PDA

View Full Version : mavic brake lever tech question...anyone?

timto
10-04-2006, 09:37 PM
I had started to build a project I had kicking around for a while - an old fillet GT Edge frame (excell tubing!), with a mavic group I had found a while back.

The issue is with the brake levers - I think I'm missing some piece to them but wanted to see if anyone could confirm?

They appear to be the last gen aero style brake levers - black hoods with elegant blades - trouble seems to be where the cable housing 'docks' into in the body - the cable slots through the lever fine but the hole that the cable threads through to reach the cable housing is so huge the housing passes straight through! Without the ability of the housing to stop on the brake body - I can't create any cable pull - and no brake effect. The housing just moves with the lever.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=12843&highlight=mavic+group

I know this is a bit obscure but thought I'd throw it out. Any leads? Thanks in advance!

The levers look like these...

Tim

Brian Smith
10-05-2006, 04:27 PM
You're probably missing the ferrules for them.
Just like Steve mentioned in your linked thread, those Mavic brakes were Dia-Compe produced, BRS500 was the Dia-Conpe model name, iirc, and there are some housing stop ferrules which prevent the housing from being "sucked" further up into the lever body when you pull the lever. If you're parts shopping savvy at all, you should be able to locate some still around.
I have multiple sets of those brakes around, but no excess ferrules for you, sorry.