PDA

View Full Version : OT: Has anyone had bunion surgery?

gforce
02-08-2018, 07:16 AM
I have a bunion that is being irritated by one of my cycling shoes. It is also starting to bug me in regular shoes (though not
nearly as much).
I am considering surgery and was wondering if anyone else has
undergone this and what was their outcome. I am particularly interested how their sensitivity was post surgery.

fignon's barber
02-08-2018, 08:00 AM
I've sold metal implants for bunion surgery so I've done cases with orthopods and podiatrists. The surgery can be pretty tough, so I would strongly advise watching a few on youtube. I don't know your situation obviously, but the key thing to consider is the position of your big toe. If it is still reasonably straight, you may get by with proper width shoes. But remember, never take medical advice on a bike forum.

gforce
02-08-2018, 08:40 AM
Toe is straight just the bunion on top of my big toe joint that is bothersome. Street shoes don't bother me much as I have correct width shoes. The tightness factor of cycling shoes and pulling up motion of pedaling is another story.
Thanks for insights and for anybody else's opinion.

Seramount
02-08-2018, 08:44 AM
had a cheilectomy on my big toe several years ago...was told by the sawbones that the procedure was a fairly minor deal.

uh, not really my experience...

was on crutches for two weeks and didn't get back to normal activities for a 6 weeks after being able to put weight on it.

the toe was very sensitive and sore for at least a year after surgery.

Spaghetti Legs
02-08-2018, 08:55 AM
A general rule for elective surgeries: Undergo only if all other reasonable approaches have failed and something needs to be done. When surgery works well it is a wonderful thing, when it goes bad, it can do so in horrible ways.

speedevil
02-08-2018, 09:13 AM
I had that surgery about 3 years ago. I had injured my right big toe hiking and stupidly kept right on hiking. Yep, as you would expect, the bone behind the big toe grew a good-sized bump on it. Was causing problems with shoe fit and pain after a long day walking. never really affected cycling, just shoe fit.

Surgery was fine, I was unconscious. :)

Had to wear one of those inflexible flat sandals for a month, so I would not recommend that you have this surgery in the winter if you can avoid that. I work from home so didn't have to worry about commuting to an office.

Now, the only reminder is the scar on top of the big toe joint. No issues since.

Everyone is different, so do what the doc tells you and your recovery should be fine.

I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night, so there's that.

summilux
02-08-2018, 09:20 AM
I've got a bunion and I asked about the surgery. I was told that the recovery could be rough and to try wider shoes as a first option. I bought the wider SIDI shoes and got my leather non-cycling shoes stretched by a cobbler. You might be able to get your current cycling shoes stretched too. It's working for now.

Ralph
02-08-2018, 10:08 AM
I developed a good size bunion about 20 years ago....all the usual things you do to live with it weren't helping, So had the surgery. Usual recovery time as noted above.

Then this past July.....after meeting with a Sports Doc/Foot and Ankle surgeon decided to try to fix was still causing the problem. Had my big toe straightened, and put a bolt (like a square taper crank arm bolt...for want of better words) thru my ankle slot....where leg structure meets foot structure....there is an open space there.....this to raise up my arch and stop my severe over pronating. This surgery was a little harder to recover from....all the tendons in top of foot had to relearn their job. Went to PT for a couple months.

However....results so far are positive. My cycling has changed....my right leg, which did not measure shorter but pedaled shorter, does not have that wobble at the bottom of the stroke anymore....when the arch colapsed.....and I no longer get the wear spot on my butt check after a long ride.....a problem no saddle change or saddle adjustment change ever fixed. And even a Pro fit guy didn't figure out problem. My Doc says the bolt realigned my leg from hip to foot.

So IMHO.....if the surgery is inevitable....pick a good time and have it done. However.....you might want to also figure out what is causing your issue so your surgery will remain successful. Don't remember any lasting nerve damage on bunion....toe yes maybe.

wallymann
02-08-2018, 11:38 AM
what is the diagnosis called? what is the procedure called?

edit: is it Extra-osseous Talotarsal Stabilization (EOTTS)???

Then this past July.....after meeting with a Sports Doc/Foot and Ankle surgeon decided to try to fix was still causing the problem. Had my big toe straightened, and put a bolt (like a square taper crank arm bolt...for want of better words) thru my ankle slot....where leg structure meets foot structure....there is an open space there.....this to raise up my arch and stop my severe over pronating. This surgery was a little harder to recover from....all the tendons in top of foot had to relearn their job. Went to PT for a couple months.

However....results so far are positive. My cycling has changed....my right leg, which did not measure shorter but pedaled shorter, does not have that wobble at the bottom of the stroke anymore....when the arch colapsed.....and I no longer get the wear spot on my butt check after a long ride.....a problem no saddle change or saddle adjustment change ever fixed. And even a Pro fit guy didn't figure out problem. My Doc says the bolt realigned my leg from hip to foot.

djg21
02-08-2018, 11:52 AM
Maybe you should do something about your shoes before letting someone go near you with a scalpel. Maybe custom shoes would help? A shoe with a proper width certainly would help, as you seem to acknowledge. Maybe you should contact Don at D2Shoe and discuss options for properly fitting shoes that will accommodate your bunion, or at least not further aggravate it?

gforce
02-08-2018, 01:45 PM
Thanks for all the replies and your experiences. Surgery is definitely a last resort but wanted to gauge best to worst case scenario.
I know surgical outcomes vary with different patients. Doctors are also often optimistic when describing outcomes.
I will try stretching my cycling shoes and replacing my mtb shoes - anyone have a sidi dragon in a size 42?
Thanks again gents.

djg21
02-08-2018, 01:51 PM
Thanks for all the replies and your experiences. Surgery is definitely a last resort but wanted to gauge best to worst case scenario.
I know surgical outcomes vary with different patients. Doctors are also often optimistic when describing outcomes.
I will try stretching my cycling shoes and replacing my mtb shoes - anyone have a sidi dragon in a size 42?
Thanks again gents.

