PDA

View Full Version : Amount of glue?

Gothard
10-05-2006, 01:15 PM
No, not for sniffing...
I am preparing a set of tubular wheels that I got with so little glue it was a joke.
So far, I used the first tube of Conti glue to put 2 layers of glue on the rim and 2 on a Conti Sprinter tub. There is enough left in the tube to do half a rim

So if I am correct I will need a bit more than 2 tubes to do the 2 wheels (from scratch, no glue anywhere when I started). Is that correct or am I using too much?

terrytnt
10-05-2006, 01:28 PM
From my experience, that is slightly more than I would use. I recently mounted brand new Campy Neutron rims and was able to get by with one tube (Mastix) per wheel/tire combo.

You're correct, that first time rims will use a bit more glue, so I don't think you were excessive... I tend to use less not more (but then I don't race).

Certainly, once you change your next tire, you'll find a thin coat on the rim and back-tape of the tire will consume somewhat LESS than a tube.

hope this help... great to have another tubie on board!!!

The real pleasure of riding is maximized with tubulars :beer:

Too Tall
10-05-2006, 01:31 PM
Think in terms of more thin layers is way better than fewer thick layers...you are doin' OK my friend. Make sure you get the basetape saturated...scrub the glue in really good for the first coat esp.

Welcome aboard :)

Gothard
10-05-2006, 01:38 PM
Thanks. There is something that appeals to me in the tubulars (now that I have learned to use them properly, and i the Contis in particular, which were also the most confortable clinchers I had.
Offto the shop for a third tube, now that I know I am not way off. Luckily they *gave* me the first two tubes with the rest of the purchases.

Too Tall
10-05-2006, 01:42 PM
G- Silly me, noticed infact you post from Switzerland correct? Envious of your digs friend.

Gothard
10-05-2006, 01:48 PM
TT,
Yup Switzerland. Not much to shout about.... :D

zeroking17
10-05-2006, 03:29 PM
The Continental tubulars used to lack a coating of latex on the base tape (and maybe they still do). As a result, the base tape really sponged up the first couple of coats. Don't spare the glue; you don't want to have second thoughts about this when descending one of those supremely beautiful passes in Switzerland.