PDA

View Full Version : Does carbon attract more dirt?

muz
02-14-2018, 05:40 PM
I recently got a yellow carbon bike and I notice a fine black dust on it after every ride. Seems to be extra bad around the brake calipers.

Now, there are a couple differences. My other carbon bike is nude, so probably the dust is not so visible. But I don't see even close to this on my steel bikes. Also I normally use KoolStop salmon pads, but this new bike has Dura Ace 9000 original pads.

So, what is the culprit? Does it have to do with static electricity attracting the dust, or is it the OEM pads? Or am I crazy?

Kontact
02-14-2018, 05:49 PM
So, both bikes are carbon, and only one has black dust, and you think it is because of the fact that is carbon (like the other one) and not because it is the only one with black brake pads?

muz
02-14-2018, 05:51 PM
Well, no. I have an older carbon bike I don't ride much these days. I just noticed it on the new yellow bike. Are you suggesting an experiment with controls?

This reminds me: many fellow riders (on carbon bikes) comment on how clean my steel bikes look...

Kontact
02-14-2018, 05:58 PM
Well, no. I have an older carbon bike I don't ride much these days. I just noticed it on the new yellow bike. Are you suggesting an experiment with controls?

I guess I'm suggesting that if I had had black stuff on the one bike with black pads, it wouldn't have occurred to me that the frame material they both use was to blame.

If I had two bikes with the same pads and different frame materials, then I might have jumped to thinking one frame has more electrostatic attraction than the other.

Or maybe the paint is to blame. Or the rim material. Or something else on the bike's finish.

FlashUNC
02-14-2018, 06:31 PM
Its totally the static electricity and possible etheric force.

Kontact
02-14-2018, 06:41 PM

So, not phlogiston, then?

Matthew
02-14-2018, 08:04 PM
Umm. One's yellow and the other is nude, therefore darker. Pretty simple really. Dust shows more on yellow.

Charles M
02-14-2018, 08:17 PM
Different paint
Different pads
(probably) different rims...?

whats the comparison / question again?

cadence90
02-14-2018, 08:22 PM
Different frame flex.

lhuerta
02-14-2018, 10:55 PM
no

soulspinner
02-15-2018, 06:43 AM
not if it has Pedros Bike Lust on it....;)

Tickdoc
02-15-2018, 07:47 AM

what he said.

FlashUNC
02-15-2018, 09:26 AM
So, not phlogiston, then?

You could never rule that out, but it's so much rarer than etheric force polarization.

If you've got the special set of divining rods, I suppose you could rule it out.

benb
02-15-2018, 09:44 AM
I maybe feel like there are certain things that are harder to clean off carbon for whatever reason, probably more the finish than anything else.

IME this is just the painted carbon frames. The first frame I had was just a clear coat and must have had a different finish.

The thing that really stand out to me as marginally harder to clean off are:
- Any drips of electrolyte drinks
- Road tar
- Bits of rubber from tires/brake pads
- Dead bugs/dried up leaf material

We are talking real marginal stuff here though. It all sticks to steel/aluminum too it's just AFAICT with what I use for cleaning I might be scrubbing a bit longer on the carbon.

My current carbon frame is mostly white, which is a huge disclaimer.. it shows everything. My steel frame is light blue though, it's not like it's black or something that hides dirt really well.

CiclistiCliff
02-15-2018, 09:49 AM
Residual static from the mold release

OtayBW
02-15-2018, 02:52 PM
You could never rule that out, but it's so much rarer than etheric force polarization. Except when there is an inversion....:eek:

Saint Vitus
02-15-2018, 04:08 PM
This reminds me, I need to wash my bike. Damn thing's a mess!