PDA

View Full Version : Best Recomended Rides in San Diego ?

KarlC
02-13-2018, 12:01 PM
I'm a local, but have not been riding all that long, so I thought it would be cool to see what some of you might recommend.

Inspired by this thread ... https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=217669

bigbill
02-13-2018, 12:11 PM
SDBC rides, all levels, multiple distances.

dave thompson
02-13-2018, 12:13 PM
A whole bunch of great discussions:

https://forums.thepaceline.net/search.php?searchid=3592761

KarlC
02-13-2018, 01:10 PM
A whole bunch of great discussions:

https://forums.thepaceline.net/search.php?searchid=3592761

Yea I had read some of those, most are really old, so was looking for some newer input.

Thx

ptourkin
02-13-2018, 02:51 PM
Are you looking for group rides?
The classics in San Diego on Saturday are SDBC as mentioned, Chili's and Swami's.

On Sunday, Flojos in East County is fast. My club, Adams Avenue does chill recovery rides from the shop on Sunday. On Wednesday, it's the classic Pendleton ride for sprinters and various world champions. For after work, it's the velodrome or the Fiesta Island Worlds.

If you're just looking to ride by yourself, get off the coast and do the Great Western loop and associated climbs.

Gummee
02-13-2018, 03:08 PM
Yea I had read some of those, most are really old, so was looking for some newer input.

Thx

The rides are pretty static. They didn't change the entire decade I was riding in Sandy Eggo.

Personally? Race track. Much more fun than any crit or RR I've ever done.

M

bigbill
02-13-2018, 03:36 PM
Are you looking for group rides?
The classics in San Diego on Saturday are SDBC as mentioned, Chili's and Swami's.

On Sunday, Flojos in East County is fast. My club, Adams Avenue does chill recovery rides from the shop on Sunday. On Wednesday, it's the classic Pendleton ride for sprinters and various world champions. For after work, it's the velodrome or the Fiesta Island Worlds.

If you're just looking to ride by yourself, get off the coast and do the Great Western loop and associated climbs.

The Adams Ave rides are great. I used to do them after doing well in the B's or barely hanging on to the A's on Saturday.

rheosibal
02-13-2018, 04:17 PM
+1 on Adams Ave. My old roommate is a mechanic there and their routes look appealing.

Only ride I have really done is the Dirty Devil route by CCSD. It's a pretty great route (mix of gravel and pavement) starting in Alpine (so a bit outside of the city)

woodworker
02-13-2018, 04:19 PM
Specifics might help.

Group or solo? [SDBC, Ride, Moment, Adams, Swami's, Revolution]

Hills or relatively flat? [Palomar, Kitchen Creek, Great Western vs. Coast, Elfin]

What part of the County--East, North, Coast? [See above]

Rough distances?

ptourkin
02-13-2018, 04:39 PM
+1 on Adams Ave. My old roommate is a mechanic there and their routes look appealing.

Only ride I have really done is the Dirty Devil route by CCSD. It's a pretty great route (mix of gravel and pavement) starting in Alpine (so a bit outside of the city)

If you lived with Spot, I'm scared.

The Dirty Devil is no mas. Rob and Jo of CCSD moved back to NY but they are still running the 508. The route is epic but you have to adjust a bit to do it without sag. I'm working on making it a 200k permanent for San Diego Randonneurs but there's an issue with getting water after you leave Viejas/Descanso.

KarlC
02-13-2018, 05:14 PM
I live above Old Town San Diego, up by Presidio Park and Ive done .....

SDBC B rides and a few A rides.
Other shop rides - Ride, Moment, Revolution (My buddy owns Revolution)
Fiesta Island regular on Tuesdays, Wednesday and a few Worlds (Thursdays)
Palomar, Mt Soledad (5 sides in a day) and of course the up the Coast, down to Coronado and back.

I have yet to do and dont know what some of these are ....

Chili's, Swami's, Flojos, Great Western, Kitchen Creek, Great Western, Elfin.

No Adams Avenue rides yet - Spot build up my SpeedVagen with my Campy SR, great guy.

ptourkin
02-13-2018, 05:59 PM
I live above Old Town San Diego, up by Presidio Park and Ive done .....

SDBC B rides and a few A rides.
Other shop rides - Ride, Moment, Revolution (My buddy owns Revolution)
Fiesta Island regular on Tuesdays, Wednesday and a few Worlds (Thursdays)
Palomar, Mt Soledad (5 sides in a day) and of course the up the Coast, down to Coronado and back.

I have yet to do and dont know what some of these are ....

Chili's, Swami's, Flojos, Great Western, Kitchen Creek, Great Western, Elfin.

No Adams Avenue rides yet - Spot build up my SpeedVagen with my Campy SR, great guy.

Rad! He's an old friend. Chili's starts at the Mission Valley Chili's so it's pretty close to you. Usually there's a group from Adams headed down. Look into our club - GSAAB - people are usually planning something on non-race weekends, etc...

Gummee
02-13-2018, 06:14 PM
Rad! He's an old friend. Chili's starts at the Mission Valley Chili's so it's pretty close to you. Usually there's a group from Adams headed down. Look into our club - GSAAB - people are usually planning something on non-race weekends, etc...

Is that the old Stadium ride?

Elfin is the loop thru the Elfin Forest. Fun road. Hilly

I never did Swamis. Too many hammers on a Sat for me. I'd race Tues at the track, then do the Thurs Fiesta Is ride, so another hammerfest wasn't in the cards.

M

ptourkin
02-13-2018, 06:48 PM
Is that the old Stadium ride?

Elfin is the loop thru the Elfin Forest. Fun road. Hilly

I never did Swamis. Too many hammers on a Sat for me. I'd race Tues at the track, then do the Thurs Fiesta Is ride, so another hammerfest wasn't in the cards.

M

https://www.strava.com/activities/993473

The stadium ride still happens on Wednesdays with some veterans.

New Monday and Wednesday track classes are registering now.

KarlC
02-13-2018, 07:19 PM

What day and Time is the Chill's ride ?

Are there the only GSAAB Rides ? Either Hammer fest in the dark or Casual Sunday ride ?

Monday 7:00 PM MONDAY NIGHT SMACKDOWN! - This is a real fast 30 mile ride that leaves the shop at 7pm sharp and all riders are required to have lights. This ride takes no prisoners so be prepared to put out some serious watts!

Sunday 8:00 AM Sunday Morning No Drop Road Ride: Designed to be a learning experience for the entry level road rider or just a nice casual ride. The ride is led by either Stephen the owner of the shop or long time friend of the shop Hugo. Guaranteed to be a great start to any sunday!

ptourkin
02-14-2018, 08:38 AM
What day and Time is the Chill's ride ?

Are there the only GSAAB Rides ? Either Hammer fest in the dark or Casual Sunday ride ?

Monday 7:00 PM MONDAY NIGHT SMACKDOWN! - This is a real fast 30 mile ride that leaves the shop at 7pm sharp and all riders are required to have lights. This ride takes no prisoners so be prepared to put out some serious watts!

Sunday 8:00 AM Sunday Morning No Drop Road Ride: Designed to be a learning experience for the entry level road rider or just a nice casual ride. The ride is led by either Stephen the owner of the shop or long time friend of the shop Hugo. Guaranteed to be a great start to any sunday!

Yeah. Mostly we do other established rides and race. But the club and the shop are a good place to coordinate riding out to them.

Smackdown is definitely a hammer fest. The guy who just won the Rock Cobbler and many legs of the Red Bull track series etc.. is a frequent participant.

Chili's is Saturday morning. I'm thinking roll out is 8.