PDA

View Full Version : C59, keeper?

booglebug
02-15-2018, 10:42 PM
Have the opportunity to see a Colnogo 59 demo frame. Never ridden carbon but have carbon forks on most of my bikes. In the stable, Eriksen Ti, Seven Ti, DeSalvo steel and Peg Steel, yes I’m blessed. None of these bikes were built for me but were eBay finds but have bought and sold several frames and kept the ones that hit the spot. What can I expect from a full carbon ride? Once committed to buy the frame it is mine, frame not built up.57 yrs old 6”1 and 180lbs and ride hilly terrain, some short and steep, some 7% 40 minute climbs and also do centuries 3-5 times a year. Please no steel vs carbon debate as I’d like to ride them all. Have read many great reviews on this frame but just wondering how this would compare to the frames I have. My frames are mostly built for comfort and looking for a lively feel fast frame .

beeatnik
02-15-2018, 10:48 PM
Get it.

FlashUNC
02-15-2018, 10:56 PM
Uh, yes, get it. Carbon doesn't feel like steel and vice versa. That's a good thing for both.

KarlC
02-15-2018, 11:19 PM
If it's a sloping TT pass, if is traditional TT and a color you like it's a keeper.

gngroup
02-16-2018, 01:28 AM
Buy it. Mine fits 27mm tires and handles like a dream. I’ve ridden gravel, centuries, and raced it. C59 is a pretty amazing bike!

weisan
02-16-2018, 03:35 AM
Boggle pal, what took you so long to catch the carbon bug? :D

Give it a try.

Is ok if you don't like it.

No guarantee. not even colnago.

Is personal.

I got several carbon bikes. They don't all ride the same.

Is like wine tasting. Find your personal taste. :D

If you just want to sample what a carbon bike feels like without throwing in too much money, try a Giant Advanced carbon bike. Cheap.Carbon.Awesomeness.

tv_vt
02-16-2018, 08:06 AM
I'm a big ti fan, but my carbon Look and Serotta bikes are really fun to ride, too. As long as the fit is good, give it a try. It will give you a broader perspective on how bikes can ride. And resale should be pretty good if you decide you don't like it (which would surprise me).

Clean39T
02-16-2018, 08:18 AM
Bikes are fun. Have fun with them. I say buy n try!

R3awak3n
02-16-2018, 08:22 AM
I just bought a carbon bike a few months ago. I am really liking it. Very different than steel but enjoyable in a different way. It is good to have different materials, I will probably have a carbon and steel bike from now on. Maybe add a TI at some point.

Also, never tried a C59 but it is definitely on the list.

booglebug
02-16-2018, 08:40 AM
Would you guys consider a C59 "comfort carbon" or "performance carbon" ?

PBWrench
02-16-2018, 08:50 AM
Colnago C's are both. My C40 has always been my go to frame for centuries, but also fast group rides.

texbike
02-16-2018, 09:32 AM
While they're not a C59, I do have a C40 and a C50. They ride every bit as good and are easily the equal of my Vamoots or steel Pegoretti (old Custom Team). Colnago's C series bikes are all pretty nice.

Texbike

KarlC
02-16-2018, 09:53 AM
Its been said many times that the C59 is a great balance of comfort and performance, the C60 lost some of the comfort.

Also its now being said that Colnago made the C64 more like the C59, a great balance of comfort and performance

SoCalSteve
02-16-2018, 10:06 AM
If it's a sloping TT pass, if is traditional TT and a color you like it's a keeper.

If it’s a traditional TT pass, if it’s sloping TT and a color you like it’s a keeper...:eek:

El Chaba
02-16-2018, 10:07 AM
If it fits you, get it.

