PDA

View Full Version : casual sales boards observation....

Tickdoc
02-20-2018, 07:43 AM
are there less bikes/frames being offered than ususal?

It just seems there are less bikes offered up here lately than usual. I'm used to the swings in a bunch of small bikes followed by large bikes, but it just seems kina dry lately......thoughts?

weisan
02-20-2018, 08:04 AM
Nah. The flood of bikes we got over the last few months or weeks are unusual...especially with folks changing their entire wardrobe by offering their collection up for sale. This is more like normal.

Clean39T
02-20-2018, 08:16 AM
Market has cratered for traditional road bikes, and I think some are just holding on to what they’ve got...

oldpotatoe
02-20-2018, 08:19 AM

It just seems there are less bikes offered up here lately than usual. I'm used to the swings in a bunch of small bikes followed by large bikes, but it just seems kina dry lately......thoughts?

I agree..I think 'some' are choosing to try to sell after riding 'one more time' when it gets warmer and then deciding PLUS perhaps, the 2018 'offerings' online or at LBS aren't that compelling...

tuscanyswe
02-20-2018, 08:20 AM
There is certainly a lack of nice bikes with a 58 toptubes.
Never been this hard to source a cool frame before as the last couple of years imo.

I think because of the reduced value of 2nd hand "posh" bikes a lot of the original owners decides to keep them instead of letting them go for what may seem like very little money if you paid retail.

NYCfixie
02-20-2018, 08:26 AM
...I think because of the reduced value of 2nd hand "posh" bikes a lot of the original owners decides to keep them instead of letting them go for what may seem like very little money if you paid retail.

^This seems to be my best guess as well. Supply and demand. Why sell something for so little even if you have new bike lust. Once buyers are willing to offer more money then you will see more sellers offer bikes up for sale.

paredown
02-20-2018, 08:47 AM
I agree..I think 'some' are choosing to try to sell after riding 'one more time' when it gets warmer and then deciding PLUS perhaps, the 2018 'offerings' online or at LBS aren't that compelling...

And probably add to that the 'winter projects' that people have or are completing--and when some of those don't light people's fires once they get a chance to ride, then we should see a few more shake out...

Or those where people admit to themselves that what seemed possible in December is not going to happen.

stien
02-20-2018, 08:59 AM
Market was tough this winter so I stopped bumping my frames here and sold elsewhere. Especially for something not steel and traditional.

earlfoss
02-20-2018, 09:18 AM
It's definitely a buyer's market on this forum. Not that it hasn't always been, but sellers here seem to be getting routed more than usual on sweet framesets and bikes. Perhaps it's shifting them back to online auctions and Craigslist?

etu
02-20-2018, 09:50 AM
seems like it's worst for carbon tubulars. some really nice wheels that seem to be sitting at ridiculous prices. i ended up acquiring one to many. instead of selling the extra set, i ended up giving them to a friend.

Pegoready
02-20-2018, 10:45 AM
Part of the problem is all classified postings are treated the same.

Postings with a saddle or a roll of bar tape drown out bike and frame postings.

I wish people wouldn't make a bunch of postings for little individual rinky dink items and bump all of them everyday.

btanner
02-20-2018, 12:05 PM
This is getting off-topic but would it make sense to divide the classifieds into categories like complete bikes, framesets, parts, apparel? I suspect this has been debated previously.

Pegoready
02-20-2018, 12:23 PM
This is getting off-topic but would it make sense to divide the classifieds into categories like complete bikes, framesets, parts, apparel? I suspect this has been debated previously.

I think that would get too confusing. Pink Bike is organized like that and it is really cumbersome to use.

Clean39T
02-20-2018, 01:10 PM
It's definitely a buyer's market on this forum. Not that it hasn't always been, but sellers here seem to be getting routed more than usual on sweet framesets and bikes. Perhaps it's shifting them back to online auctions and Craigslist?

Facebook groups are becoming a bigger thing; and there are more local options now too (we have our Oregon Bike Racing Association listserv for example).

Plus I haven't been churning as much as last year, so there's that :banana:

brewsmith
02-20-2018, 08:06 PM
Market was tough this winter so I stopped bumping my frames here and sold elsewhere. Especially for something not steel and traditional.

I think winter is a big part of it. I have sold/tried to sell a few bikes and framesets over the past few months and movement has usually been slow or I have let go of stuff super cheap, even locally. I have a feeling once spring rolls back around things will pick up....

OtayBW
02-20-2018, 08:33 PM

It just seems there are less bikes offered up here lately than usual. I'm used to the swings in a bunch of small bikes followed by large bikes, but it just seems kina dry lately......thoughts?See Clean39T. I think he has cornered the market!....:rolleyes:

Kirk007
02-20-2018, 10:55 PM
There is certainly a lack of nice bikes with a 58 toptubes.
Never been this hard to source a cool frame before as the last couple of years imo.

I think because of the reduced value of 2nd hand "posh" bikes a lot of the original owners decides to keep them instead of letting them go for what may seem like very little money if you paid retail.

yep. I've got a C50 (58.7 top tube btw), frame bought used, that I should sell but its hardly worth the bother. It's a pristine frame, I spent a lot of time building it up with new components, it rides great, but in this market I'd have to part it out to get close to what I have into it. Not worth the trouble, not that many 63 cm C50s out there.