If you want to stay with SIDI, you should be looking at the Megas. You seem to be insistent on using shoes that are not particularly wide despite the fact that you need wider shoes.

ptourkin
02-08-2018, 01:59 PM
had a cheilectomy on my big toe several years ago...was told by the sawbones that the procedure was a fairly minor deal.

uh, not really my experience...

was on crutches for two weeks and didn't get back to normal activities for a 6 weeks after being able to put weight on it.

the toe was very sensitive and sore for at least a year after surgery.

I have a big one and have not had it operated on. Everyone I know who has, including two family members, has regretted it.

Shimano road shoes are built off the old Pearl Izumi running shoe last and have more room up front than Euro shoes like Sidi.

Gphin
02-08-2018, 02:16 PM
Another bunion sufferer here, has anyone tried the splint called goodnight bunion? Strap it on at night to help straighten out the big toe? Looks a little gimmicky? Also could use some recommendations for wide mtn. and road shoes. My sidi's are killing me...

adub
02-08-2018, 02:53 PM
After seeing my Mother and Sister suffer through Bunion surgery I would pay $1000's for custom shoes before going through that misery.

https://images.complex.com/complex/image/upload/c_limit,w_680/fl_lossy,pg_1,q_auto/ds63o2vc6qewlrpglndz.jpg

wallymann
02-08-2018, 03:03 PM
arent there more modern, minimally-invasive bunion surgery procedures available now?

Ralph
02-08-2018, 03:39 PM
what is the diagnosis called? what is the procedure called?

edit: is it Extra-osseous Talotarsal Stabilization (EOTTS)???

It's called Sinus Tarsi Implant. EOTTS is the procedure. The bolt (or stent) looks just like a bolt. Am sure it's probably Ti and nylon or something. Anyway it worked. Surgery was simple, small incision, 3 stiches, etc. It was the tendon relearning that took a few months.
http://www.hyprocure.com/wp-content/custom/Patient-EOTTS-Pre-Surgery-Pack/physicians-guide-rttjd/assets/common/downloads/publication.pdf One groups describtion of surgery.

My goal was to fix the condition that "mostly" caused the bunion on me, and toes to curve outward and rub together. I'm about 75% fixed. For the implant, I was walking in about 10 days. Got back on stationary bike in a couple weeks. Did wait about 8 weeks to get back on road....didn't want to take chance of falling. After 3 months....back to normal.

donevwil
02-08-2018, 03:53 PM
A cycling co-worker went through it two years ago. He doesn't regret it in the least, but he was out of work for a month, on crutches for a few more and couldn't ride for about nine. That seemed extreme to my wife and I and has scared her away from similar surgery (same health provider).

I say explore all the options before committing to the most invasive option.

Ken Robb
02-08-2018, 04:08 PM
You might try getting some good flat pedals and riding in rubber-soled shoes that you know are comfy when you are walking around. Since you won't be locked into one position you may naturally slip into a different position on the pedals different from what you have been doing. You may find you don't miss being clipped in or you may find a new improved position that you can replicate by moving your cleats. It's a cheap experiment because you probably already own the shoes and flat pedals don't have to cost much.

zuzu27
02-08-2018, 05:18 PM
I developed a bunion when I was 14 yo from a football injury I didn’t let heal. It was very painfull all through high school. The pain stopped in my college years playing lacrosse so o forget about it. It just looked ugly as hell.

I started noticing that I was slowly increasing the size of my regular shoes and cycling shoes over the past 17 years. I didn’t think much of it until my bunion started becoming painful again about 2 years ago. I also. Rocked that the “bump” of my bunion seemed to be getting bigger. I switched to Bont Road shoes for their ability to mold. They didn’t work. My foot would go numb after 1.5 hours of riding and the bunion would hurt like hell. I switched my MTB shoes to Giro and they were not better. It was hurting in regular shoes and I finally looked into surgery a year ago. A big problem with most bunion sis that it’s not just the big toe that ends pushing inwards, but also the large metatarsal of the big toe joint ends up splaying outward, which puts extra stress on the joint as well as widening the foot.
So mine is pretty bad. I walked to several people who were older and less active than me and they were very pleased with their surgery. There are many different methods that are currently used so you can’t compare to someone who has the surgery in the ‘80s or ‘90s.
I have several contacts I the medical community in Baltimore and got 2 opinions. Making sure to not tell one doctor the results of the others recommendations.
The recovery is rough. There’s no way of getting around it because you’re dealing with bone, not just soft tissue. I can’t drive until Week 8 (mine is my right foot). First 4 weeks were in a wedge shoe that forces you to walk on your heel. I just got into a new flat, hard shoe last week at Week 4. I won’t be allowed to pedal until 3 months because of the heavy forces when you stand up o the pedals. I should be in regular soft shoes at 8 weeks.

I scheduled mine for January 3rd, so that my work wasn’t as effected (I’m a photographer. I can’t lie. The recovery has been rough, but I’m through the worst of it now. I’m just keeping my eye on the prize and hoping for the best. Like all surgeries, there is about a 10% chance of complications, but that’s why you get second opinions and find someone who has performed a **** load of these surgeries.

I hope that helps.