PDA

View Full Version : Getting back on the bike after Aortic Valve and Root Replacement Surgery.

bocarider
02-20-2018, 06:14 AM
So after 5 years of monitoring the root of my aorta dilate into an aneurysm and my aortic valve leak go from moderate to severe, I elected to have valve and root replacement surgery 4 weeks ago. My surgeon advised me that, even though I never had any symptoms, was riding my bike just fine and otherwise felt OK, I should seriously consider getting it done while I was relatively young (56) and otherwise in good shape. My other option was to wait, wake up one morning with congestive heart failure, which would damage my otherwise healthy heart, and then have the surgery. I decided to get it done and chose a tissue valve, which has a limited lifespan, but would not require that I take blood thinners, which would be an issue for a lot of lifestyle choices, including limiting my ability to ride my bike the way I want. Luckily, the next valve replacement, when this one wears out in about 17 years, can be done by way of a catheter, so I will not have to have another open heart surgery.

The surgery was no picnic - I was in the hospital for a week, had some complications that were typical and all resolved and I am now 4 weeks post op, walking 4 miles in the morning and 2 or 3 in the afternoon and generally feeling good. I go for my post op follow up later this week and expect that I will be cleared to do cardiac rehab and get back on my bike (in a stationary state to start, which is fine with me).

I am hoping some other forum members have some experience in getting back on their bikes after open heart surgery and can share their experiences with me. Specifically I am interested in the following:

-what did you do to start out?

-how did you go about building up from your starting point?

-how did you deal with the anxiety that you were dealing with “new equipment” in there and maybe you were injuring yourself or pushing too hard?

-what type of fitness level were you able to build back up to? I was a pretty fit cyclist and, while I gave up riding fast when all of this valve stuff started 5 years ago, I still rode 4 days a weeks, did a lot of longer rides, did a lot of bike travel with some big climbs and rode a few charity centuries each year. I’d like to get back to that level.

Any insights you can offer would be appreciated.

Thanks very much.

Bentley
02-20-2018, 06:27 AM
I cannot add any insight regarding your recovery but happy to hear it went well. I suspect that attitude had a lot to do with how well your recovery has gone so far. I have tons of experience with Orthopaedic issues, best advice I can offer is to follow your Doc's directions very strictly.

Good Luck

Ray

biker72
02-20-2018, 12:25 PM
I had a quintuple bypass in 1987. Much older technology then. These days people are recovering much faster.

After 3 weeks I was walking 3 miles a day. The surgeon said that I could do anything I thought I could do but no heavy lifting for a while. My breastbone didn't fully heal for almost a year. I tried lifting a heavy milling machine vice around month 7 and realized very quickly that it was too soon. Nothing cracked but it was sure uncomfortable for a few days.

Any strange chest discomfort was added anxiety. Other than the afib I had before the surgery there were no problems. I was not a cyclist and didn't get into cycling for another year but burned up the sidewalks walking.

Listen to your doctors.

gasman
02-20-2018, 03:46 PM
bocarider-

This is huge surgery as you already know. While i haven't had it I know several that have. A good cardiac rehab program will guide you as to what you can and can't do, listen to them. It's going to take longer than you probably want but you'll be back riding well by the end of the summer I would guess from your age and the fitness level you started with.

Best of luck.

cadence90
02-20-2018, 04:12 PM

thwart
02-20-2018, 07:59 PM
My surgeon advised me that, even though I never had any symptoms, was riding my bike just fine and otherwise felt OK, I should seriously consider getting it done while I was relatively young (56) and otherwise in good shape. My other option was to wait, wake up one morning with congestive heart failure, which would damage my otherwise healthy heart, and then have the surgery. I decided to get it done and chose a tissue valve, which has a limited lifespan, but would not require that I take blood thinners, which would be an issue for a lot of lifestyle choices, including limiting my ability to ride my bike the way I want. Luckily, the next valve replacement, when this one wears out in about 17 years, can be done by way of a catheter, so I will not have to have another open heart surgery.

Meanwhile as we debate Campy vs Shimano, and tubulars vs clinchers... some slightly more important choices and decisions outlined here. ;)

Glad to hear you’re doing OK!

Talk with your cardiologist and chest surgeon, they should be able to give you some decent guidance about activity. Don’t know if cardiac rehab is planned for you or not, but that’s obviously one of their focus areas.

