PDA

View Full Version : Santa Barbara area MTB riding?

nighthawk
02-07-2018, 10:52 PM
In the early stages of planning a trip to Santa Barbara for late March, early April. Planning on renting a MTB and riding trails in the area. I’d also consider gravel road rides. Anyone have any experience that could offer suggestions? Much appreciated!

ColnagoFan
02-08-2018, 11:58 AM
My favorite trail was Camuesa Connector, a mix of climbing and some great singletrack.
If you're feeling more saucy there is Little Pine, just keep climbing...

I haven't ridden them in YEARS, and with the fires I don't know what the state of things is...

nighthawk
02-08-2018, 12:08 PM
My favorite trail was Camuesa Connector, a mix of climbing and some great singletrack.
If you're feeling more saucy there is Little Pine, just keep climbing...

I haven't ridden them in YEARS, and with the fires I don't know what the state of things is...

Cool, thanks for the suggestions. I didn’t even consider the possibility that areas will be closed due to fires. I’m going to need to rent a bike down there... so I’ll probably check in with the shop about trail/forest conditions, too.

mhespenheide
02-08-2018, 12:49 PM
I tend to get injured when I ride mountain, so I stick to the roads. But I can ask around if you don't hear from anyone else.

GOTHBROOKS
02-08-2018, 12:54 PM
https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd568106.pdf
this updated los padres closure map should tell you what areas to avoid. most everything is still closed here on the ojai side. id assume that the sb side is the same way too.
the wind picks up and it kicks up the ash and makes everything smells like a bbq again. im so over it.

ColnagoFan
02-08-2018, 12:54 PM
Cool, thanks for the suggestions. I didn’t even consider the possibility that areas will be closed due to fires. I’m going to need to rent a bike down there... so I’ll probably check in with the shop about trail/forest conditions, too.

Frontside trails tend to be rockier and rougher, as they get more erosion. Backside trails tend to be sandier.

But man, Connector, I used to ride that every Friday afternoon. There were weeks where the only tire marks were mine from the previous ride...

Dave Ferris
02-08-2018, 01:17 PM
I don't know any of those trails but I would think some might be impassable because of the mud slides.

A little further south, I have ridden the Sulphur Mountain trail in Ventura a few times with a friend that lives in Ventura -- actually it's more of a fire road. Which is more along the lines of my technical ability anyway. Very nice views and a good workout.
https://www.singletracks.com/bike-trails/sulphur-mountain.html

windsurfer
02-09-2018, 10:02 AM
Jesutita and Arroyo Burro trails are rideable as well as upper rattlesnake via tunnel. Be aware as lots of hikers in the area and we don't need any more conflict. Also, if the breeze picks up breathing is likely going to hurt. Everything else on the front side E (s) of there has been decimated.

Can still ride out of paradise, but E only to the reservoir.

Best bets are west of town. If you don't mind riding on a dirt road, Foo canyon to Regan ranch is rideable right now and has great views.