taking off at a staggering rate these days.

i'm in the power industry, and what is possible today with battery energy storage, for say, a 30MW installation is what i would have considered unbelievable only a few years ago.

as battery tech improves, and capacity per unit space and weight gets better and better, the amount of assist available for e-bike users should get more and more generous per charge. that should mean that it will be up to the user to decide how much exertion they want to put into a ride.

One would hope the extra capacity will translated into additional range instead of additional speed. I'm perfectly happy with the legal limits that are in place now -- in fact, even with the European limits.

Mark McM
11-14-2019, 02:47 PM
just saw that Helen Wyman (recently retired British cyclocross pro) just purchased one, so she could keep up with the riders she mentors. also saw Stephen Hyde (US cyclocross pro) recently mention that his wife uses one to keep up with him when he does intervals. those are both really awesome uses of these things that I otherwise would not have thought of.

Just don't suggest these things in an ad for ebikes, or you'll be accused of sexism, as Pinerello was. Here's an article about the hub-bub caused by Pinarello's ad (the article ironically mentions Helen Wyman and her husband):

While marketing its new Nytro e-bike, Pinarello implied that women need help keeping up with men (https://www.bicycling.com/news/a20035555/pinarello-sexist-nytro-e-bike-ad/)

XXtwindad
11-14-2019, 03:04 PM
Just don't suggest these things in an ad for ebikes, or you'll be accused of sexism, as Pinerello was. Here's an article about the hub-bub caused by Pinarello's ad (the article ironically mentions Helen Wyman and her husband):

While marketing its new Nytro e-bike, Pinarello implied that women need help keeping up with men (https://www.bicycling.com/news/a20035555/pinarello-sexist-nytro-e-bike-ad/)

Well, put as diplomatically as possible, the ad was pretty "old school."

fa63
11-14-2019, 03:17 PM
Your experience with your E-bike is really speaking to me....

Is 23 mile commute in work clothes doable ?

How long will it take me to charge the battery once I'm at work?

Looks like you're about a year into ownership, still digging it?

23 mile commute - totally doable in work clothes, especially in a flat area.

Battery charge time - not sure how much you weigh and the weather conditions are like (head wind, etc.), but for example, Juiced claims that for a 190 rider & gear, on level ground with little to no wind, riding at 20 mph, you can expect to get abut 40 miles from a charge. Full recharge time with the standard charger is 6.5 hours, but since you will still have about 1/3 charge left, you will probably top off after about 4 hours.

Still digging it - absolutely; I have ridden the bike more than ever this year. It is starting to get cold and wet in Atlanta; cold only doesn't stop me but cold and wet means no bike. I might acquire some clothing to allow me to ride through anything :)

Came up with another question for fa63 (if he ever chimes in)......how good with this be to pull a burley trailer? Would that factor in to an E-bikes weight limit or no ?

Not sure, I would reach out to the manufacturer to see what they think about that.

palincss
11-14-2019, 04:17 PM
23 mile commute - totally doable in work clothes, especially in a flat area.

A lot depends on what you mean by "work clothes." If that includes a suit jacket, they're not cut so as to work well with drop bars. On the other hand, at least for me upright bars don't work for me for more than fairly short distances. After 23 miles, my hands would be numb with an upright bar.

Also, if those work clothes include [expensive] wool slacks, bicycle saddles wear out the seat of wool trousers. I know this from personal experience - as in, my co-worker coming up to me at work and asking in a very quiet voice, "Did you know your pants are worn through and have ripped so your ass is hanging out?"

fa63
11-14-2019, 04:39 PM
A lot depends on what you mean by "work clothes." If that includes a suit jacket, they're not cut so as to work well with drop bars. On the other hand, at least for me upright bars don't work for me for more than fairly short distances. After 23 miles, my hands would be numb with an upright bar.

Also, if those work clothes include [expensive] wool slacks, bicycle saddles wear out the seat of wool trousers. I know this from personal experience - as in, my co-worker coming up to me at work and asking in a very quiet voice, "Did you know your pants are worn through and have ripped so your ass is hanging out?"Fair enough, for me work clothes mean slacks and a button down shirt; I never have to wear a suit.

jamesdak
11-14-2019, 05:35 PM
So how much has the power bill at the house gone up with constantly charging the bike? I'm sure it's way less than your gas savings but I am curious.

