PDA

View Full Version : What's Next for Cycling?

fignon's barber
02-08-2018, 07:05 AM
After racing bikes since 1988, I've decided to not renew my USA Cycling license at the age of 56. Over the last five years or so, I've done progressively fewer races. Nothing to do with declining speed, as I am still in the mix at the front end of the tue/wed/thurs/ sat A ride Worlds. It just isn't fun and at the end of the day, you really give up a lot for what? Looking at Masters racing from a step back, as you progress through the age categories, it doesn't get slower, the riders just become more self obsessed. The aura just became too mean spirited for me.
So what's next? Sell the race bike, buy an ornate lugged frame, and start a club for guys who used to race but now just want to ride a nice speedy friendly paceline that finishes at the pub?

merckx
02-08-2018, 07:35 AM
Sportifs, Randonnees, climb Mt. Washington, register for D2R2. You can knock your self out with really challenging events that don't require pinning a number on, excepting an event like Mt. Washington. There is life beyond USCF of whatever it is now called.

PS: I began USCF racing in 1976. I am also 56 years. I am having a blast on the bicycle.

AngryScientist
02-08-2018, 07:47 AM
i'm firmly in the camp that if you're not getting paid to ride, then cycling should be a means to stay in good physical shape and have fun.

if what you're currently doing isnt fun - then dump it. what's the point if you're not enjoying yourself.

don't be afraid to take some time off, step away from the bike. go hiking, swimming, rowing, stand up paddleboarding - something else.

career cyclists, like yourself have a bad habit of tying their sense of self worth to cycling fitness. if you take a few months off and can't hang with the "A" group anymore - does it really matter? sometimes it's a good idea to decouple cycling ambition from the pursuit of happiness IMO.

Ti Designs
02-08-2018, 07:55 AM
Have some fun on the bike...

I've done some riding in SouthWest Florida, I love the group rides there and I love the speed, but I wouldn't say it's beautiful riding. You could sign up for one of the big events, but they all seem so formal to me. If you ever find yourself planning a trip north, we can take you on some damn nice roads that don't see much traffic, and it won't cost you hundreds of dollars to ride your bike. I'm sure other people around the country can make similar offers.

bigbill
02-08-2018, 07:56 AM
I'm loving the gravel grinder events and rides. I'm in NE Texas and we have the Spinistry events which usually have 100K and 100 mile options with some shorter "fun ride" distances. They put up a folding table with water jugs at the halfway point and riders are expected to be self sufficient. You race with a timing chip in your number, mostly so they know everyone is off the course at the end of the race/ride. I started doing them on my Gunnar Crosshairs with mini-V's and 35mm Conti's with a 12-26 cassette and 38/44 rings. I enjoyed them so much that I got a Coconino Dirt Road Racer with hydraulic disc, Ultegra 11 speed mechanical, and tubeless wheels with 37mm Riddlers. I'm not any faster on the new bike, but I enjoy the ride more.

Gummee
02-08-2018, 08:31 AM
Do something different: CX, gravel, mtn biking, track

Different crowd. Different vibe.

M

soulspinner
02-08-2018, 08:32 AM
After racing bikes since 1988, I've decided to not renew my USA Cycling license at the age of 56. Over the last five years or so, I've done progressively fewer races. Nothing to do with declining speed, as I am still in the mix at the front end of the tue/wed/thurs/ sat A ride Worlds. It just isn't fun and at the end of the day, you really give up a lot for what? Looking at Masters racing from a step back, as you progress through the age categories, it doesn't get slower, the riders just become more self obsessed. The aura just became too mean spirited for me.
So what's next? Sell the race bike, buy an ornate lugged frame, and start a club for guys who used to race but now just want to ride a nice speedy friendly paceline that finishes at the pub?

Like that last sentence. At 61 I stopped racing a long time ago. First rounds on me.

zlin
02-08-2018, 08:51 AM
Ride to the pub on your race bike, see who follows, that's your new crew.

and if you fish and figure out how to easily store a fly rod and minimal gear on the bike, let me know!

lhuerta
02-08-2018, 08:59 AM
i'm firmly in the camp that if you're not getting paid to ride, then cycling should be a means to stay in good physical shape and have fun.

if what you're currently doing isnt fun - then dump it. what's the point if you're not enjoying yourself.

don't be afraid to take some time off, step away from the bike. go hiking, swimming, rowing, stand up paddleboarding - something else.

career cyclists, like yourself have a bad habit of tying their sense of self worth to cycling fitness. if you take a few months off and can't hang with the "A" group anymore - does it really matter? sometimes it's a good idea to decouple cycling ambition from the pursuit of happiness IMO.

