PDA

View Full Version : Dynamo wheel built advice

zoom2zoom
02-14-2018, 05:55 PM
I had a wheel with SON28 dynamo and DT Swiss TK540 disk rim and thought i felt really heavy. Now i like to built another wheel with shutter precision PD8 that i got a good deal on

Can you recommend an affordable 32h light rim and spokes for my pavement
commute?

Thanks in advanced

ergott
02-14-2018, 06:37 PM
There are a few to choose from:

Pacenti Forza
DT 411
Boyd Altamont Lite
Kinlin (a few different models)
Hed Belgium

The Kinlin option is the least expensive of the bunch, but all will build into some good wheels if you do it right.

muz
02-14-2018, 06:59 PM
I think the first question is if you would like to use a disc specific rim. That would be lighter, but then you can't re-purpose it on a rim brake bike.

zoom2zoom
02-14-2018, 07:14 PM
I think the first question is if you would like to use a disc specific rim. That would be lighter, but then you can't re-purpose it on a rim brake bike.

It will be disk specific wheel

muz
02-14-2018, 07:50 PM
It will be disk specific wheel

The nice thing about dynamo hubs, the disc versions don't really have a downside -- you get the same flange spacing for rim brake and disc brake hubs. So, many people use a regular rim so they can move it to another non-disc frame in a pinch.

Having said that, what do you plan to have for the rear rim? I am just building a set with Pacenti CL28 28h rims, using SP SL-9 (centerlock) and Shimano CX75 hubs. Those are no longer made, but Pacenti Forza looks good to me.

Tall
02-15-2018, 07:26 AM
Second question would be: How wide a tire are you planning to use?
Third question: Do you need/want compatibility with tubeless tires?

oldpotatoe
02-15-2018, 11:59 AM
I had a wheel with SON28 dynamo and DT Swiss TK540 disk rim and thought i felt really heavy. Now i like to built another wheel with shutter precision PD8 that i got a good deal on

Can you recommend an affordable 32h light rim and spokes for my pavement
commute?

Thanks in advanced

DT411
DT460
Velocity Aileron

Just use standard, 2mm/1.8mm/2mm double butted spokes and brass nipples.