PDA

View Full Version : Rapha Core Rain Jackets - Any Experience?

.RJ
02-11-2018, 04:23 PM
I have an older Rapha rain jacket, probably about 5-6 years old now, that's lost its ability to keep water out for the most part. I've washed and re-treated it several times over the years, and I think it's best to relegate it to use as a wind jacket and pick up a new one.

The 'core' line of rain jackets are on sale - https://www.rapha.cc/us/en_US/shop/core-rain-jacket/product/CRR01XX - has anyone used them? I like the red color, I feel like I've got a little more visibility in the rain on the road. I ordered one of the 'core' long sleeve jerseys a while back and really did not like it, it felt cheap and didnt fit all that well compared to the jerseys I already owned.

cgolvin
02-11-2018, 05:21 PM
No experience with this line; have a race cape that has worked well for me on the few times we've had rain.

A word of warning: I have seen a ton of complaints in the RCC Forum about variance in fit across a number of Rapha products and it seems particularly pronounced in the jackets -- arms too long, too flappy, etc.

Consensus seems to be that if you can't make it to a Rapha clubhouse you're best off ordering the two (or even three) sizes that might fit and then returning those that don't. (Now over to the thread about Rapha being slow on returns...)

pdmtong
02-11-2018, 05:22 PM
I have owned the original rain jacket, it's successor and now the "race cape".

We are about to return back to a drought, so my opportunities to ride for a sustained period in the rain have been fewer than in years past. With cheap jackets, i got soaked through the seams or the neck. With better jackets eventually the heat build-up inside from riding leaves me soaked from perspiration.

I would call rapha and ask them. the core jacket seems to me to be a "just in case" piece...marketed as packable, sealed seams, no mention of breath ability. so depending on your need, it may be a solution or not.

the race cape I am happy with and think iit a big improvement over the previous two. I got it on sale a wile back, like the lower cut front so no extra material but the best thing is they use the fat YKK zippers for easy on/off not those tiny zippers that rapha for reason I cant understand seems to like.

for $75 it's hard to go wrong, but I think it really depends on the frequency and duration of usage.

pdmtong
02-11-2018, 05:26 PM
No experience with this line; have a race cape that has worked well for me on the few times we've had rain.

A word of warning: I have seen a ton of complaints in the RCC Forum about variance in fit across a number of Rapha products and it seems particularly pronounced in the jackets -- arms too long, too flappy, etc.

Consensus seems to be that if you can't make it to a Rapha clubhouse you're best off ordering the two (or even three) sizes that might fit and then returning those that don't. (Now over to the thread about Rapha being slow on returns...)

5'10" 170#s
1) XL for shoulders not gut in classic wind jacket / classic lightweight softshell / pro team jacket / pro team race cape
2) L in classic gile / light weight pro team gilet / pro team lightweight wind jacket
3) Cannot wear pro team insulated gilet / jacket - large too tight at waist and sleeves 1.5" short; the XL is waaaaay too big.

dbnm
02-11-2018, 05:29 PM
The complaints on the RCC forum was mostly about the Pro Team insulated jacket and training jacket. Those jackets are seriously poorly designed.

I tried the Core Rain jacket on in the Boulder shop and was pleasantly surprised by how nice it was and how great it fit.

I live in NM and we don't get rain here so I did not buy it.

cgolvin
02-11-2018, 05:32 PM
5'10" 170#s
1) XL for shoulders not gut in classic wind jacket / classic lightweight softshell / pro team jacket / pro team race cape
2) L in classic gile / light weight pro team gilet / pro team lightweight wind jacket
3) Cannot wear pro team insulated gilet / jacket - large too tight at waist and sleeves 1.5" short; the XL is waaaaay too big.

5'8" 165 lbs
1) S in all jerseys other than pro team aero
2) S in pro team gilet (very snug fit but better than flappy)
3) L in race cape -- first ordered a M and couldn't close the zipper past my sternum (this is the previous model, haven't tried on the current)

pdmtong
02-11-2018, 05:39 PM
5'8" 165 lbs
1) S in all jerseys other than pro team aero
2) S in pro team gilet (very snug fit but better than flappy)
3) L in race cape -- first ordered a M and couldn't close the zipper past my sternum (this is the previous model, haven't tried on the current)

2" and 5 #s and now I am a S? really?
my weight varies form about 167-171 #s

cgolvin
02-11-2018, 05:51 PM
2" and 5 #s and now I am a S? really?
my weight varies form about 167-171 #s

Well, I don't know about "now" — I had previously worn M jerseys but have slimmed down just a bit (I might be 160 now, haven't weighed myself) and find I really prefer a race fit so have moved to S. That's in a classic, midweight, lightweight brevet, and the lightweight Coppi (not the wool one).

