PDA

View Full Version : Powertap G3

campy man
02-10-2018, 05:10 PM
Considering a Powertap G3 hub ... hoping the Paceline can educate me on reliability of the hub and/or any other issues. Does it build into a solid & dependable wheel?

Still haven't figured out the head unit, does it only work with the Powertap Joule or something from Garmin, Wahoo, ...?

Looking for heart rate, speed, cadence & power.

echelon_john
02-10-2018, 05:20 PM
It's ANT+, so will work with most any head unit.

You can buy a set of wheels with DT R460 rims and the G3 hub for $549 right now at Powertap...

https://www.powertap.com/product/dt-swiss-r460-alloy-wheels

R3awak3n
02-10-2018, 06:01 PM
I have had 2, well, sold my first one and then bought another one. I really don't need power but I am a data nerd and the g3 is very reliable, easy to use and one of the cheapest PMs (if you look hard and get lucky, can easily be got for $300).

It has been great, very reliable, battery lasts a long time. From reviews I have read it is accurate as well. The only negative thing about a Powertap hub is if you want power on multiple bikes but want to have many wheelsets. If you just have 1 wheelset then its awesome since you can easily change it from bike to bike (pedal change is a PITA for example).

The G3 is ant+ however you can get them ant+ and bluetooth now a days (i you buy an old one you can upgrade it easily). Oh great customer service as well.

I use mine with my garmin, been great, no complaints, would buy again.

jay023
02-10-2018, 06:36 PM
Had mine for a while now. Ant+ unit easily switches to bluetooth by switching the cap. Works well and gives speed and power info

djg21
02-10-2018, 07:25 PM
I have 3 on various bikes. They are very reliable and Saris is great in terms of customer service and support. I would suggest getting the Ant+/BT version. The BT makes firmware updates much easier. I’m about to move to Garmin Vector 3 pedals on my new bike, and still am considering Powertap pedals in the alternative.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mktng
02-10-2018, 07:33 PM
Have a factory G3 allot wheelset. Super reliable. I can..however..understand why people prefer other methods for power measurement. But I don't change wheelsets often on the bike those wheels are on. So it's not a huge issue for me.

Hubs reliable through All weather riding. Not overly heavy. Easy to service.

Sent from my ONE E1005 using Tapatalk

makoti
02-10-2018, 08:41 PM
Had one for years. Now that the Garmin tells me when the battery is low, no issues. I like it.

superbowlpats
02-11-2018, 07:15 AM
I've had one for about 4 years now. I replace the battery about once a year, maybe twice. It just works. and the G3 cadence estimate is good enough for me so I dont have to have an ugly cadence sensor. I do need to update the firmware on it so my Garmin will tell me the battery level. What usually happens to me is the battery dies on my ride and then i have to decide if i want to continue without power measurement or turn around and head home to replace. :bike::eek::help:

R3awak3n
02-11-2018, 07:36 AM
I've had one for about 4 years now. I replace the battery about once a year, maybe twice. It just works. and the G3 cadence estimate is good enough for me so I dont have to have an ugly cadence sensor. I do need to update the firmware on it so my Garmin will tell me the battery level. What usually happens to me is the battery dies on my ride and then i have to decide if i want to continue without power measurement or turn around and head home to replace. :bike::eek::help:

Where do you see the battery level?

I know mine tells me when battery is low but not the oevel of the battery.

superbowlpats
02-11-2018, 07:41 AM
Where do you see the battery level?

I know mine tells me when battery is low but not the oevel of the battery.

Well i dont see it currently. I read online that a firmware update to the G3 will provide that info to my Garmin. I havent really investigated it much yet, will probably look more into it when i have to replace the battery and can do the firmware update. Maybe someone else on the forum has better info. :help:

edit. maybe all i will be able to get is a low battery power warning, not level. right now I dont even get the low battery warning

R3awak3n
02-11-2018, 07:52 AM
Well i dont see it currently. I read online that a firmware update to the G3 will provide that info to my Garmin. I havent really investigated it much yet, will probably look more into it when i have to replace the battery and can do the firmware update. Maybe someone else on the forum has better info. :help:

edit. maybe all i will be able to get is a low battery power warning, not level. right now I dont even get the low battery warning

ahah yeah I have the latest fw and get the low battery warning which I guess is good enough.