PDA

View Full Version : Protein consumption, strength and muscle mass gain

paredown
02-08-2018, 06:12 AM
...especially for those of us over 40. The study suggests that higher protein consumption leads to greater strength gain and more muscle mass for those who weight train:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/07/well/move/lift-weights-eat-more-protein-especially-if-youre-over-40.html?module=WatchingPortal&region=c-column-middle-span-region&pgType=Homepage&action=click&mediaId=thumb_square&state=standard&contentPlacement=1&version=internal&contentCollection=www.nytimes.com&contentId=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.nytimes.com%2F2018%2F0 2%2F07%2Fwell%2Fmove%2Flift-weights-eat-more-protein-especially-if-youre-over-40.html&eventName=Watching-article-click

fignon's barber
02-08-2018, 06:43 AM
Yes, protein is the way to go. And weightlifting also helps the body naturally increase testosterone. Friel does a great job explaining this in "Fast After 50". I highly recommend this book.

monkeytusmc
02-08-2018, 06:48 AM
As an avid gym guy, protein is definitely the way to building muscle. The best proteins are definitely lean chicken, fish and turkey. Protein powders and bars are ok too but much better to stick to more of the natural stuff. If anyone is ever looking for gym advice, feel free to hit me up. I have studied quite a bit and consider myself pretty knowledgeable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jimcav
02-08-2018, 07:45 AM
If the goal is improving strength and hopeful side effect of maintaining GH and T, or slowing their decline, what amount per day do you recommend? I ask because I was in great shape about 4 months ago, working out in the gym and riding, and had been lifting hard for about 3 years with very limited gym lifting prior to that. I was surprised I did get bigger, definitely got much stronger, and felt better--wasn't specifically trying to eat doing high protein, but my diet has always been more protein than I prob needed. Then my cervical radiculopathy hit in DEC '16 and I haven't been back to the gym. My body comp has gotten worse, along with energy and sleep. I am finally recovered to the point where I am about to try lifting again. I prob won't try heavy, but instead will try lighter weight with super slow reps and see how it goes.
thanks
jim

monkeytusmc
02-08-2018, 08:05 AM
If the goal is improving strength and hopeful side effect of maintaining GH and T, or slowing their decline, what amount per day do you recommend? I ask because I was in great shape about 4 months ago, working out in the gym and riding, and had been lifting hard for about 3 years with very limited gym lifting prior to that. I was surprised I did get bigger, definitely got much stronger, and felt better--wasn't specifically trying to eat doing high protein, but my diet has always been more protein than I prob needed. Then my cervical radiculopathy hit in DEC '16 and I haven't been back to the gym. My body comp has gotten worse, along with energy and sleep. I am finally recovered to the point where I am about to try lifting again. I prob won't try heavy, but instead will try lighter weight with super slow reps and see how it goes.

thanks

jim

Jim
Here is what I recommend for a guy recovering from injury, especially one like yours. I would first recommend incorporating body weight exercises (push ups for chest, pull ups for back, squats before legs, etc) into the beginning of your work outs. Work on perfect form and control of your body. This also helps to warm up all of your muscles before going into weightlifting. While weight lifting work up slowly in weight and remember to try to capture perfect form. Arnold says the hardest thing about weightlifting is maintaining form, not how heavy you lift.

Your protein intake will partly depend on your goals. If you are trying to lean out, I would recommend 1 gram of protein per 1 pound of body weight. If you are looking to put some size back on, try 1 and 1/2 grams of protein per pound of body weight. Remember this will be a slow process at first but the last thing you want to do is rush yourself back into another injury.

Hope this helps

Mike

monkeytusmc
02-08-2018, 08:08 AM
I forgot to mention a great book for working on form and some informative ideas on how to recover from some common injuries. It’s called “strength training anatomy” by Frederick Devalver.

jimcav
02-08-2018, 10:45 AM
I forgot to mention a great book for working on form and some informative ideas on how to recover from some common injuries. It’s called “strength training anatomy” by Frederick Devalver.

a significant portion of my injuries are from my trying too quickly to get back into things. This nerve pain was no joke though, so I have definitely been cautious as it is not the same as with pulls and tears that I've pushed through in years past. thanks for the reminder and good advice. for awhile my weights will be limited to low weight with good form 8 seconds positive and 8 seconds negative movement (after warm ups as you suggest, minus pull-ups--I have messed up RTC that don't like those anymore)

sailorboy
02-08-2018, 10:48 AM
Jim

Your protein intake will partly depend on your goals. If you are trying to lean out, I would recommend 1 gram of protein per 1 pound of body weight. If you are looking to put some size back on, try 1 and 1/2 grams of protein per pound of body weight. Remember this will be a slow process at first but the last thing you want to do is rush yourself back into another injury.

Hope this helps

Mike

I'm not sure where you got this info, but normally its either metric to metric or non-metric. Recommendations are usually expressed in g protein per kg body weight. Your recommendation of 1 g per lb would put intake on the high side of what I've seen as consensus of 1 to 1.7 g/kg body weight. This ratio may also not even hold up unless you consider lean body mass. IOW a guy who is obese and weighs 250 lbs shouldn't be taking in the same protein amount as a guy who is 250lb conditioned athlete.

just a quick search yielded this article which looks pretty decent, though I've only skimmed it
https://www.strongerbyscience.com/athlete-protein-intake/

verticaldoug
02-08-2018, 11:47 AM
The study cited in the NYT article concluded that total protein intake above 1.62g/kg did not result in any additional increase in gains.

