PDA

View Full Version : Which S&S case?

thejen12
10-05-2006, 03:03 PM
I've ordered a custom bike with S&S couplings, eventually I'll have to pick out a case. I was thinking of getting the one with wheels on the end and on the side so you can pull it either way, but it also sounds like it might be a pain because the case doesn't have a telescoping handle to keep it from biting you in the back of the ankle as you pull it.

Any opinions/experiences?

Thanks, Jenn

gone
10-05-2006, 03:17 PM
I've got one of the edge pull cases without telescoping handle (which seems prone to breakage to me) and have done gobs of walking through train stations with it and find that it pulls very easily. Here's a picture (from the S&S web site):

eddief
10-05-2006, 03:19 PM
i've got the one pictured above and it works fine for me. don't underestimate the general pain in the arse dragging a bike might be. on the other hand the s and s stuff is well thought out and has worked well on my trips.

Bradford
10-05-2006, 03:22 PM
Another thumbs up for the edge pull, hard case. We've taken the Tandem to Canada twice and it has worked well. I have two, one for the bike and one for the wheels. The tandem and assorted bits get right up to 50 lbs and no problems so far.

I don't have experience with the other case, but the one I have is just fine.

billrick
10-05-2006, 03:30 PM
Co-Motion has a good website with descriptions of the different cases:

http://www.co-motion.com/travmenu.html

I have been using the soft-sided backpack version for a while with pretty good results. Pretty good = a few paint chips in 1/2 dozen trips, but nothing severe.

EDIT - I should note that I am traveling with a mountain bike, never pack it as carefully as I should, and have the bag maxed out and overstuffed with 29er wheels and disc brakes. You won't have these problems with your new Rex!

:)

Serotta PETE
10-05-2006, 06:35 PM
I have the one pictured above and it has worked fine for me (once I get the bike in it). SPOKES started drinking after he packed my bike for OTTROTT!!!

Smiley
10-06-2006, 08:12 AM
I just ordered the new plastic or ABS covered case from S&S , the old cases price went way up , they used to be $ 300 and now they are $ 395 , the new ABS case is $ 340 msrp and its lighter and my guess just as good as the older heavier case , the new Edge case is about 1.5 pounds lighter and this may mean something to you. The price is lighter and that meant something to me since I needed to order the compression members and TSA net and tube covers , it all adds up. best of luck in your travels . Smiley

thejen12
10-06-2006, 05:20 PM
I just ordered the new plastic or ABS covered case from S&S

Great, let me know how you like it! That's probably the one I would order, although I was considering the one that pulls length-wise and width-wise.

Thanks, Jenn