PDA

View Full Version : Time Xpresso 15 Pedals

dbnm
02-12-2018, 08:27 PM
I am thinking about trying out these pedals. I've only ever ridden Shimano (mostly Dura Ace).

Anyone else riding these?
https://www.time-sport.com/int-en/time-xpresso-15-pedals-pedals-2017-2018.html

FlashUNC
02-12-2018, 08:30 PM
Used the Xpresso 6,8, and 10 pretty extensively. Avoided the higher number models die to the axle weight limit.

Big fan personally, but they don't have a reputation for durability. The unique float keeps my knees happy though.

andrewsuzuki
02-12-2018, 08:38 PM
features CeramicSpeed watt-saving bearings

hmmmm

PNW
02-12-2018, 08:47 PM
He’s on a weight weenie kick.

dbnm
02-12-2018, 08:51 PM
Yup. Got the moots to 15.4 pounds. Curious if I can get to 14.9

BdaGhisallo
02-13-2018, 04:30 AM
I am thinking about trying out these pedals. I've only ever ridden Shimano (mostly Dura Ace).

Anyone else riding these?
https://www.time-sport.com/int-en/time-xpresso-15-pedals-pedals-2017-2018.html

You should know that Time have just introduced a new model, updating the Xpresso, with some improvements, called the 'XPro'. Check them out before you decide to go with the Xpresso pedals.

https://www.time-sport.com/int-en/time-xpro-10-pedals-pedals-2017-2018.html

Cicli
02-13-2018, 05:18 AM
I have seen far more broken Time pedals than Shimano. Every time I move away from SPL-SL I regret it. Why not stick to your DuraAce?
They work well and dont break too often.

mcteague
02-13-2018, 06:59 AM
I have seen far more broken Time pedals than Shimano. Every time I move away from SPL-SL I regret it. Why not stick to your DuraAce?
They work well and dont break too often.

Yeah, I loved how Time pedals felt but they all seem to break at least according to my experience.

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=170700&highlight=time+pedal

Tim

AngryScientist
02-13-2018, 07:09 AM
i am a dedicated SPD-SL user, and like everything about the shimano pedals. i tried time road pedals a number of years ago, and the feel was much different than the shimanos. very binary "on/off" type engagement. i dont know if all time road pedals feel that way, but i didnt like it.

i'm sure it's something i could have gotten used to, but be aware that the time pedals will probably feel quite different than the spd-sl's you are used to

glepore
02-13-2018, 09:19 AM
I've been on the 12's for about a year. The 15's are silly-Ceramic Speed bearings? In a pedal? Really?

Anyway, the good first-easy engagement, positive, float, nice solid platform.
The bad? inboard bearing is a bushing. There are ways to replace this with a bearing. I just keep mine greased and fingers crossed. No issues, but I'm a small guy. next, the edges of the pedal are razor sharp even though they're plastic. Round them off with a file and you'll be fine. The cleats wear quickly if you walk on them, but they do continue to engage even when well worn.

The other things to consider-first, if you want to try a pair at little cost ($70), they are knocked off and sold on ebay and elsewhere by "Costelo". Very excellent copy, may be from original. Its the same as the 12-ti axle and all. Second, as mentioned, Time has an update out. No word on whether they changed to inboard bearings.

My take-a nice pedal for the weight weenie crowd-of which I'm a member. I don't think a lighter rider sacrifices much of anything with the Times. If durability is your primary concern, Dura Ace is the obvious choice.

El Chaba
02-13-2018, 09:47 AM
My take on the evolution of Time pedals is that the original design back in the mid 80's was the most functionally perfect pedal that has ever been made. Subsequent generations of the pedal have incrementally given up some small bits of functionality for reductions in size and weight. The weight reduction program eventually reached the point where first the pedal body and then the spring and cleat cam are now made of plastic er um composite. The current generation are well within the realm of weight weenie products. They do still operate on the same principle which is still the best-IMHO- as it seperates the separates the force for retention/release from the force restricting foot rotation. Personally, I think that the sweet spot in Time pedal evolution occurred back with the Impact series of pedals, and I hoard those.