PDA

View Full Version : Buying from Craigslist

Veloo
02-19-2018, 08:44 AM
or Kijiji.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEEYmpN112c

Ken Robb
02-19-2018, 09:33 AM
TOO FUNNY! And it's followed by some funny bits about couples in the shower.

instantturtle
02-19-2018, 10:07 AM
You know Craigslist gets a bad rep - I’ve never had a bad experience on Craigslist (3 bikes/bought and sold) except the one time the guy tried to buy a helmet off of me for $20 when I was asking $100. My fault I sold it to him but my wife was already freaked out I was meeting in a parking lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nickl
02-19-2018, 01:38 PM
My understanding the state police in my area allow Craigslist exchanges in their parking lot. Perhaps this arrangement helps minimize troublesome transactions.

newellbt
02-19-2018, 02:02 PM
lol Craigslist buyers drive me batty

semdoug
02-19-2018, 03:02 PM
I have generally had good experience but sure need to plan for flakes when both buying and selling.

zzy
02-19-2018, 03:06 PM
As annoying some some CL people can be, there are really great deals out there. And it's nice to sell someone a really good bike and know they'll be happy with it.

kppolich
02-19-2018, 03:08 PM
I love craigslist and have sold 5 or 6 bikes as well as about 15-20 macbook pros on there over the years. One thing I would always do as a seller was overdress. Not sure why, but I rarely if ever got talked down. I did have a clergyman use the Lord as a way to a discount when I was selling him a computer for the church. I remember him asking if there was any discount for churches? I said- sure, why the hell not- I need all the help I can get. Solid dude, and I ended up with some repeat business.

Peter P.
02-19-2018, 07:41 PM
"Internet Purchase Exchange" locations are sprouting up at many police departments. Google the phrase and add your state or other locality.

They either advertise it on their web site, or give them a call. There will typically be a sign on the building or in the appropriate parking spaces at the PD. The area is under constant camera surveillance. Since my local PD doesn't have a visitor parking lot, they allow internet exchanges right in their lobby.

If there isn't one in your town, check adjacent towns.

C40_guy
02-20-2018, 08:59 AM
I've bought some stuff on CL, most recently a couple of MacBooks. I do some research ahead of time, including checking the serial number of the machine to verify AppleCare coverage...

And I look the other party up on LinkedIn. Both times they turned out to be very interesting people, with solid reasons for selling lightly used gear.

Both transactions were done in public places, a restaurant and a hotel lobby. If their LinkedIn background had not been stellar, I probably would not have pursued the purchase, let alone do it in a place without police nearby. :)

Additionally, I will not sell anything at my house. I'm happy to arrange a meeting in a public place...but I don't want an unknown person sniffing through my stuff. :) (Exception will be made for longstanding forum members...)

etu
02-20-2018, 09:58 AM
before craigslist, didn't people just look up classified either in the newspaper or get a copy of the local recycler. were these transactions any different? didn't you call someone and arrange a time to meet and examine merchandise. is it the increased volume or has something changed?

MattTuck
02-20-2018, 10:12 AM
before craigslist, didn't people just look up classified either in the newspaper or get a copy of the local recycler. were these transactions any different? didn't you call someone and arrange a time to meet and examine merchandise. is it the increased volume or has something changed?

It's a known fact that the world was a better place back in the day. People were nicer and more honest. There weren't bad people. Don't question the popular narrative.

sloar
02-20-2018, 10:15 AM
Ive had nothing but great experiences from craigslist sales. I've me a couple guys that ended up being very good friends. About six years ago I placed a wanted to buy ad and I received an email from a guy who had what I wanted. I asked for a photo and he told me he doesn't do photos. I got to his house, he had what I wanted plus about 400 bikes and enough frames and parts to build another 400. We have been good friends ever since.

C40_guy
02-20-2018, 10:26 AM
Ive had nothing but great experiences from craigslist sales. I've me a couple guys that ended up being very good friends. About six years ago I placed a wanted to buy ad and I received an email from a guy who had what I wanted. I asked for a photo and he told me he doesn't do photos. I got to his house, he had what I wanted plus about 400 bikes and enough frames and parts to build another 400. We have been good friends ever since.

In '91 I sold a set of used Gislaved snow tires via the "Want Advertiser", a printed version of CL. :)

The buyer and I have been best friends ever since!