PDA

View Full Version : Tubie width recommendation?

KJMUNC
10-03-2006, 08:33 PM
So you guys have finally convinced me to make the swap to tubulars and I've saved up enough scratch from part-time gigs to go after some good tires.

Here's my dilemma though: I don't want to feel like I'm riding on razors, but the only widths Veloflex offers in the Criterium and Servizio Corse are 22 and 20, respectively. I'm used to riding 23's on clinchers, although I had 19's glued to some TT wheels back in the day (but feared every corner). I'm just going to use these wheels for everyday riding, so I'd like them to be durable and comfortable. I'm 190lbs, so I'm leaning towards the 22's....any thoughts from the peanut gallery?

I'd love to pick up a pair of Roubaix's if they made them in black/gum but for whatever reason all I can find is all black.

obtuse
10-03-2006, 08:48 PM
look no further than route de nord gommitalias......best rubber this side of nos stehers....

obtuse

Loro_tomas
10-03-2006, 08:53 PM
look no further than route de nord gommitalias......best rubber this side of nos stehers....

obtuse

Are the 22 gommitalias platinum tubulars also THAT good?

LORO.

obtuse
10-03-2006, 08:57 PM
Are the 22 gommitalias platinum tubulars also THAT good?

LORO.

yes. they're made by veloflex but the tread is a bit nicer.

obtuse

Loro_tomas
10-03-2006, 08:59 PM
yes. they're made by veloflex but the tread is a bit nicer.

obtuse

Good to know. Thanks

Loro

KJMUNC
10-03-2006, 09:42 PM
Any good on-line sources for the Route du Nord? All I seem to find is the Platinum.

obtuse
10-03-2006, 09:53 PM
Any good on-line sources for the Route du Nord? All I seem to find is the Platinum.

try competitive.....last i checked gita was out but they'll have some more soon.

obtuse

KJMUNC
10-03-2006, 09:57 PM
Yep, CC only has Platinums....probbly just a end-of-season thing, but I'm in no rush so I'll wait and see what they deliver.

Thx for the advice....

Too Tall
10-04-2006, 07:34 AM
Don't overthink the width thing. The 22mm tubulars have generous volume and planty of rubber compared to your 23mm clinchers. If you are easy on tires and tend not to get flats than agree Gommitalia are really nice and even more so the Veloflex..woo woo! For everyday training and spring racing conti. sprinters are great stuff. Don't dynamite your tyres! Mess around with psi until you get the magic carpet ride. I am tall skinny dewd and ride conti sprinters at about 110/105.

Hey! Glad you are making the move to REAL tyres pal ;)

terrytnt
10-04-2006, 08:42 AM
Here's my 2 cents. I recently switched from years of Vittoria CX tubies to Veloflex Criteriums. I've noticed a significantly BETTER ride with the Veloflex and love the traditional Criterium look. The ride is velvety smooth and they mount incredible true! Like TooTall noted, I'm still experimenting with the psi to find the best inflation for my size... I'm 5' 11 at about 165 in training season. Started with a 8 bar inflation, now playing with less.

Can't say enough about these terrific tubies. (although, heard a rumor that Veloflex may consider moving their production to Taiwan... LET'S HOPE NOT)

It's really interesting to hear all the hype about clinchers... these guys love to tell you tubies are history. If they only knew...

Too Tall
10-04-2006, 08:50 AM
Terry, I misss your avitar. The buzz locally is building for tubulars. Last week at a mid point break we were in a group of about 20 riders...I was prolly the only person who races and when I asked for a show of hands "who's riding tubulars today?" there were 4 in the group :) One wiseacre said "hey you are on clinchers pal" so I had to show hime that the spare in my back pocket with the old faded Binda strap was infact THE REAL DEAL :)

There seems to be new interest. Maybe because all the production bikes are looking the same? Ouch.

djg
10-04-2006, 08:50 AM
I've never ridden that gommitalia, but I'll betcha obtuse is right about it (even if the young punk robbed us of the article in "du"--surely it's there even on the Italian tire, non?--it's hard not to notice that his most extreme and colorful equipment opinions turn out to be right).

So here's for veloflex: these are excellent tires, period, even if there's something else somewhere you might want to search out in the quest--plus, you can get them now; and if you do a search here you'll figure out where to get them at a reasonable price. At your size, and for your purposes, I'd go with the 22s for sure over the 20s. I have experience with the criterium tires (excellent) and folks seem to like the carbons too. The 22 in a veloflex tubby, properly inflated, will provide a good smooth, supple ride--I prefer it to any 23 clincher that I've tried, bar none. For a smoother ride on rougher pavement, the roubaix is worth considering--also a very good tire (in a 24).

terrytnt
10-04-2006, 01:29 PM
If you're interested purchasing Veloflex tires (or any tires for that matter), you might consider World Class Cycles: http://www.veloflextires.com/index.html

I found these folks great to work with, very quick delivery at reasonable price ~$75 each.

In fact, soon I'll be purchasing a second set to have stretched, and in a safe cool, dark place for when I need them.

Enjoy the ride!!!

KJMUNC
10-04-2006, 10:40 PM
Thanks guys! I'm in no rush as I still need a front hub (28h DA anyone?) to complete the set before I build up the wheels.

I've got WC Cycles on my favorites if I decide to go with Veloflex and will keep an eye out for the Gommitalias.

How long would you suggest stretching the tires? 2-3 weeks?

sspielman
10-05-2006, 06:33 AM
Thanks guys! I'm in no rush as I still need a front hub (28h DA anyone?) to complete the set before I build up the wheels.

I've got WC Cycles on my favorites if I decide to go with Veloflex and will keep an eye out for the Gommitalias.

How long would you suggest stretching the tires? 2-3 weeks?

If you do the right thing and get get Veloflex (or their badge-engineered Gommitalia), you should be able to get the tires on the rim pretty easily with no pre-stretching at all. For insurance, you may want to leave them on a rim, inflated, overnight.

Veloflex is the king of tires.

terrytnt
10-05-2006, 08:41 AM
I agree, as habit I generally inflate all my new tires on rims for a night or two. I had absolutely NO problem mounting the Veloflex Criteriums. And they were perfectly true.

Let's pray Veloflex STAYS Italian made and doesn't get shipped off to Taiwan like Vittoria.

Veloflex IS king!