PDA

View Full Version : What is the Matrix?

Ti Designs
02-07-2018, 12:24 PM
I was talking to a friend this morning, he said "I was riding in London this morning" which I thought was odd, 'cause we're in New England. He was of course talking about riding on Zwift, but he described the ride as if he was actually on the road in London. He's far from alone in this, he's part of a growing population of people riding Zwift, and there are a lot of people who only ride virtual rides for various reasons. I'm worried...

The use of technology follows the same pattern as any other addiction. We've seen this with cell phones and texting - people know they shouldn't text and drive, but they don't have control, it's an addiction. Zwift is different, it's replacing real riding with virtual riding. The part that scares me is how quickly it's done that, and how quickly people are adopting virtual riding only. I fear by next season I'll be the lone dinosaur our on the road.

I can see it now. I convince someone to come out on a road ride with me. They ask "why do my legs hurt?" I answer "because you've never used them before".

AngryScientist
02-07-2018, 12:37 PM
I was talking to a friend this morning, he said "I was riding in London this morning" which I thought was odd, 'cause we're in New England. He was of course talking about riding on Zwift, but he described the ride as if he was actually on the road in London. He's far from alone in this, he's part of a growing population of people riding Zwift, and there are a lot of people who only ride virtual rides for various reasons. I'm worried...

The use of technology follows the same pattern as any other addiction. We've seen this with cell phones and texting - people know they shouldn't text and drive, but they don't have control, it's an addiction. Zwift is different, it's replacing real riding with virtual riding. The part that scares me is how quickly it's done that, and how quickly people are adopting virtual riding only. I fear by next season I'll be the lone dinosaur our on the road.

I can see it now. I convince someone to come out on a road ride with me. They ask "why do my legs hurt?" I answer "because you've never used them before".

Sorry Ed,

I agree with most of what you generally type, but this rant is ridiculous.

comparing riding on zwift to other "addictions" like cell phones and texting just does not fit. perhaps you have not tried it, but it is possible to get a very, very good workout on the smart trainer, and zwift is a great outlet to guide that workout.

how can you consider it anything but a good thing that riders are finding new ways to ride and stay in shape over the off season?

it's snowing here in NYC. i just did an hour on zwift during lunch, which was the amount of time i can allot to not working today. there is no way i was going to ride outside today. i got an awesome workout.

so - it was either i went and drank beer and eat pizza at lunch or hit the trainer for an hour.

the bit about "never using the legs before" is condescending nonsense. riding the trainer is not like sitting on the couch.

dont hate what you dont understand.

Black Dog
02-07-2018, 12:47 PM
Sorry Ed,

I agree with most of what you generally type, but this rant is ridiculous.

comparing riding on zwift to other "addictions" like cell phones and texting just does not fit. perhaps you have not tried it, but it is possible to get a very, very good workout on the smart trainer, and zwift is a great outlet to guide that workout.

how can you consider it anything but a good thing that riders are finding new ways to ride and stay in shape over the off season?

it's snowing here in NYC. i just did an hour on zwift during lunch, which was the amount of time i can allot to not working today. there is no way i was going to ride outside today. i got an awesome workout.

so - it was either i went and drank beer and eat pizza at lunch or hit the trainer for an hour.

the bit about "never using the legs before" is condescending nonsense. riding the trainer is not like sitting on the couch.

Perhaps there are more than just 2 options for what to do during lunch....:)

Zwift is, in a lot of ways, social media, like Strava. Social media is designed to provide social feedback that stimulates dopamine release and as such quickly can become addictive.

Kontact
02-07-2018, 12:48 PM
Does the steak taste better inside Zwift?

FlashUNC
02-07-2018, 12:53 PM
I mock it because I think it's a bit of World of Warcraft for bike geeks, but if it gets people on the trainer in the winter months, so be it.

kgreene10
02-07-2018, 01:31 PM
I just started Zwifting. I think the biggest concern I have related to this thread is that it’s availability may come to dissuade me from riding outside on days when I otherwise would but feel, for whatever reason, especially concerned about safety.

Other than that, the experience has been extraordinarily positive. I struggle to maintain training enough to be in race shape with family and work responsibilities. When you take all the prep and stoppage time into account for a midweek structured training session with just 90’ of ride time, I’m probably saving a full 45’ by doing it on Zwift. That’s a big deal.

