PDA

View Full Version : Dont you guys hate when you cant find....

ultraman6970
02-08-2018, 11:54 AM
something that should be around???

I could swear I had a campagnolo record C BB moving around... probably i sold it and I dont even remember??? this sucks!

Good the swap meet is in a couple of days, gonna have to trade a few things for one...

120 length right?

oldpotatoe
02-08-2018, 11:58 AM

I could swear I had a campagnolo record C BB moving around... probably i sold it and I dont even remember??? this sucks!

Good the swap meet is in a couple of days, gonna have to trade a few things for one...

120 length right?

C Record is 111mm...1984 thru 1994, square taper then to 102mm....I have one in ‘far superior Italian threading’ for sale.

summilux
02-08-2018, 02:08 PM
IIRC current Pista and last version of Record triple BB are the right length.

Funny-ish Italian threading story: I was volunteering at a bike co-op and another volunteer is having trouble getting a BB out of a bike. He's doing it right, the BB tool is a vice and he's trying to turn the frame. But the BB is rusted in there good and nothing is moving. So the guy says "Maybe it's Italian threaded?". At this point all the other wrenches turn and look at me because I'm the "Campy, Italian threaded, English brake setup" guy. So I stroll over trying to be cool and look at the frame. It's the type of bike you expect to find in a bike co-op so I tell them: "No way someone Italian threaded this." We ended up squirting some liquid wrench in and banging it with a hammer for a bit before it came off.

Spaghetti Legs
02-08-2018, 03:21 PM
Couple of days ago I was looking all over for an Ultegra shifter, worried that I accidentally put it in a box of other parts I shipped off, before I remembered that I sold it a month ago.

NYCfixie
02-08-2018, 03:38 PM
I am still missing a pair of sheldon fender nuts (https://problemsolversbike.com/products/accessory-mounts/sheldon_fender_nuts_-_10108). They only cost a fewdollars but it is the point of the matter. What safe place did I stash them in that I cannot now find them?

oliver1850
02-09-2018, 02:53 AM
I can't remember all the stuff that I can't find. I can't find the all stuff I remember. Or something. Anyway, I loose track of the location of bits that I'm sure are here - on a regular basis. If I spend more than an hour or so looking without results, I usually just go shopping for another.

yashcha
02-09-2018, 05:26 AM
When this happens I just assume somebody has been in my house and has stolen it. But why my rear DT RWS skewers????

Bruce K
02-09-2018, 08:31 AM
Right now, it is the spare set of car keys!

Don’t exactly need them at the moment but aggravating that they are not where they are supposed to be.

BK

redir
02-09-2018, 09:31 AM
This is a daily occurrence for me. I do stupid things like walk out of my workshop with a tool in my hand to go get a cup of coffee in the kitchen and then spend an hour looking for the tool I KNEW I JUST HAD IN MY HAND, only to realize it's in the refrigerator or something.

Whats worse is when you drop something.... You know what I'm saying.

David Tollefson
02-09-2018, 09:34 AM
In the last several years I've gone through a couple purge cycles, and a move. Even before the move I'd spend HOURS looking for something that could only ultimately determine I'd thrown out during one of those purges. Now, I'm not sure if I just can't find it because it hasn't been unpacked, or if I just threw it out...

Tickdoc
02-09-2018, 09:43 AM
Both armwarmers/legwarmers ot both gloves.

taz-t
02-09-2018, 09:43 AM
When this happens I just assume somebody has been in my house and has stolen it. But why my rear DT RWS skewers????

This actually happened to me. None of my bike stuff was intentionally stolen, but the thieves used one of my cycling bags to haul away the tv, wine, jewelry (and other miscellaneous pawnable junk). They dumped the bag but some stuff remained so I go nuts looking for random riding items (gloves, booties, sunglass lenses) until I remember that they were likely stolen with the bag.

tv_vt
02-09-2018, 09:45 AM
Thought this forum was open to everyone... :rolleyes:

unterhausen
02-09-2018, 10:29 AM
I have so much trouble finding leg warmers it's not funny.

In the last several years I've gone through a couple purge cycles, and a move. Even before the move I'd spend HOURS looking for something that could only ultimately determine I'd thrown out during one of those purges. Now, I'm not sure if I just can't find it because it hasn't been unpacked, or if I just threw it out...I was in a mood to just throw everything away from my electronics bin. I'm pretty sure i threw away a vintage computer motherboard. Last time one of those motherboards sold on ebay, it went for more than $500. I have wasted a few hours looking for that thing.

I sold a lot of vintage bicycle parts a while back. I had a crank and bottom bracket ready to go, and then, inexplicably, the drive side cup disappeared. Still haven't found it, I sold the crank arms by themselves.

ripvanrando
02-09-2018, 10:46 AM
I can't find the barrel adjuster on a gen 1 c record rd that drives me crazy

I mostly lose winter gloves or actually misplace them after coming in freezing. I jettison them to who knows where.

djg21
02-09-2018, 11:05 AM

120 length right?