C50
02-16-2018, 10:11 AM
Here is my take from a very biased Colnago fan, you have some very very nice bikes in titanium and steel and the C59 is an equivalent level bike in carbon fiber. It won't be the same as your ti and steel bikes which is a good thing because you already own those so why duplicate what you already have? Not all carbon fiber is the same but the C59 will represent carbon fiber done on a similar level to what you are used to riding in your other materials. Besides material, you will also experience Colnago's approach to building a bike regarding geometry which a lot of people like and some that don't and that is ok, you can decide for yourself if it delivers what you like in how a bike feels.

I have owned a C40 (B-stay version just before the C40 B-stay HP) and then the first generation C50 HP and now a C59. I happened to be at the Taipei Bike Show when the C60 was unveiled but the day before I left for that trip I paid for the ring I had made to propose to my now wife. I remind her pretty frequently that she is wearing my C60 on her finger (and then let her know that I made the right choice) and I have not spent any quality time on the C60 so I can't comment on it from any real experience. The C59 for me does what any great bike should, it feels great just cruising along casually but any modern bike should be able to accomplish that because we are really living in a time of lots of amazingly good bikes. Where I think all of my Colnago's have shined is that the faster or harder or more demands you put into it the better it gets. To this day I am still impressed by how incredible it feels and responds the harder the ride gets whether that be flat out speed in a group, climbing at the limit or the amazing stability the faster a descent gets it just does everything well. Truly, the only limitations are the engine in my case. I would personally recommend going for it and experiencing it for yourself.

I did mention to my wife that the C64 was just introduced . . . She looked down at her ring and said that a matching necklace would be a nice anniversary present but she understood that the necklace would have to wait!

Spaghetti Legs
02-16-2018, 10:13 AM
I ride mostly old steel bikes but have a C40 and an EPS (precursor to the C59). I was shopping for a C59 but the EPS was too good a deal to turn down. I'm very happy with it. Mine is a sloping geometry and it feels different from my other bikes, I think primarily because of the large and tall head tube.

I would definitely go for it in your shoes. I think lugged carbon is where it's at and a C59 would make a wonderful complimentary addition to a steel and Ti bike collection. what I know of the C59 (researching it while shopping for one) and experienced with the EPS, is that it will be a comfortable, light, do everything bike.

Johnnysmooth
02-16-2018, 11:32 AM
I love my steel '96 vintage DeRosa but have also thoroughly enjoyed the carbon bikes I have had the pleasure to have owned including my current top ride, a C60.

Carbon is different than steel and you'll notice it but for the type of riding you do and age - you're almost identical to me, you'll really enjoy it.

So...

Just Do It!

booglebug
02-16-2018, 04:35 PM
Some very helpful insight! Have done quite a bit of research and can’t find any negative feedback on this frame but value the option of this forum the most. As mentioned, guess I got the carbon bug and wanting to make the right decision. Have narrowed it down to the C59 and Look 585 but most 585s are well ridden,have found a couple 59 demo bikes in my size so hope to travel to see the frame in a couple weeks. Thanks for your help

rePhil
02-16-2018, 04:56 PM
You won't go wrong with either one. With the correct fit I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

Some very helpful insight! Have done quite a bit of research and can’t find any negative feedback on this frame but value the option of this forum the most. As mentioned, guess I got the carbon bug and wanting to make the right decision. Have narrowed it down to the C59 and Look 585 but most 585s are well ridden,have found a couple 59 demo bikes in my size so hope to travel to see the frame in a couple weeks. Thanks for your help

bob heinatz
02-16-2018, 06:50 PM
You will never know unless you go for it. Many here have added carbon to their stable and most have been very happy.

C40_guy
02-16-2018, 09:20 PM

Second that!

The C59 is the last model that offers a horizontal top tube in my size. Not sure I’ll upgrade from my C50. :)

uber
02-17-2018, 07:12 AM
I agree with the above posters. If the frame is a good fit for you it would be great to try it. Adding a carbon frame to your collection could be great. I am no expert on anything Colnago. My personal experience is that although a race bike, the C bikes balance comfort and performance. My C60 feels less aggressive than top of the line Pinarello's and some other monocoque race frames, but this in no way keeps me from going faster. I think many Colnago frames have a timeless appeal as opposed to many other older frames that look dated. Let us know what you decide.

adub
02-17-2018, 09:35 AM
I've primarily ridden my C59 for the past 3 years and no plans to "upgrade" to a C60 or C64.
My only beef is I can't run a Conti 25 in the front, too tight. I'm sure a tire that measured a true 25mm would be fine.

marciero
02-17-2018, 09:41 AM
Give it a try.