In addition, it turns out that my 6.5 year old loves watching the “bike video”, handling the optional turns, and announcing various metrics. Getting him more addicted to screen time certainly isn’t ideal, but I get to combine talking with him about his day and other things in between intervals. Mind you, the alternative is that I’m simply out of the house or give up on racing.

I just started a month ago. So far, it’s been just fantastic for my situation. I still hammer with the group in Saturdays and do outdoor solo work on Sundays. And I’ll go back to more outdoor stuff midweek when my kid grows. For now, thank you Zwift!

weisan
02-07-2018, 01:54 PM
At least you don't have to worry about this:

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/wP-Wv3Ip68ph6hGA9AD1nOqlhQo=/0x0:1340x669/1200x800/filters:focal(563x228:777x442)/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/58483601/Screen_Shot_2018_01_28_at_1.55.31_PM.0.png

rain dogs
02-07-2018, 02:17 PM
I have used my trainer an embarrasingly infrequent number of times considering that I did buy it with the intention of using it. But in those few times I can tell you this:

If you have the same desire and motivation to train with intention you will get a better, more intense, more controlled workout in less time on the trainer than on the road.

If you want to use "virtual" ride software to assist with the motivation and tracking/data... whatever floats your boat. Better than staring at a wall.

But I cannot imagine there will ever be a day when I chose to ride indoors on Zwift/Bkool etc over going outdoors provided it's not terrible weather outside.

R3awak3n
02-07-2018, 02:27 PM
trust me, zwift will not replace going outside to ride. Trainner ridding will always be trainner ridding, not matter how awesome they make it (ok maybe in 100s of years where it will feel like you are outside) and it sucks.

zwift is great though, as far as trainers go. I am actually about to go jump in for an hour. Like angry, we have a few inches of snow, its super cold so its either I jump on the trainer or do nothing. Also zwift is MUCH better and entertaining than regular trainers of videos.

There is actually an article on bicycling this month about some ppl doing zwift instead of going outside.

ergott
02-07-2018, 02:38 PM
Best way to formulate an opinion on something is to try it (legal and moral considerations aside);)

Not replacing my outdoor riding, but surely will prepare me for it. Easier to get interval work done indoors and not worry about traffic or appropriate layers of clothing to wear. I never rode hard enough in the cold for threshold and above intervals without freezing afterwards upon cooling down. Also, my laundry days are a lot easier now that it's consistently 40-46F in my garage. One fan on low and I'm good.

my time on Zwift so far (in my 3rd off season)
https://photos.smugmug.com/Other/Randoms/i-HtfMSF5/0/ed58c2db/L/Zwift%20mileage-L.jpg

ergott
02-07-2018, 02:40 PM

If you think people aren't using their legs on Zwift, boy are you in for a surprise if you ever get on a smart trainer and Zwift. I'll offer you my setup (your bike) anytime you're ever in the area.

Ti Designs
02-07-2018, 02:43 PM

You know what I do for a living, right? I have three Zwift stations 15 feet from where I work. When I'm not there, I'm coaching riders on trainers or I'm working on training methods which better simulate the forces applied in the real world. In this area I'm like a smart person...

The issue I have isn't time on the trainer, it's the replacement of cycling with virtual cycling. For whatever reason (weather, safety, time of day...) people are switching over to Zwift. It's an egalitarian system, much like Spinning, and none of the other parameters (bike handling) apply. Getting back on the road is a rude awakening. That alone will send people back to the safety of their own basement.

We won't really know until the spring, but my guess is that between Peleton and Zwift, we've lost about 10% of the cycling population to the matrix.

KarlC
02-07-2018, 02:47 PM
If you think people aren't using their legs on Zwift, boy are you in for a surprise

+100 on this, some of the best training you can do is on a trainer, its just so boring, Zwift making it a bit better.

johnmdesigner
02-07-2018, 02:51 PM
You know what I do for a living, right? I have three Zwift stations 15 feet from where I work. When I'm not there, I'm coaching riders on trainers or I'm working on training methods which better simulate the forces applied in the real world. In this area I'm like a smart person...

The issue I have isn't time on the trainer, it's the replacement of cycling with virtual cycling. For whatever reason (weather, safety, time of day...) people are switching over to Zwift. It's an egalitarian system, much like Spinning, and none of the other parameters (bike handling) apply. Getting back on the road is a rude awakening. That alone will send people back to the safety of their own basement.

We won't really know until the spring, but my guess is that between Peleton and Zwift, we've lost about 10% of the cycling population to the matrix.