I found a flat head Allen screw on the ground in my basement the other day. I couldn’t figure out what it was, but just in case, I put the screw away. Last night I got on my trainer, and my Speedplay Zero pedal started making awful noise and not securing my shoe. Turns out the screw that holds one of the bowties backed out. I knew immediately what the screw I had found was. However, I forgot where to hell I put the thing for safe keeping. A senior moment?

I’m sure it will turn up eventually. Luckily, I have multiple pairs of zeros on my various bikes so I have pedals to use. And the set that fell apart desperately needed to be rebuilt anyway. But, I’m switching to Garmin Vector 3 pedals in the next couple weeks, as soon as they are back in stock, and don’t want to spend the money on a Speedplay rebuild kit if the pedals are not going to be used.

kevinvc
02-09-2018, 11:14 AM
This is a timely thread. I've been trying to pull together a lot of my riding and bike camping gear in preparation for a trip I'm taking in a couple of weeks. I'm generally a very organized person and have little bins for each type of item. The problem is that I put everything away last fall right after getting a concussion and now I can't find anything!

Various items have shown up in weird places, such as finding my floor pump outside by the rain barrel, or my camping stove in the attic with my kayaking paddles. A lot of stuff is still missing and I'm getting incredibly frustrated. How the hell can I be missing my frame pump or Garmin computer?? They should never have even been taken off the bike, much less put in some obscure place. I've already given up and bought replacements for a couple of cheaper things, but I don't want to do that for any of the expensive items.

The brain is a weird thing and does crazy stuff when it's been rattled.

doomridesout
02-09-2018, 05:20 PM
I've slowly whittled down my hoard of bike stuff until it's only plain vanilla stuff that's currently produced (riding pretty much just modern Shimano). That means I don't have any extra crap to lose. Simplifying the parts hoard has reduced the mental footprint of my stuff in a great way.

donevwil
02-09-2018, 06:25 PM
Stays for a set of fenders I bought a year ago. Bought replacements and found the originals the day the replacements arrived.

ultraman6970
02-09-2018, 07:56 PM
That happened to me aswell :D

And the f.. BB still no show! :/ NO idea where it could be, have to check my postings, probably i sold it :/

nickl
02-09-2018, 10:23 PM
I understand the sentiments expressed on this thread. Been accumulating bikes and parts since the mid 1980's. Perhaps it is time to reassess and downsize.

velobaba
02-09-2018, 10:24 PM
That stupid Chris King's NoThreadset 1-1/8" Bearing Cap O-ring. I know I saw it on the floor and not knowing what it was I am pretty sure I kept it somewhere.
Few days later I tried installing the headset bearing cap and realized that it is
missing an o-ring. And now I can't find it. Argh!

timsmcm
02-09-2018, 10:55 PM
Wow. Do I feel better.

froze
02-09-2018, 11:02 PM
I've moved so many times I've gotten use to losing stuff! The latest thing I lost cycling related in a move was a non working SKS Puro Deep Black pump, it was piece of crap functionally but it was a nice looking pump so I was using it as a paperweight/conversation piece. No big deal, it didn't work anyways, but it's just weird how things seem to disappear into some sort of black hole.

PacNW2Ford
02-10-2018, 12:44 AM
Bought some new shoes, knew I had to have some new SPD cleats around. Especially since I had bought some Dura-Ace 9000 pedals and never used the cleats. Finally found the box and... brand-new BLUE cleats. Still, should have had some yellow ones "floating" around. Hard target search of the parts bin and everywhere else. Gave up, bought new ones. A few weeks later found a brand-new set of yellows at the top of the parts bin...

oldpotatoe
02-10-2018, 06:24 AM
IIRC current Pista and last version of Record triple BB are the right length.

Funny-ish Italian threading story: I was volunteering at a bike co-op and another volunteer is having trouble getting a BB out of a bike. He's doing it right, the BB tool is a vice and he's trying to turn the frame. But the BB is rusted in there good and nothing is moving. So the guy says "Maybe it's Italian threaded?". At this point all the other wrenches turn and look at me because I'm the "Campy, Italian threaded, English brake setup" guy. So I stroll over trying to be cool and look at the frame. It's the type of bike you expect to find in a bike co-op so I tell them: "No way someone Italian threaded this." We ended up squirting some liquid wrench in and banging it with a hammer for a bit before it came off.

Current pista for sure(also Centaur), Record/Chorus triple IS 111mm but not symmetric like CRecord/Pista..teeny point .....The LH crank arm 'may' be a little close with that triple BB.

oldpotatoe
02-10-2018, 06:25 AM
That happened to me aswell :D

And the f.. BB still no show! :/ NO idea where it could be, have to check my postings, probably i sold it :/

Like I said I have one..:)FS, Italiano threading..