Is ok if you don't like it.

No guarantee. not even colnago.

I think Colnago is the exception!

alancw3
02-17-2018, 10:33 AM
I think Colnago is the exception!
yep i would have to agree with you. the only big company that has stood the test of time. great for them.

rallizes
02-17-2018, 10:38 AM
I'm curious what a demo C59 goes for

booglebug
02-17-2018, 02:10 PM
The one I’m looking at is $2250

KarlC
02-17-2018, 02:34 PM

That's just for the frame set or the full bike ?

C40_guy
02-17-2018, 03:08 PM
I've primarily ridden my C59 for the past 3 years and no plans to "upgrade" to a C60 or C64.
My only beef is I can't run a Conti 25 in the front, too tight. I'm sure a tire that measured a true 25mm would be fine.

I'm running Conti 4000S 25mm tires on my C50. Clearance is pretty tight both front and rear...but they do fit.

I'm running Campy Eurus wheels, maybe a difference in rim width?

Matthew
02-17-2018, 03:23 PM
Get it. I have an EPS and love it. Also have a Moots and carbon Serotta. Love all three and they are all different. Have a friend that has a beautiful C59 and she loves it. I say go for it!!!

gngroup
02-17-2018, 03:30 PM
I'm running Conti 4000S 25mm tires on my C50. Clearance is pretty tight both front and rear...but they do fit.

I'm running Campy Eurus wheels, maybe a difference in rim width?

I think it depends on the model year. My C59 fits 27mm Pave tires in HED Belgium rims and obviously the equivalent in tubular. My C40 on the other can only take 24mm Pave.

booglebug
02-17-2018, 05:20 PM
That's just for the frame set or the full bike ?

Frame and fork, was hoping to get it for 2 or under. What would be a good price since these are hard to find in new shape?

KarlC
02-18-2018, 09:46 AM

Frame and fork, was hoping to get it for 2 or under. What would be a good price since these are hard to find in new shape?

Ive been seeing C59s sell in the $1400-$1600 range, at $2250 your not far off from what a C60 fame set might sell for.

booglebug
02-18-2018, 03:34 PM
Ive been seeing C59s sell in the $1400-$1600 range, at $2250 your not far off from what a C60 fame set might sell for.

Guess I should hold out for one in your price range. Hard to find these in new condition though.

cadence90
02-18-2018, 03:43 PM
$2250 for frame + fork...mechanical/rim brakes or electronic/rim brakes or electronic/disc brakes?

booglebug
02-18-2018, 04:31 PM
Mechanical, rim brake. That is what I prefer on the road, have disc on gravel and mtn bikes but not wanting disc on a dry day road bike. Guessing by reply’s that the price may be a little steep but wanting a near new frame.

cadence90
02-18-2018, 04:38 PM
Mechanical, rim brake. Guessing by reply’s that the price may be a little steep but wanting a near new frame.$2250 for frame/fork mechanical, even in excellent condition, is high. But it really depends on the relative rarity of the size, color, condition, availability, and your disposable income, of course.

In addition, only you will know if a C59 will be a keeper but I seriously doubt that if you were to try to re-sell it you would recoup close to $2250.

GonaSovereign
02-18-2018, 04:40 PM
Would you guys consider a C59 "comfort carbon" or "performance carbon" ?

The C59 (and all C-series bikes, including the EPS and Extreme Power) are RACE BIKES. Full stop. You will see enthusiasts riding them and that’s cool, but they’re made to go fast and win bike races.