PDA

View Full Version : Gravel ride goes through this dude's house

icepick_trotsky
02-14-2018, 01:42 PM
Pretty wild.

https://deadspin.com/bike-race-course-goes-directly-through-mans-living-room-1822968711

dem
02-14-2018, 02:06 PM
Cobbler is fun - I did it last year. Lots of varied terrain from single track, creek crossings, fire roads, vineyards, cow pastures, rocky bumpy paths, slot canyons with zig-zag switchbacks, deep sand, crazy hill climbs and various shenanigans (jello shots at the top of a 50% grade, etc.)

Highly recommended if you're in the area. It makes those wide open fire road events look pretty dull. :)

jtakeda
02-14-2018, 02:12 PM
Pretty wild.

https://deadspin.com/bike-race-course-goes-directly-through-mans-living-room-1822968711

Ha.

I’ll have to ask my friend who did it this year.

SlowPokePete
02-14-2018, 05:33 PM
my wife would definitely say no to that

SPP

jruhlen1980
02-15-2018, 11:10 AM
Saw some video from that over the weekend, looked like a blast.

But the deadspin article (not exactly noted for their awesome cycling coverage) said a 55% grade at one point.

Um... sure.

sandyrs
02-15-2018, 11:22 AM
Saw some video from that over the weekend, looked like a blast.

But the deadspin article (not exactly noted for their awesome cycling coverage) said a 55% grade at one point.

Um... sure.

That quote:

This is not out of character for the Rock Cobbler, whose organizers also forced competitors to hike their bikes up a 55 percent grade, according to Guiniling.

Two things...

1) Patrick Redford writes pretty solid for-the-masses bike racing coverage during the grand tours and classics; he knows what a 55% grade is.
2) This is quoting a racer (who may have been estimating) describing a hiking section. What's so implausible about that?

Mark McM
02-15-2018, 12:30 PM
One year, the Devens cyclocross race (in Fort Devens, MA) had the riders carry their bikes up a short, nearly vertical esker. Riders had to shoulder their bikes and pull themselves up hand over hand (some grabbed exposed roots of trees on the top of the esker to pull themselves up).

This course was not repeated.