^^^ THIS^^^ Congrats on ur retirement, now have fun!

redir
02-08-2018, 08:59 AM
I'm about 10 years younger then that but almost in the same boat. It's been a good run, clawed my way to cat 2 but that's about it. I did just buy my license though. This time of year I always say, 'One more year' and then never get back into it anyway. What I do now is hit my local Wednesday race rides and attend any of the local races, which out here in the sticks is far and few between. I at least don't get dropped so as long as I can maintain that with limited training it's still fun.

There is nothing like racing in an organized racing event, you jsut cannot get that on a weekend ride.

What you might consider if possible is becoming a full time commuter. I ride my bike 20 miles each day to work, unless it's raining or freezing cold. It's a good way to maintain a descent level of fitness and still be able to ride a bike. It gives the bike a whole new purpose, a function and not a tool for training.

fiamme red
02-08-2018, 09:02 AM
I've made a lot of friends through the randonneuring community. It's a diverse and interesting group. Try out a local 200 km brevet and see if you like it.

https://rusa.org/

biker72
02-08-2018, 09:15 AM
I'm almost 80 and I ride to have fun. How long does it take?? Average speed??
How many miles?? None of this is really important as long as I have fun doing it.

I travel to various cities and ride. Minneapolis, Madison, Milwaukee, Denver are all great cities to ride a bike in. I hope to find a few more.

Birddog
02-08-2018, 09:23 AM
Looking at Masters racing from a step back, as you progress through the age categories, it doesn't get slower, the riders just become more self obsessed. The aura just became too mean spirited for me.

You nailed it. I never really trained to race but enjoyed the occasional (3 or 4 a season) race. When I was about 60 I noticed that the field was becoming even more OCD as early retirees were spending every waking moment training. I didn't like what I imagined the future would be so I withdrew, it just wasn't any fun.

As others have said, just step back and spend more time smelling the roses. Dirt road riding, exploring new roads, checking out roadside attractions, it's all good. I still ride "race bikes" but the setup isn't exactly racy anymore. Age and wear and tear from non bike activities have taken a toll on my flexability, but riding is still fun, esp. with my pals. We are old and getting slow on the bike, but not with our wits.

Tony
02-08-2018, 09:26 AM

Why not?
Or, try something different like mtbing, its beautiful out there and the people you meet seem more laid back than those described above.

Chris
02-08-2018, 11:32 AM
I'm 47 and have been racing since 86 with some on again off again years. Never a ton of racing (10-20 a year), but lots of riding. I had a bad crash last year that had me off the bike for 3 months. I just haven't gotten the bug to get back on again. It isn't fear, but maybe some perspective gained about not worrying about how many hours I am getting in on the bike each week and doing all of that riding just to go in circles for an hour or two on the weekends. I miss the camaraderie with my buddies, but I am trying to maintain those relationships. My daughter is a senior in high school and I just told myself, I didn't want to miss this last year that she is here by my being off to some races or out on super long training rides. I am going to ride some more gravel rides I think and hopefully ride enough to be able to go out and ride with the pals. Before I started riding when I was a teenager, I was really active in Taekwondo. I never finished my black belt, so 30 years later, I have started over and now that keeps me busy a few days a week. It's been good to step out of the bike all the time mentality and see the world from some other angles.

oldpotatoe
02-08-2018, 12:04 PM

Your last sentence said it all except you don’t need to sell your ‘race’ bike.

HenryA
02-08-2018, 04:36 PM
Your last sentence said it all except you don’t need to sell your ‘race’ bike.

^^^ this ^^^

dddd
02-08-2018, 04:52 PM
Doing different activities or just riding with a different club or group, or challenging roads or trails by yourself, all of these give you more options to consider, to choose what you really prefer.
Especially as we age, we may struggle to have the time and energy for so many other important things when the long racing season beckons.
I've long (since 1999) used the CX season as a bail-out for years when the racing got a late start, and like an earlier poster to this thread ( merckx ), I did my first road race in 1976. I've also taken consecutive years off from serious cycling to pursue motorcycle racing as recently as 1991, but started right back into it (on the then-popular XC circuit) after moving back to California at that time.

glepore
02-08-2018, 05:35 PM
I've been doing what you suggest in your last sentence for a while. Using raceworthy bikes too. The masters scene is a little intense, and at 58 I'm not mixing it with the Cat guys anytime soon.

Fast group rides with nice folks, coffeestop and and sometimes beers after. Shy away from the big organized rides as its either a thinly disguised race or chaos.

