PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Peg BLE,Storck C 0.9 or Look 585?

kbrown
10-04-2006, 12:08 AM
Wondering if, as a 155lb rider who is more of a climber than a sprinter,if the weight and stiffness of the BLE are such that longer rides are going to prove to be body beaters compared to riding a Serotta,Storck or Look carbon or Ti machines.Any little guys riding these or any of the other Pegs? I would appreciate any feedback.I asked earlier in week if there were any Serottas in a 55cm for sale by the forum users and am still very interested in that option also.Thanks in advance.

swoop
10-04-2006, 12:14 AM
no ble for you. you are too light for it. are you racing or club/group riding?
what are the roads like where you ride?
how long are your rides?
do you like a quick handling bike or something that feels more like a limo?

let's start there.

kbrown
10-04-2006, 08:54 AM
Most of my riding is along the coast on relatively smooth roads with numerous hilly sections.I ride solo during the week and with 1 to 5 other riders on weekends.We normally ride for 2-2 1/2 hours(youngsters waiting at home).As I get into my late 40's,I feel the need for a more forgiving ride since I am not racing anymore.I may do some centuries or perhaps even doubles if training time permits.Thanks for the reply Swoop.

swoop
10-04-2006, 09:10 AM
do you have a budget?

kbrown
10-04-2006, 09:14 AM
I'm trying to stay under $2000 for the frame alone.I don't mind buying used as long as I can gain some assurance that it's in "like new condition".

alancw3
10-04-2006, 09:15 AM
you maybe an ideal canidate for a hors categorie. check with smilie. there is one on ebay right now for an initial price of $900 that no one has bid on yet. what a buy for the right person!!!! i just wish it were in my size.

Fixed
10-04-2006, 09:16 AM
serotta legend ti custom build for your riding needs i.m.h.o
cheers

swoop
10-04-2006, 09:18 AM
i think mr. fixed is correct.at the same time..my good friend ken makes a frame called Parkpre.. you can get a nice carbon bike for well under 2. yes they are made in china.. ken takes quality control very seriously and he is a good bike designer. successful living raced on them for the kast two years. do a google search and see if the stock geom. fits.

it's a very smooth ride for cheap.

Keith A
10-04-2006, 09:23 AM
The problem is that the Legend (as wonderful as it may be) is almost twice what he wants to spend on the frame.

kbrown
10-04-2006, 09:30 AM
I think the Hors is too big as I am barely a 55cm.Does the Legend have a "limo" ride?I do have a line on a Storck C0.9 and a Look 585 both for around $1600 used.Also,a Cyfac Gothic for $2500 which I am not sure I am worthy of.

swoop
10-04-2006, 09:33 AM
I think the Hors is too big as I am barely a 55cm.Does the Legend have a "limo" ride?I do have a line on a Storck C0.9 and a Look 585 both for around $1600 used.Also,a Cyfac Gothic for $2500 which I am not sure I am worthy of.

the look is a nice bike if it fits. yoiu can get a new bike at that price point too.
specialized even has some great ultegra rigs for 2k in carbon.
are you in los angeles?

go to Cynergy Cycles and ask for John.

Bradford
10-04-2006, 09:34 AM
The problem is that the Legend (as wonderful as it may be) is almost twice what he wants to spend on the frame.

Custom yes, but used would be in his range. He can pick up a used legend frame in his range no problem, and could find a complet bike for that money or just a tad over. Even if a Legend isn't like new, it is ti, so it will still ride as well as the day it rolled out the back door in Saratoga.

I am thrilled with my used legend and have the added comfort of knowing it was designed by the legendary bike expert Dave Thompson.

kbrown
10-04-2006, 09:34 AM
There is a 55 cm Peg BLE for sale on the forum that is a knockout orange.I can direct anyone who is interested since it cannot be mine.Dang it.

kbrown
10-04-2006, 09:43 AM
Good guess on the location Swoop but I'm a little farther north in Victoria,BC.

Keith A
10-04-2006, 09:48 AM
Custom yes, but used would be in his range. He can pick up a used legend frame in his range no problem, and could find a complet bike for that money or just a tad over.Indeed. I was referring to fixed's comment about going with a custom Legend which would have to be new. But you are correct, a used Legend (which is how I bought mine) is certainly in his budget.

SponsorsWanted
10-04-2006, 01:39 PM
Have you considered the Pegoretti Love #3? The scandium tuding might meet your climbing style's weight restriction.

SC Will
10-04-2006, 02:24 PM
Hi

I am about your size - 155lbs and I enjoy climbing.

I have a 98 Legend Ti (so it was not custom). I also have a 2006 Look 585. I have been very happy with both bikes. I have over 15,000 miles on the Legend Ti and it is still in beautiful condition - I am not sure that I will ever be able to say that about the Look! That being said I haven't ridden the Legend Ti since May. The Look is more comfortable, seems stiffer in the drivetrain and is 3.5 lbs lighter. Now some of this may be related to different components (DA10 vs DA9) or different wheels so it is hard to make a direct comparison. I will say that I am running Ksyriums on the Look 585 which are commonly considered to be "harsh" riding on this forum, and despite this the Look 585 is still more comfortable.

Good Luck

Will

kbrown
10-04-2006, 02:55 PM
Thanks for your opinions Sc Will.I will consider the Look 585 but obviously if a Legend Ti came along I may have to pounce.

Ken Robb
10-04-2006, 05:39 PM
I think you should strongly consider a Fierte or CDA if you need custom sizing. They Fierte rides like I think you want and a CDA can be made to ride anyway you want. Prices well within your range.