PDA

View Full Version : Recommendation on 700 32 hole gravel rim for a clyde.

DRZRM
02-19-2018, 10:13 AM
Hey folks, here's my question for the day. I've talked about this before, but my frame is getting close in the cue, and I wanted to update the question. I'm 6'3" and ride at around 220 lbs. I have a custom disc gravel frame coming in that is being built to clear 40mm+ plus on 700s and 47mm on 650b. I have a pair of Industry 9 Torch hubs laced 28 hole to Enve M60 rims. To take advantage of increased volume, I'll run these with the more aggressively treaded tire, so if I see trails I'll use these wheels/tires. I have a second pair of 32 hole I-9 hubs, and I plan to build up another wheelset with 700s that will see gravel roads, but less real offroad trails. So maybe lighter (or given that the 650B are carbon at least similarly weighted, the Enve rims are 422 grams), faster tires (thinking Schwalbe G-One in 38, or something like that as close to 40 or 42 as will fit).

So my question is what rim to use? I'm torn between a widish alloy (25 to 28 exterior should fit fine) likely offset for strength, and trying out a less expensive carbon rim (can't afford another set of Enves, couldn't really afford the first). They will be run tubeless.

Most of the DT Swiss rims I've considered have a weight limitation I'd be just over. I'm tempted by Chinese carbon rims, but realize that carbon doesn't offer that much benefit over alloy clinchers and choices for 32 hole are limiting. Maybe a Pacenti Forza asymmetrical, or the HED Belgium Plus disc. Any sleeper rims I have not heard of?

I'm not looking to replace my road bike or get to a one bike quiver, so I don't need road wheels. They should be burley, but that said I'm pretty light on wheels for my size.

Thanks for your advice.

oldpotatoe
02-19-2018, 10:22 AM
Hey folks, here's my question for the day. I've talked about this before, but my frame is getting close in the cue, and I wanted to update the question. I'm 6'3" and ride at around 220 lbs. I have a custom disc gravel frame coming in that is being built to clear 40mm+ plus on 700s and 47mm on 650b. I have a pair of Industry 9 Torch hubs laced 28 hole to Enve M60 rims. To take advantage of increased volume, I'll run these with the more aggressively treaded tire, so if I see trails I'll use these wheels/tires. I have a second pair of 32 hole I-9 hubs, and I plan to build up another wheelset with 700s that will see gravel roads, but less real offroad trails. So maybe lighter (or given that the 650B are carbon at least similarly weighted, the Enve rims are 422 grams), faster tires (thinking Schwalbe G-One in 38, or something like that as close to 40 or 42 as will fit).

So my question is what rim to use? I'm torn between a widish alloy (25 to 28 exterior should fit fine) likely offset for strength, and trying out a less expensive carbon rim (can't afford another set of Enves, couldn't really afford the first). They will be run tubeless.

Most of the DT Swiss rims I've considered have a weight limitation I'd be just over. I'm tempted by Chinese carbon rims, but realize that carbon doesn't offer that much benefit over alloy clinchers and choices for 32 hole are limiting. Maybe a Pacenti Forza asymmetrical, or the HED Belgium Plus disc. Any sleeper rims I have not heard of?

I'm not looking to replace my road bike or get to a one bike quiver, so I don't need road wheels. They should be burley, but that said I'm pretty light on wheels for my size.

Thanks for your advice.

DT511 or Velocity Blunt rims.

David Kirk
02-19-2018, 10:42 AM
HED Ardennes in the 25 mm.

dave

02-19-2018, 11:49 AM
Or HED Belgium. I like the DT rims, and they are a good bit cheaper, but I find the alloy is a bit softer and for gravel they tend to get dings more easily. HEDs generally are impervious to damage. But we're picking nits. You'd be happy with either. The biggest issue for a clyde is the builder. Talk to OldPotatoeHead or Ergott here for a really good build.

DRZRM
02-19-2018, 12:21 PM
Thanks all, that is serious depth of knowledge between you three. Just to clarify:

1. in response to Dave, Ardennes are wheels only right? If I'm building around existing hubs with HED I'd be building Belgiums, right? Or are there now Ardennes rims available.

2. So both the HEDs and the DT Swiss 511 are non asymmetric. Does that not matter? I like the DT Swiss 411 asymmetrical disc, but their weight limit is 110 kgs (so 242 lbs)for the "system" and I assume system includes bike, gear and rider, which I'll be over at my heaviest? I imagine with a 32 spoke build it might be OK, but I don't want to push the margin on a bike that will be knocking around on gravel roads. 11.4, I build my own wheels (about 16 sets now) and they've held up well. That said, I'm always amazed how much spoke tension drops when you air up a tubeless road tire, and I'd prefer to have better balance between the drive and non-drive side to build a solid wheel even with that change. Of course I'll be running much lower air pressure on tires this big, I don't image I'd ever need more than 50 PSI on a 40mm gravel tire, right? So I'd be experiencing less spoke tension drop when the tires are full. How much does asymmetric/offset hub drilling matter for longevity?

.RJ
02-19-2018, 12:31 PM
Easton R90 SL. I love mine. Easy tubeless setup, stiff, 28H.

CMiller
02-19-2018, 12:41 PM
The DT Swiss 511 is a beefier rim than the 411 which recommends a max weight of 130kg~285 pounds

bigbill
02-19-2018, 01:24 PM
Cracked Easton R90 SL and got the wheelset rebuilt by Old Potatoe with DT 511's. It's more narrow but that worked for me because of my road bikes. What about Boyd Altamont's?

hollowgram5
02-19-2018, 01:38 PM
I was gonna suggest Boyd's as well. The two versions are the same in width, just vary differences in depth. Lots of hole count options too 24,28,32.

oldpotatoe
02-19-2018, 01:49 PM
OffCenter rear certainly does make the non drive side tension closer to drive side but it’s not essential. HED another good choice but $$. Great rims but not 50% better than a DT511....imho

palincss
02-19-2018, 02:57 PM
Wouldn't you be better off with 32 or 36 spokes?