Tandem Rider
02-08-2018, 06:41 PM
I started racing in 1975, I'm 57, tried to make a go of it in the '80s, close but no cigar. Kept my spoon in the soup until about 4 years ago, 35-50 races per year, I could stick in most P12 races. Then I got hit with some life changes, and since then, I haven't even done more than a handful of group rides. I still do road, tandem, gravels, and MTB, but no structure. I'm fat and slow now, but it's ok. If you make it out to Bend, I know some cool roads with great views plus I can find good coffee and beer.

jumphigher
02-08-2018, 06:58 PM
I'm a solo rider, and ride to stay fit, and eat carefully, too. I'm 54 now and still at my high school weight, and have no plans to get fat and let myself go as I get older. I'm a big believer in staying in shape throughout life - or else what's the point.

I'd drop the races OP, if you've truly lost all interest. But I wouldnt switch to group rides with beers and heavy meals at the end. That negates the entire point of riding imo. Try riding solo for a while. Yes you wont stay as fit as you're forced into being to race successfully, but that doesnt you cant still be very good condition. Or be something more than average.

Kontact
02-08-2018, 07:15 PM
A lot of this is why I stopped putting computers on my bicycles years ago. I don't feel the need to compete with other people or myself.

Mzilliox
02-08-2018, 07:49 PM
ride gravel. the serious folks wont do it, they have all kinds of excuses why. I have a cool route orm my house to a lake over some hills that the "dirt bikers" do. i do it on a fat tire road bike. is it the best tool, no, a helicopter would be a better choice, but its a lot of fun and its hard work. and nobody is yelling at me to stop stretching my shoulder in the paceline even though my shoulder effin hurts.

im not sure why people are so serious when they play... we encountered this on the river today, people who wont say hello, or people who ignore your existence as mutual to theirs and just fish into your water. people are just weird. so am i.

we used to play more, and with less competition. some societies still do, i think we call them uncivilized

fiamme red
02-08-2018, 08:53 PM
im not sure why people are so serious when they play... we encountered this on the river today, people who wont say hello, or people who ignore your existence as mutual to theirs and just fish into your water. people are just weird. so am i.

we used to play more, and with less competition. some societies still do, i think we call them uncivilizedhttps://i2.wp.com/www.mbird.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/ch150512.gif?resize=600%2C191

unterhausen
02-08-2018, 11:42 PM
a while back, I was sick all spring and I came to realize that riding slowly was still fun. Trying to get my speed back now though.

dddd
02-09-2018, 12:06 AM
A lot of this is why I stopped putting computers on my bicycles years ago. I don't feel the need to compete with other people or myself.

There's something to be said for riding out of town, sans even a wrist watch, to a scheduled club ride. Having a lot of bikes used to mean installing some computer on each one, and a saddle bag with necessities possibly specific to each bike that today all goes in my pockets.
But these days I have the little old Garmin for when I want to keep track of anything (like my 2x-weekly 5mi RUN), and I have an old lightweight Avocet computer with cut-off wire and handlebar clamp to use only as a clock when I go racing.
And as when I used to get home from my 9-7 engineering jobs, and head out for an hour of off-roading, the only measure of anything that I needed was whether I could complete all the technical sections and climbs (that varied seasonally) without having to unclip a shoe from a pedal (the better to keep my shoes clean).

Gummee
02-09-2018, 11:34 AM
ride gravel. the serious folks wont do it, they have all kinds of excuses why. I have a cool route orm my house to a lake over some hills that the "dirt bikers" do. i do it on a fat tire road bike. is it the best tool, no, a helicopter would be a better choice, but its a lot of fun and its hard work. and nobody is yelling at me to stop stretching my shoulder in the paceline even though my shoulder effin hurts.

we used to play more, and with less competition. some societies still do, i think we call them uncivilizedI ride with a bunch of people to whom the thought of gravel riding is about the same as putting an ice pick in their eyes.

And I ride with some gravel and road riders that think riding a mtn bike is the same kind of thing.

Mtn biking is a great 'walk in the woods with your buddies' that happens to be on bicycles. No traffic. No same old loops. Great times.

I actually really enjoy pretty much anything with 2 wheels. ...to include motos.

M

CaptStash
02-09-2018, 04:48 PM

Maybe try a new sport? I was in a very similar place as you when I "retired" from rowing after competing for nearly thirty years. I was just sort of done with it all. I switched to cycling and enjoyed learning a new sport (although I have rarely pinned a number on, and even then not very successfully). There are lots of fun endurance sports that might present a fun challenge. Certainly rowing fits the bill with lots of opportunities for masters.

After nine years away from it, I am slowly getting myself into shape to go back to competitive rowing. Some distance made it attractive to me. Plus it'll be fun to go smack some of the kids around again. Perhaps that will happen with you as well?

Good luck with whatever the future brings, just make sure it puts a smile on your face.

CaptStash....