I think you've said before that your shoulders are the problem — I have pretty wide shoulders too but since the jerseys have so much stretch, and the gilet sits inside the shoulders, I can squeeze a S. The race cape doesn't have much give so it was binding across the chest.

Also, +1 on your comment about the breathability. I like the cape for its water protection but find myself quickly overheating in it.

.RJ
02-11-2018, 06:34 PM
for $75 it's hard to go wrong, but I think it really depends on the frequency and duration of usage.

The rain jacket has a pretty narrow range of use for me, below 40 that I wont set out for a ride in the rain, and above 65 I dont bother, any rain jacket at that temp turns into a sauna quickly. In between though I have no problem going out for a few hours so just depends on the day. Certainly not something that will get used week in/week out, at least not for me in the DC area. Usually if I need something to cut the wind until the temps warm up, I'm wearing a vest, rather than a rain/wind jacket.

pdmtong
02-11-2018, 06:47 PM
Well, I don't know about "now" — I had previously worn M jerseys but have slimmed down just a bit (I might be 160 now, haven't weighed myself) and find I really prefer a race fit so have moved to S. That's in a classic, midweight, lightweight brevet, and the lightweight Coppi (not the wool one).

I think you've said before that your shoulders are the problem — I have pretty wide shoulders too but since the jerseys have so much stretch, and the gilet sits inside the shoulders, I can squeeze a S. The race cape doesn't have much give so it was binding across the chest

all true...also I forgot to note that i need the pieces to fit for up for an all day ride... a lot of the race fit I could wear but after a few hours I would feel like exploding out of them. I do like the nice and snug/tight it..but only for a few hours

tranty0719
02-12-2018, 04:36 PM
I own one in blue. Definitely does the job keeping you dried and pack in your jersey pocket easily. Fit wise probably my least favorite. I wear a small in all the different Rapha line and they fit me nicely. The rain jacket, however seems a little tight around the biceps. I’m 5’8 140lbs. Hope that helps.

.RJ
02-13-2018, 07:37 PM
Thanks for all the feedback. I was able to score a brand new grey one for $100 on ebay, so while not my favorite color, for the price and frequency of use I can live with it. Especially since I just picked up the new bontrager helmet with integrated light mounts, so no excuses for me not to be seen.

fignon's barber
02-14-2018, 06:28 AM
Thanks for all the feedback. I was able to score a brand new grey one for $100 on ebay, so while not my favorite color, for the price and frequency of use I can live with it.

I just clicked on your Rapha link. They are $75, with free returns if it doesn't fit.

.RJ
02-16-2018, 10:32 AM
Should have clarified, grabbed a standard (not core line) rain jacket.

rst72
02-16-2018, 10:36 AM
The complaints on the RCC forum was mostly about the Pro Team insulated jacket and training jacket. Those jackets are seriously poorly designed.

I absolutely love the PT insulated jacket...fit is spot on for me.

curious to what the complaints are.

.RJ
02-17-2018, 08:42 AM
my pro team training jacket is my go-to for between 35-50 degrees, so, basically all winter here. I had to size up from the 'classic' line of jerseys though.

zennmotion
02-17-2018, 02:30 PM
I have an older Rapha rain jacket, probably about 5-6 years old now, that's lost its ability to keep water out for the most part. I've washed and re-treated it several times over the years, and I think it's best to relegate it to use as a wind jacket and pick up a new one.

The 'core' line of rain jackets are on sale - https://www.rapha.cc/us/en_US/shop/core-rain-jacket/product/CRR01XX - has anyone used them? I like the red color, I feel like I've got a little more visibility in the rain on the road. I ordered one of the 'core' long sleeve jerseys a while back and really did not like it, it felt cheap and didnt fit all that well compared to the jerseys I already owned.

Search and State S1J jacket. Yeah, it's too expensive. But if you want a great breathable superlight pocket-friendly jacket, it's pretty great performance-wise, the Schoeller fabric is as good as it gets for breathable material. Only comes in drab darkish colors though. I've used mine for 4 seasons now, realistically using it only a few times a month on average but it's holding up well- though I tend to "wash" it with a simple occasional hand rinse with a minimal amount of woolite. Here's a review, FWIW-- consider the source. But I like it too.

Edit: the "fits true to size" comment in the review is a lie. Order a size larger. I'm 5'10" 170 and almost all my cycling tops and bottoms are M, but the L jacket is a comfortable race-fit snug.

https://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear/the-search-and-state-s1-j-jacket-is-sleek-and-sturdy

rst72
02-18-2018, 02:45 PM
Yes the S&S S1-J jacket is the best. Got mine on the cheap off ebay, but after owning one I'd pay full price if i had to replace.