PDA

View Full Version : Bike tours during ToC?

torquer
02-13-2018, 12:35 PM
Ten years ago, I attended a riding camp based in Solvang during the week of ToC (then scheduled in February.) Only time I've ever done anything like that, but I had a great time. (Thanks, Hampco!)
Fast forward, my wife has taken up cycling, and is asking about our vacation plans, so it occurs to me, why not Cali again (this time as a couple), combined with some spectating?
Trek travel has a tour planned that looks like it follows the race from Santa Barbara North, but my wife is worried that her fitness level isn't up to what would be required, but doesn't want to be in the "non-rider" group either.
So, anyone done a Trek tour, and how do they deal with slower riders?
And are there any other options we should be looking at?

marciero
02-14-2018, 06:00 AM
No direct experience, but from what I've gathered over the years, most of these non-"training" type tours seem to go to lengths to accommodate riders with varying fitness, often by offering choice of routes with different mileage and/or climbing; perhaps navigating around bigger climbs. If the tour follows the Tour route, mileages may be less flexible though. If she is okay with the distances you may be able to eliminate some climbing, if you are okay with that. I am assuming that you plan to ride at your wife's pace, correct? You may also be able to reduce mileage on longer days by taking SAG support to some point on the route.