As long as you are eating a well balanced diet, the most important thing is just doing the lifting. Since by definition most of us are +- average, I do not think you need to overthink this since the marginal gains may be very small.

You are better off keeping it fun so you stick with it longer.

velofinds
02-08-2018, 11:55 AM
^^^ Sound advice right there.

sailorboy
02-08-2018, 12:04 PM
The study cited in the NYT article concluded that total protein intake above 1.62g/kg did not result in any additional increase in gains.

As long as you are eating a well balanced diet, the most important thing is just doing the lifting. Since by definition most of us are +- average, I do not think you need to overthink this since the marginal gains may be very small.

You are better off keeping it fun so you stick with it longer.

I agree with this; don't focus on the food, focus on the activity. In this case lifting weights.

tuscanyswe
02-08-2018, 12:08 PM
I agree with this; don't focus on the food, focus on the activity. In this case lifting weights.

But an average persons diet is nowhere near 130g proteins per day which would be the aim for most persons to get maximum results. Speculating that 80kgs is somewhat close to an average weight for ppl interested in diets .)

If you want to get build or maintain muscle its likely easier to do so for the average person if he increased his protein intake imo.

verticaldoug
02-08-2018, 12:20 PM
But an average persons diet is nowhere near 130g proteins per day which would be the aim for most persons to get maximum results. Speculating that 80kgs is somewhat close to an average weight for ppl interested in diets .)

If you want to get build or maintain muscle its likely easier to do so for the average person if he increased his protein intake imo.

If you have a balanced diet, couple eggs or yogurt in the morning, lean chicken at lunch, with fish in the evening and you basically get there. If you eat too much crap and starch all day, that's a problem.

Coach always said you are what you eat. You feel like **** because you eat ****.

tuscanyswe
02-08-2018, 12:29 PM
If you have a balanced diet, couple eggs or yogurt in the morning, lean chicken at lunch, with fish in the evening and you basically get there. If you eat too much crap and starch all day, that's a problem.

Coach always said you are what you eat. You feel like **** because you eat ****.

But that is not the average persons diet on a daily basis. Hence most would get gains from increase protein intake.

Im blessed that im allergic to anything thats unhealthy.. so im forced to eat great. Unfortunately i dont always feel great regardless :)
But if i eat junk i certainly feel it more these days when im not use to eating it anymore compared to 10 years ago when i ate like everyone else.

tommyrod74
02-08-2018, 12:55 PM

Don't forget to add all the protein that occurs in starchy foods as well - for example, oats have 5g protein per 1/2 cup (dry) serving, though primarily a starch-based food.

It's rather easy to get sufficient protein from whole food sources. Whey or other supplements can bridge the gap, if one exists. For most people, getting enough protein is not an issue.

1 gram per pound body weight is a very high intake, and one I wouldn't recommend. I'm a RD with a MS in Human Nutrition, and I specialize in endurance athletes.

benb
02-08-2018, 01:27 PM
It's all good but for me it's gotta be food... I have yet to find a protein powder that doesn't make me feel rotten.

Huge protein powder fad among my office co-workers this past year. Very few would count as hardcore lifters/lifelong athletes but the protein powder consumption is just bonkers. (Actually mostly women too)

We're talking 2-3 shakes a day just at the office. GNC is loving them. Most of the people I work with go out to eat every day so on the other side of the equation that's a lot of poor food.

I've always been pretty good about lifting but not necessarily good about doing it right through the summer. Riding outside is just WAY more fun, and that mental/spiritual aspect is a big part of keeping me sane. Outdoor riding does it better than anything else.

ptourkin
02-08-2018, 01:30 PM
Don't forget to add all the protein that occurs in starchy foods as well - for example, oats have 5g protein per 1/2 cup (dry) serving, though primarily a starch-based food.

It's rather easy to get sufficient protein from whole food sources. Whey or other supplements can bridge the gap, if one exists. For most people, getting enough protein is not an issue.

1 gram per pound body weight is a very high intake, and one I wouldn't recommend. I'm a RD with a MS in Human Nutrition, and I specialize in endurance athletes.

Thank you. I have a good friend who is an ultra-endurance athlete and vegan RD - people freak out about protein and ignore all the protein in "non-protein" sources. I know absolutely yoked vegan track sprinters etc.. who do not supplement at all. Eat food and do the work.

sailorboy
02-08-2018, 02:00 PM

I hope you are working with the assumption that starting or increasing a resistance training program is a given here...just taking your quote here with this context might suggest that simply increasing protein intake from a given baseline will result in gains of mass or performance.

tuscanyswe
02-08-2018, 02:31 PM
I hope you are working with the assumption that starting or increasing a resistance training program is a given here...just taking your quote here with this context might suggest that simply increasing protein intake from a given baseline will result in gains of mass or performance.

Yes ofc, comments are in relationship to the article discussing benefits from increased protein intake during exercise.