MattTuck
02-20-2018, 08:47 PM
Oh man. No advice, just wishing you the best of luck and hoping your road to recovery goes well.

bigbill
02-20-2018, 08:54 PM
The only experience I have is a MI in late 2011. After I was cleared to exercise, it felt like I was starting over from scratch. Part of it was the beta blockers I was taking that caused my heart to very slowly respond to exercise. Once I was off those, my fitness returned relative quickly, your body remembers but it felt different than before the MI. Only about a year later did I feel normal again.

paredown
02-21-2018, 06:47 AM
I'm please to read that there are recovery program facilities for those coming off heart surgery/heart attacks. When I was still racing BITD, we had a handshake deal with the guys running a first version of this in Vancouver--they let us use the facility in return for having access to us for testing.

This was an absolutely formative experience for me as a young guy, since I got to see these "old" guys (remember I was 20ish at the time and invincible) show up all pale and shaky, doing almost nothing on the exercise bikes under full supervision after their experience--and then seeing the remarkable visible improvement over a fairly short period of time.

If you need the support and are worried about how your body is going to react, I think a recovery program might be the ticket--if only to put to rest that background conversation/fear about whether your body might not be up to it.

I have not had the experience of major surgery, but have just gone through a second round of kidney problems that required hospitalization, surgery and meds, and the other thing I would caution is--take it easy, and listen to your body. As one of my Docs says, "Bodies want to heal"--but we have to be patient and give them some time when we have experienced serious problems.

Best wishes for recovery to you and Cadence!

onsight512
02-21-2018, 12:36 PM
I had an AVR in November 2011 and went with a tissue valve. I was 42 y.o. and chose the tissue valve for some of the same reasons as you state.

At that point in time the only cycling I was doing was commuting six miles to work each day in Las Vegas. I'd do the occasional ride just for fun and I distinctly remember climbing a small rise that I'd pedaled up a few times before. What a difference! Whereas in the past I'd reach to top with legs, lungs, and chest burning, this time, although my heart was pounding, there was only 'pain' in my lungs and legs. Wonderous.

I've now had this valve for seven years and sometimes I forget that I have it.

Best of luck to you with your recovery.

C

bocarider
02-22-2018, 07:40 AM
Thanks for all of the kind and thoughtful replies.

cnighbor1
02-22-2018, 01:40 PM
when back on a bike I would do what I did after my stent was installed
do what I did do a very flat ride at a moderate pace around your neighborhood See how you feel If ok do it again but a bit longer ride

keep adding to what you do

acid reflect was my problem Hard to tell if just that or heart attach for acid take an anti acid pill ask doctor first I keep some around when needed

Ralph
02-22-2018, 01:49 PM
Inspiring story. Best to you as you continue to recover.

msriddle
02-22-2018, 09:03 PM
Glad to hear things are going well.

Thanks for sharing your story.

classtimesailer
02-23-2018, 12:38 AM
6 years ago this past November I did the same thing at 53. Yea. Complications. They ended up cracking me open a second time at six weeks to replace my valve. The first surgery was to repair the aortic root. I was pretty adamant about not replacing my valve unless absolutely necessary. I was off the road bike 12 weeks. You'll be fine. Get on the stationary bike now. Just sit and pedal with little/no resistance. Get your ribs moving. The one thing I regret is not focusing enough on breathing. my surgeon removed all restrictions right away. My cardiologist said take it easy. I started using strava right after surgery and it is a easy way to track progress--HR and times over segments. I was commuting 38 miles rt pretty soon and starting the local group ride too. I mean starting! I was off the back while some guys were still finishing their coffee. I could hang on part of each incline a little further each time mixed with bad days and slumps. I befriended a fellow heart patient who had a similar valve job and he got on the trainer on the day of his release. He was racing again within the year. I raced CX again but sucked worse even with the upgrade to 55+
It's an adventure for sure. I think you can see past years on strava Jeff hazeltine.

bheight1
02-24-2018, 07:28 AM
Glad to hear your recovery is going well, because as you stated the procedure and first few days after are no picnic. 4 weeks out and your walking regime is great and as someone stated, while you don’t have clearance to drive, get on stationary trainer and keep doctor informed. Getting back on feet and getting lungs functioning are essential to recovery obviously letting your incision heal. My special day was Jan 30 and made first club ride Apr 1. The surgery gave me “new life” and changed perspective/priorities. I just wanted to be able to ride again which I do now enjoyably and find no need to push the muscle to extreme in excess. While I’ve broken many bones that heal, I don’t want to go through again if I can prevent. My HR reset and is now slightly higher than prior, and while I didn’t want to remain on medication, I take low dose, inexpensive, low toxicity one to keep HR from getting too stressed and help with BP, follow your Dr’s orders and discuss options. Good luck, the muscle is incredibly resilient and I wish you well, speedy recovery.

bocarider
04-21-2018, 09:01 AM
12 weeks post op - back on the bike.

biker72
04-21-2018, 10:54 AM
Great news...:) That's pretty quick recovery time.