PDA

View Full Version : 29er geometry question... of sorts

cmbicycles
02-11-2018, 10:00 PM
What is a typical head tube length for an XL size 29er... If there is such have a thing? I read a couple places that say 4" +/-.

Reason for asking is I have a 29" fork that I saved thinking I'd build a hardtail bike around it some day to replace my 2004 FS bike... stranger things have started builds I'm sure. I am 6'5" so need a bigger frame and have a little over 7.25" of steerer to use. Will it be enough?

echelon_john
02-12-2018, 03:50 AM
Will be close. My Niner XL has a 145mm head tube; uses a zero stack/hidden headset. That would only leave 39.4mm with your fork. Most stems have a 40mm stack height based on your 7.25” measurement.

Other brands/models are in the 130-140mm range.

Let me know if you want to buy an XL EMD9 with or without a Rockshox Reba fork! ; )
JC

Mikej
02-12-2018, 07:45 AM
What is a typical head tube length for an XL size 29er... If there is such have a thing? I read a couple places that say 4" +/-.

Reason for asking is I have a 29" fork that I saved thinking I'd build a hardtail bike around it some day to replace my 2004 FS bike... stranger things have started builds I'm sure. I am 6'5" so need a bigger frame and have a little over 7.25" of steerer to use. Will it be enough?

Typical carbon with internal headset would be 5"+ on an XL. 4" is a Large. As far as Trek 9.8 hard tails go. You could also just check the manufacturer's website of the model you want and go to the geometry chart. Also, at 6'5", you may be at the top end of an XL.

sandyrs
02-12-2018, 07:56 AM
What’s your fork’s travel? Frames designed around longer forks typically have slightly shorter headtubes and since you’re right on the edge of too little steerer, that might help.

Example: the kona honzo is designed for a 120 travel fork. It has a 110mm headtube, but the longer fork and low-ish BB mean the stack is still pretty tall. http://www.konaworld.com/honzo_cr_trail_dl.cfm

Dad2TnR
02-13-2018, 10:25 AM
It all depends on your preference for riding position. At 6'5", I would think think that a 7.25" steerer will put you in a pretty racy/XC position on the bike. Will the steerer be long enough to extend through the steerer tube of an XL frame and have enough room to clamp a stem to it, probably. Will it be comfortable for you to ride, maybe?

The math to figure out if it's long enough to build is pretty straightforward. Whether it fits your preferred riding position is more of a personal decision.

cmbicycles
02-13-2018, 11:23 AM
Yeah, the math is easy if I had a specific frame in mind... though I don't. I was asking in more general terms for those that are more into it, as some people have a good idea right away rather than me delving into geometry pages on a bunch of websites. Kind of thought it would be right on the cusp of too short.
Thanks all for the info.

I decided to just move the fork along and find a frame/fork when i'm actually ready instead of hoarding stuff for a "maybe I'll build something" bike.