And I also wonder about the battery dangers and disposal. Mind you this comes from years of seeing what happens when military grade batteries vent and such. My knowledge on this stuff is way old now from current tech so once again I'm curious. Back in the day a failed lithium battery could cause a whole building to be evacuated. Sure we are way past that now.

srcarter
11-14-2019, 07:26 PM
So how much has the power bill at the house gone up with constantly charging the bike? I'm sure it's way less than your gas savings but I am curious.

And I also wonder about the battery dangers and disposal. Mind you this comes from years of seeing what happens when military grade batteries vent and such. My knowledge on this stuff is way old now from current tech so once again I'm curious. Back in the day a failed lithium battery could cause a whole building to be evacuated. Sure we are way past that now.

The biggest e-bike batteries are about 1kwh. That would cost most people around $0.15 to charge, perhaps as much as $0.20 with losses. If used for work 20 days per month, the increase to electric bill would be around $3.00-4.00.

fa63
11-14-2019, 08:15 PM
Yeah, I am not sure I can distinguish the impact of me charging my battery on our power bill because it would be a very small percentage of our total consumption (and especially given how cheap electricity is in Georgia).

azrider
11-20-2019, 12:17 PM
Fa63.....thanks so much for answering all these questions.

few more (if you don't mind)

Is there a lifespan of the battery? If I were using it for a 40 mile commute (roundtrip) I'm assuming I'd need to charge the battery everyday. Is there a known number of charges a battery can withstand before capacity drop?

Also, how well does the pedal assist work?

Lastly: have you ever been stranded and needed to pedal all 50+ lbs of bike under your own power ?

fa63
11-20-2019, 12:25 PM
There is a lifespan for the battery indeed. For my bike, the manufacturer claims the capacity will be reduced to ~60% of original after roughly 600-800 charge cycles. So if you were charging everyday, your battery capacity would be diminished roughly in half after about 2 years.

Pedal assist works very well. My bike has both a cadence and torque sensor, so the pedal assist kicks in and out pretty seamlessly.

I am careful with battery management, so I have never been stranded without power assist. I have had to limp home a couple times by reducing the assist level to minimum; then you can really feel the heft of the bike especially going uphill.

Fa63.....thanks so much for answering all these questions.

few more (if you don't mind)

Is there a lifespan of the battery? If I were using it for a 40 mile commute (roundtrip) I'm assuming I'd need to charge the battery everyday. Is there a known number of charges a battery can withstand before capacity drop?

Also, how well does the pedal assist work?

Lastly: have you ever been stranded and needed to pedal all 50+ lbs of bike under your own power ?

azrider
11-20-2019, 12:44 PM
There is a lifespan for the battery indeed. For my bike, the manufacturer claims the capacity will be reduced to ~60% of original after roughly 600-800 charge cycles. So if you were charging everyday, your battery capacity would be diminished roughly in half after about 2 years.

Pedal assist works very well. My bike has both a cadence and torque sensor, so the pedal assist kicks in and out pretty seamlessly.

I am careful with battery management, so I have never been stranded without power assist. I have had to limp home a couple times by reducing the assist level to minimum; then you can really feel the heft of the bike especially going uphill.

Awesome...thanks again man.

So the pedal assist thing has always made me curious. Mainly how hard you're exerting effort compared to how much assist it's really giving you. While I was waiting on you to reply, I found the below video and I'm literally dumbstruck that this guy is going 30+ mph while pedal assist'ing and still able to have a normal conversation. Just incredible.

https://youtu.be/S2Cl2A0GCjA?t=32

I think guy in video is owner/founder of Juiced...he's also certifiably crazy for blasting down these tiny roads in China at 25+ mph on his bicycle :p:p:p:p

https://i.imgur.com/VV147Vp.jpg

fa63
11-20-2019, 06:34 PM
At the maximum assist level, you can indeed go 28 mph (where assist cuts off) with minimal effort. You will also drain your battery very quickly that way; I doubt I could get even 15 miles in max. assist mode with the hills around here (plus my fat ass).

I almost never go higher than Level 1 (it goes Eco/1/2/3/Sport), except when going up steep hills.