PDA

View Full Version : Record 11 5 bolt - crank arm bolt has little thingy in it

auto_rock
02-20-2018, 09:59 AM
Campy experts...

I recently bought the "great deal" Record crankset on the Performance closeout sale, but only to take the rings off and install them in my P2M - I've been using 10s rings, and it doesn't work quite right.

It's a Torx, but the crank arm bolt has a little piece in it - it feels like it's plastic, and my first assumption is it's just some part of a factory jig, or something, and I should just pop it out with a pick or small screwdriver, and use a normal Torx, but I want to confirm that's right.

I've attached a picture so you know what I mean.

kookmyers
02-20-2018, 10:04 AM
I've never dealt with it myself, but previous reading on this forum said people have just broken it out. I will be in the same boat soon so I will follow this thread.

oldpotatoe
02-20-2018, 10:07 AM
Campy experts...

I recently bought the "great deal" Record crankset on the Performance closeout sale, but only to take the rings off and install them in my P2M - I've been using 10s rings, and it doesn't work quite right.

It's a Torx, but the crank arm bolt has a little piece in it - it feels like it's plastic, and my first assumption is it's just some part of a factory jig, or something, and I should just pop it out with a pick or small screwdriver, and use a normal Torx, but I want to confirm that's right.

I've attached a picture so you know what I mean.

Plastic, just pop it out..Campag is nervous about taking it out, putting it back in and having it work it's way out and damage a frame..Grease the bolt threads, install to torque..

auto_rock
02-20-2018, 10:44 AM
Thanks Peter

So... Campagnolo wants you to be willing to break the thing off before you work on it as a way of setting the bar just a little too high for people who only own a multi-tool?

oldpotatoe
02-20-2018, 01:50 PM
Thanks Peter

So... Campagnolo wants you to be willing to break the thing off before you work on it as a way of setting the bar just a little too high for people who only own a multi-tool?

Campagnolo would you rather not take the rings off, period, as weird as that sounds. There are no torx tools that allow that thing to stay in there. Afaik

Hindmost
02-20-2018, 11:05 PM
The plastic thingy functions like a tamper-proof seal. Why they should place that thing in there is a mystery to me. Perhaps it provides some sort of indication in a warranty situation.