PDA

View Full Version : Specialized Saddles: Romin Evo / Power / Power Arc

Benjamin
02-19-2018, 04:36 PM
New bike has a Fizik Aliante R5 which I don't hate, but is causing occasional nether region discomfort that I can't quite nail down with adjustments.

I've had a Romin on my CX bike for 5 years or so and I love it. I know it's been redesigned a bit, but am considered one for the new bike.

Talked to the LBS which recommended the Power, then I started reading about the Power Arc - some say it's more like the Romin, but I can't really get a clear understanding of who the Arc is for.

I ride a Canyon Endurace, mostly in the hoods and elbows. I'm 6'1" 180 (hopefully heading towards 170 soon), and have narrow sit bones, according to the Ass-o-meter, which recommended a 130 Romin or 145 Power.

So...

I like what I'm reading about the Power, but worried that it's mostly designed for drop riding, which I don't do a lot of.

I like my old Romin, how's the Romin Evo different?

Power Arc really a cross between the two?

dbnm
02-19-2018, 04:41 PM
I had the S-Works Power for 2-3 rides. I found it too flat and too hard (not enough padding) so I sold it.

I bought the S-Works Arc and love it. Great shape and great padding. And just 134 grams.

I've been on some long rides (60+ miles) and it's really nice.

The saddle I had before this was the Selle Italia SLR Super Flow.

rnhood
02-19-2018, 05:47 PM
I did not feel the Power was any better in the drops than on the bars. A very good saddle mind you, and I liked it - whether in the drops or on the bars. But the Romin just suited me a little better, and it's been my primiary saddle for years (although I am now riding a Montrose).

The Romin is somewhat contoured for the anatomy, without going overboard like the Aliante which is too rounded and the nose too narrow. The Power is a more flat saddle, targeting the sit bones. The Power Arc appears to me to be somewhat in the middle. Its well worth trying if you don't like a saddle that is primarily flat.

It's impossible to determine if a saddle will suit you from someone else's experience so trying them is really the only solution. But comments can help steer you. A good example of personal fit is the fizik Aliante. There are people on this forum that absolutely love it. Sagan loved it. There are people I ride with that love it. Yet it's one of the worst saddles I've ever ridden. I absolutely hate it.

glepore
02-19-2018, 07:11 PM
I have all... the Romin is a great conventional saddle with a wide cutout and a long nose. The Power is a very different saddle that you'll love or hate, it's very comfortable in one position. I know that sounds like a knock, but its so good there that you don't need to move, and if you get it optimized for that spot, its killer. The arc works for a certain portion of the population that would like the power but find the outer width (not the sitbone width, that's different) of the Power too much, such that it interferes with the inner thigh or the nerves along same. It has more "tumblehome" for these folks, but less support away from the sitbones. Hope that helps.

PNW
02-19-2018, 07:32 PM
I had the S-Works Power for 2-3 rides. I found it too flat and too hard (not enough padding) so I sold it.

I bought the S-Works Arc and love it. Great shape and great padding. And just 134 grams.

I've been on some long rides (60+ miles) and it's really nice.

The saddle I had before this was the Selle Italia SLR Super Flow.

I'll have to try the arc sometime. Specialized website says it's 141 grams for a 143.

dbnm
02-19-2018, 07:43 PM
:)

PNW
02-19-2018, 07:43 PM
:)

FREE 7 GRAMS!!!! :banana:

dbnm
02-19-2018, 07:46 PM
I weighed some other things
https://www.instagram.com/davidb.davidb/

rnhood
02-19-2018, 07:50 PM
The nice thing about Specialized is their 30 day trial (Trek also offers this on their Bontrager saddles). It can be done direct or via their dealer. Top shelf company.

Benjamin
02-19-2018, 10:32 PM
Very good info, thanks.

This is making me think the Power Arc may be a good choice for me. Going to see if the LBS can arrange a demo.

I weighed some other things
https://www.instagram.com/davidb.davidb/

Very entertaining Instagram! Makes me want to do some riding in the Southwest.

tylercheung
02-19-2018, 10:51 PM
I might have set it up wrong, but the Power cut into the backs of my thighs. The Romin basically disappeared under my butt, so I like it the most.

BdaGhisallo
02-20-2018, 04:36 AM
I have been riding the Power for the last two years and recently tried the Power Arc. I am also a past user of the Romin and briefly tried the Romin Evo. I have not tried the Romin since they redesigned it, doing away with the two models.

The Power feels great for me in 155mm. There's lots of real estate to park my backside on and the cut out and short and narrow nose is great for my larger diameter thighs. I found the Power Arc in 155 to be too narrow out back. I thought I would like having more room for my thighs when the leg was extended with the rounded profile at the back, but the 155 felt much too narrow. I knew that as soon as I mounted it up and rolled down the street. Perhaps if the Arc came in a 168 I might give that a try.

I do find that the Power is very sensitive to the angle you set it at. It takes me a few rides to get it set up exactly where I want it. But that could be me as I am quite finicky with my setup - setting my shifter position on the bars can be a multi-week endeavor!

The Power Arc reminds me of the old Romin Evo - curvier and swoopier - and feels like it runs smaller than the normal Power. I always found the traditional Romin to be great and the transition to the Power was a cinch.

guru
02-20-2018, 05:44 AM
What set back are most are riding their Power Arc, its 3cm shorter in the nose
(3cm further back than regular saddle)?

BdaGhisallo
02-20-2018, 05:58 AM
What set back are most are riding their Power Arc, its 3cm shorter in the nose
(3cm further back than regular saddle)?

That 3cm difference is taken off the nose of a normal saddle, so to speak, so increase your setback by the full 3cm and start from there.

glepore
02-20-2018, 07:08 AM
+1. You want the sweet spot of the Power directly where the most supportive position of your previous saddle was. Setup is key, I had one that had slipped a bit and I thought I hated the bike and saddle until it was leveled out again. I like it exactly level or -1 degree down, using an iphone bubble level.

And second the sensation that the arc is narrower.

Depending on how you feel about Chinese copies, you can get an excellent 183 g copy of the expert for 25 bucks from China. The shape is true, so if you hate it you're not out the huge price that these go for retail. The carbon knockoff is closer to the Arc in shape.