PDA

View Full Version : Vittoria Corsa Control = Pave?

Cicli
02-10-2018, 05:55 PM
Are these the replacement for the Paves?
Sort of read like it and come in all black as well as tan.
Thoughts? Has anyone tried them?

FlashUNC
02-10-2018, 05:56 PM
Yes, they're meant to be a Pave replacement.

02-10-2018, 08:19 PM
They are an optimized (insofar as Vittoria knows how to use that term) wet weather tire. They aren't really intended for the rough roads that the Pave were legendary for, or at least you can use them at your own risk. I find they can detach unpredictably on wet traffic stripes, which Pave's didn't do. However, they are lighter, quite supple, and last a much shorter life so you can achieve the ultimate pleasure of a new tire more often. Unfortunately, in an open tubular, there isn't much else that really replaces a Pave -- Conti's still suck, Challenges still flat, FMBs are like a hand-made prophylactic that feel wonderful for three minutes but then self-destructs, and other tires aren't even in the running. Once companies knew how to make great tires for each riding condition -- Clement gave you the Campionato del Mondo for stradas biancas, the old Pave for pave, the Criterium Seta Extra for training rides, and the Seta Extra Reds for puncturing during criteriums. Those were the days.

oldpotatoe
02-11-2018, 06:30 AM
They are an optimized (insofar as Vittoria knows how to use that term) wet weather tire. They aren't really intended for the rough roads that the Pave were legendary for, or at least you can use them at your own risk. I find they can detach unpredictably on wet traffic stripes, which Pave's didn't do. However, they are lighter, quite supple, and last a much shorter life so you can achieve the ultimate pleasure of a new tire more often. Unfortunately, in an open tubular, there isn't much else that really replaces a Pave -- Conti's still suck, Challenges still flat, FMBs are like a hand-made prophylactic that feel wonderful for three minutes but then self-destructs, and other tires aren't even in the running. Once companies knew how to make great tires for each riding condition -- Clement gave you the Campionato del Mondo for stradas biancas, the old Pave for pave, the Criterium Seta Extra for training rides, and the Seta Extra Reds for puncturing during criteriums. Those were the days.

I hear ya brother..

If it'll fit your frame..

https://www.merlincycles.com/vittoria-pave-evo-cg-tubular-tyre-92388.html?utm_campaign=googlebase-US&utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=shopping&utm_term=Road+Bike+Tyres&ucpo=44480&gclid=CjwKCAiA8P_TBRA9EiwAJrpHM5sLy96XBi1hTCE2UDB1 azhiw-XLMTB6Koga7NiSBGRExPfqDPCDjBoCqWEQAvD_BwE

NYCfixie
02-11-2018, 06:49 AM
Where old Pave tires go to die:
Pave Wallet (https://www.etsy.com/listing/489106883/pave-micro-wallet-blackgreengrey?ref=shop_home_active_22)

thwart
02-11-2018, 08:44 AM
Where old Pave tires go to die:
Pave Wallet (https://www.etsy.com/listing/489106883/pave-micro-wallet-blackgreengrey?ref=shop_home_active_22)

But the ones with the label showing are sold out! :mad:

Nostalgia shots...

Which reminds me... Het Nieuwsblad is coming right up. :banana:

https://img.etsystatic.com/il/749dd9/1073576056/il_570xN.1073576056_c1rw.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/26/Tom_Boonen_28-02-2009_11-29-17.JPG/1280px-Tom_Boonen_28-02-2009_11-29-17.JPG

fignon's barber
02-11-2018, 09:34 AM
I've got about 10 rides on a pair of 25mm Controls. They look like the regular Corsa g+, but have a herringbone tread pattern over the grooves. ride is fine, they do feel a bit heavier than the Corsa G+ though.

jtbadge
02-12-2018, 07:46 PM
I'm definitely curious to try out the 28s. I was thinking of running Veloflex Masters on my Rock Lobster, but the additional volume and (claimed) durability of the Corsa Control is appealing for the LA roads and terrain.

Would love to hear any more real use feedback, if anyone else has these yet.

02-12-2018, 09:45 PM
Would love to hear any more real use feedback, if anyone else has these yet.

My comments, though in jest, were based on actual use. I've had three 28 mm Controls, all black, one front and two rear. My comments were on those three tires. They ride very well and didn't cut much. I found they rode best at lower pressures than other similar tires -- I used them on medium quality chip-sealed and paved roads with 90 psi front, 92 psi rear, and probably could have gone a bit lower. The first rear lasted about 1800 mi before getting a weird slice from, of all things, a fishing hook. The second is doing fine. The front gave no problem. I had ok adhesion but they didn't seem to outperform any other tires on the market. So I'd say they had a slight weight and suppleness advantage and could be ridden at a slightly lower pressure, but not overwhelming and I could have optimized a Pave to get to about the same place. It's not about how tires survive in regular riding; it's when they have irreparable damage from glass or bits of metal. And in rain, we don't have much rain but when we do we wash oil off the road so asphalt can be quite slick. In that specific situation I found that Pave's outperformed anything, especially outperforming Conti's, and the Controls were no better the Pave's but better than Conti's. As usual, YMMV.

jtbadge
02-12-2018, 09:53 PM
My comments, though in jest, were based on actual use. I've had three 28 mm Controls, all black, one front and two rear. My comments were on those three tires. They ride very well and didn't cut much. I found they rode best at lower pressures than other similar tires -- I used them on medium quality chip-sealed and paved roads with 90 psi front, 92 psi rear, and probably could have gone a bit lower. The first rear lasted about 1800 mi before getting a weird slice from, of all things, a fishing hook. The second is doing fine. The front gave no problem. I had ok adhesion but they didn't seem to outperform any other tires on the market. So I'd say they had a slight weight and suppleness advantage and could be ridden at a slightly lower pressure, but not overwhelming and I could have optimized a Pave to get to about the same place. It's not about how tires survive in regular riding; it's when they have irreparable damage from glass or bits of metal. And in rain, we don't have much rain but when we do we wash oil off the road so asphalt can be quite slick. In that specific situation I found that Pave's outperformed anything, especially outperforming Conti's, and the Controls were no better the Pave's but better than Conti's. As usual, YMMV.

That doesn't sound so bad, I guess. At least they're stronger than the regular Corsa G+, right?

Currently riding GravelKings, which are decent and half the price, but I miss the supple ride of the Vittorias.

bigbill
02-13-2018, 07:38 AM
I rode Paves for a few summers here in NE Texas. I'd get them on sale at CC and but 4-5 at a time. Lots of chip and seal around here and they did well on that, not much rain in the summer so I can't really attest to how well they performed there. The biggest negative for me was how debris on the side of the road would tear up the tread, I never wore one out, I just reached my threshold of missing chunks of tread.