PDA

View Full Version : Clicking noise from rear derailleur

PNW
02-13-2018, 11:48 PM
My bike was actually very quiet (SR 11) with HED/King wheels. I put on my new Bora’s with the same chorus 12-29 cassette and now with every pedal stroke it makes a clicking noise. Does anyone know what this could be? I don’t think the hanger is bent causing rub somewhere but have no idea and it’s driving me nuts!

CiclistiCliff
02-13-2018, 11:52 PM
Mice.

Is the chain contacting the FD?

PNW
02-13-2018, 11:54 PM
Mice.

Is the chain contacting the FD?

No, it’s not. It’s coming from the rear though. I don’t get how it can be silent and perfect then clicking now..strange.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lhuerta
02-14-2018, 12:08 AM
....not every 11-speed hub is spaced identically. When u install a different wheel from different manufacturer, u may need to adjust cable (barrel adjuster) in order to align chain given that ur cassette may not sit in the exact same spot, in relation to ur dropouts.

PNW
02-14-2018, 12:13 AM
....not every 11-speed hub is spaced identically. When u install a different wheel from different manufacturer, u may need to adjust cable (barrel adjuster) in order to align chain given that ur cassette may not sit in the exact same spot, in relation to ur dropouts.

Okay! Thanks for the help!

oldpotatoe
02-14-2018, 06:09 AM
My bike was actually very quiet (SR 11) with HED/King wheels. I put on my new Bora’s with the same chorus 12-29 cassette and now with every pedal stroke it makes a clicking noise. Does anyone know what this could be? I don’t think the hanger is bent causing rub somewhere but have no idea and it’s driving me nuts!

Every pedal?
Shoe/cleat?
Crank arm hitting front der or crank hitting cable end of front der.

Ralph
02-14-2018, 06:19 AM
Skewer. Change to another temporarily.

madsciencenow
02-14-2018, 08:40 AM

There’s a fairly lively discussion on this topic under a recent thread regarding the merits of Shamal Milles v. Mavic R-SYS if you want some additional fodder to consider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ken Robb
02-14-2018, 09:39 AM
I had the end of a derailer cable get bent into a new position where it made a tick-tick on every pedal stroke.

parris
02-14-2018, 12:10 PM
Check what Ken said. I've had this happen and it drove me nuts till I stumble onto the cause. Then it was full facepalm time.

R3awak3n
02-14-2018, 01:33 PM
I would start by removing the wheel and putting it back in again. If that doesnt solve it, put the old wheel back and see if the noise is gone.

Also I would not assume the sound comes from the RD, I have had sounds that I thought were coming from BB and it was the seatpost or the hubs or ....

loxx0050
02-14-2018, 04:33 PM
I had a custom built wheelset that the rear spokes came a little loose which was just enough for my wheel speed sensor magnet to actually hit the sensor arm (Garmin GSC-10). Drove me nuts trying to figure it out when it popped up halfway through my first ride with these wheels (about 1.5 miles from the end is when I figured out the actual cause).

On my MTB didn't realize there were small stickers on the disc brake rotors. It made an interesting flapping/clicking noise that I couldn't fully figure out the source...until my brother pointed it out to me (he bought the exact same bike too).