.RJ
02-19-2018, 03:05 PM
I would take a DT 460 over the 511. Wide & strong.

PacNW2Ford
02-19-2018, 04:42 PM
If you're using the "second pair of 32-hole hubs", then "28-hole rims" may not be the best choice. The math works better when they match.

02-19-2018, 04:44 PM
So both the HEDs and the DT Swiss 511 are non asymmetric. Does that not matter? I like the DT Swiss 411 asymmetrical disc, but their weight limit is 110 kgs (so 242 lbs)for the "system" and I assume system includes bike, gear and rider, which I'll be over at my heaviest? I imagine with a 32 spoke build it might be OK, but I don't want to push the margin on a bike that will be knocking around on gravel roads. 11.4, I build my own wheels (about 16 sets now) and they've held up well. That said, I'm always amazed how much spoke tension drops when you air up a tubeless road tire, and I'd prefer to have better balance between the drive and non-drive side to build a solid wheel even with that change. Of course I'll be running much lower air pressure on tires this big, I don't image I'd ever need more than 50 PSI on a 40mm gravel tire, right? So I'd be experiencing less spoke tension drop when the tires are full. How much does asymmetric/offset hub drilling matter for longevity?

For gravel I wouldn't worry. Your wheel detaches more readily than on concrete or asphalt and the soil still absorbs more shock than concrete or asphalt does. Asymmetric rims help a bit to even out tension but a good wheel build does more. You probably won't be quite as fast on gravel as a lighter rider, and speed when hitting a pothole or whatever is a bigger factor than the weight behind the wheel. It's only downhill where you lose any advantage, but there you are more at risk of losing control so you want to ride a bit more cautiously there anyway. And you'll want to pick a pressure where you don't bottom out -- a clyde can do more damage to a rim if you get all the way down to the rim wall. All in all, though, I wouldn't worry too much. Those rims are pretty bulletproof and so are spokes these days. Just use standard DT Competitions or the like, brass nipples, and do a good build.

bitpuddle
02-19-2018, 05:02 PM
2. So both the HEDs and the DT Swiss 511 are non asymmetric. Does that not matter?

I don’t think so. The Belgium+ is 21mm internal, tubeless ready and would be very strong laced 28 2x. That kind of thing would be my default choice for something like this, just because I’m comfortable with the strength and quality of those rims (though there are lots of great rims in the category).

The new are 202s are quite nice, i9 has some interesting products out, ... Lots of great components to choose from.

ergott
02-19-2018, 05:11 PM
Can you clarify if you are looking for 28 or 32? The hubs you mentioned were 32.

What size tire are you planning on running with 700C?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

DRZRM
02-19-2018, 05:58 PM
If you're using the "second pair of 32-hole hubs", then "28-hole rims" may not be the best choice. The math works better when they match.

Sorry everyone, typo. Enve 650b that will run 47ish are 28 hole, fewer spokes than i usually run, but I understand that the Enve's should be fine on 28. The 700s I will build will be 32 hole. Sorry, I really do need a copy editor whenever I write anything.

PacNW2Ford
02-19-2018, 07:26 PM
Thanks for playing along

ergott
02-19-2018, 08:04 PM
If you want something wider take a look at the Boyd Kanuga rim. Offset and 25mm internal width. Should be a good match for 38mm and wider tires.

weisan
02-20-2018, 09:28 AM
I think any of these would work for you.

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=218098

oldpotatoe
02-20-2018, 09:39 AM

As rims? OP looking for rim suggestions, not wheels. He has 2 sets of hubs.

Sorry everyone, typo. Enve 650b that will run 47ish are 28 hole, fewer spokes than i usually run, but I understand that the Enve's should be fine on 28. The 700s I will build will be 32 hole. Sorry, I really do need a copy editor whenever I write anything.

imho, of course...:eek:

DRZRM
02-20-2018, 10:57 PM
Eric, looks like a very nice rim, but I don't see it offered alone as a rim,
just as a wheelset. Maybe that's just something they do for wheelbuilders? Got a link?

If you want something wider take a look at the Boyd Kanuga rim. Offset and 25mm internal width. Should be a good match for 38mm and wider tires.

WeisanPal, looking for disc tubeless rims, otherwise they are perfect. Liberace is a great seller here, I'd highly recommend anyone who has rim brake needs to reach out.

ergott
02-21-2018, 07:23 AM
I spoke with Boyd and I can get them, probably other builders with an account. Did you want to build them yourself?

DRZRM
02-21-2018, 11:22 AM
Yeah, the plan is to build them myself. Obviously the Boyd is a nice rim for my needs, but there are a number of good options here...as well as the option of cheap carbon.

I spoke with Boyd and I can get them, probably other builders with an account. Did you want to build them yourself?

oldpotatoe
02-21-2018, 12:11 PM
Yeah, the plan is to build them myself. Obviously the Boyd is a nice rim for my needs, but there are a number of good options here...as well as the option of cheap carbon.

Look at ‘offtgefrontracing’ for some pretty decent carbon rims.

wpod
02-21-2018, 01:17 PM
Really liking my alloy Kinlin XR31T OC (http://www.bikehubstore.com/category-s/246.htm)'s and they offer a disc version as well. I'm a tad girthier then you at 104KG, but these have proven pretty bomb proof. Standard ymmv of course.