Seriously the people walking around my neighborhood have glasses with thick lenses as a result of a childhood of virtual reality. Do you really think they are going to ride on the road?
I spent this morning painting my apartment. Then I spent an hour on the trainer watching an old PBP video. I had a Merguez sausage sandwich and a gin and tonic for lunch. I’m a 60 year old f**k and I would have gone out for a ride today if I didn’t have to do my taxes (and if the GWB bridge was open).
Really Ed, what do you care? Those that use your services took the blue pill. The rest of us took the red one and got lousy sleep, alcoholism, bad diets, and more stress then we can process. We still ride on the road. On our bad fitting Serottas.
Jesus, I met you once at one of those company rides and you recoiled in horror. I was 130# and an avid rider. But no tattoos. Maybe that was the problem.

AngryScientist
02-07-2018, 02:55 PM
Getting back on the road is a rude awakening.

i disagree with your theory.

a diligent cyclist who has a decent training plan will emerge from the winter spent riding the trainer a much better cyclist in the spring than he/she otherwise might have.

superbowlpats
02-07-2018, 02:55 PM
For whatever reason (weather, safety, time of day...) people are switching over to Zwift.

Those seem like pretty good reasons to ride on a trainer to me. I don't have a PC good enough for Zwift so I'm stuck with Trainerroad and Netflix. Still better than riding in the dark or riding in the rain/ice today.

ergott
02-07-2018, 02:59 PM
Those seem like pretty good reasons to ride on a trainer to me. I don't have a PC good enough for Zwift so I'm stuck with Trainerroad and Netflix. Still better than riding in the dark or riding in the rain/ice today.

iPad?

ergott
02-07-2018, 03:01 PM
For whatever reason (weather, safety, time of day...) people are switching over to Zwift.

I know plenty of people that have ruined their season riding in icy conditions and crashing myself included.

none of the other parameters (bike handling) apply.

I do agree with you here. Group riding is definitely a skill you can't get anywhere else but out on the road.

2LeftCleats
02-07-2018, 03:02 PM
Agree with the others. For me, Zwifting is a positive experience. I get an effective workout quickly and my tolerance for dealing with cold weather on crappy sand covered roads in the winter is much less than it used to be. It's exhausting trying to chase other virtual riders and time passes far more quickly than with the old way of indoor training. I am constantly turning the pedals even on down hills, whereas on the road I ease up. I'm able to ride with my daughter who lives out of state. Its fun to try to keep up with the 'ferners' and the occasional pros who show up.

And besides, it's not just London. There's volcanos and jungles.

It's so realistic, I swear I see buttocks through worn out bibs.

FlashUNC
02-07-2018, 03:20 PM

That's really WAG'ing it don't you think?

Everyone I know who Zwifts does so to break up the monotony of their usual winter training regimen. And all of those folks are on the road just as soon as they have a break in the weather to ride outside.

cmg
02-07-2018, 03:20 PM
spent a winter with a spin group at a gold's gym. after a couple of sessions I mentioned that it was helping my road riding and the look I got. Why ride outside one asked. yea, some will never leave the safety of the gym and the smooth road it offers.

Jaybee
02-07-2018, 03:27 PM
spent a winter with a spin group at a gold's gym. after a couple of sessions I mentioned that it was helping my road riding and the look I got. Why ride outside one asked. yea, some will never leave the safety of the gym and the smooth road it offers.

In my experience, these are the type of people who aren't riders anyway. If they weren't in spin class, they'd be doing whatever other group fitness happens at their gym or running on the treadmill or lap swimming. Given the health of the average American, these people are doing miles better than most, even if they aren't cyclists per se.

Source: my wife, who is one of these people and won't ride her bike or run outside unless it's at least 75F.

coffeecake
02-07-2018, 03:32 PM
I used to hate on Zwift. This was before I tried it which was obviously kind of dumb.

Now, I'm cool with it. If it works for you, great. I've tried it (I even purchased a subscription) and it's not for me. I find myself pulling up vids and netflix shows instead. Whatever.

One thing I have an issue with is Zwift racing. Until the software can somehow verify that the weight one enters is correct, it will just be a joke.

Also, Zwift riding does not replicate the handling, cornering, and pack riding skills necessary to be successful in a bicycle race. So I still don't put much weight on a Zwift race win ;)

benb
02-07-2018, 04:04 PM
Instead of being defensive towards Ed maybe look at what he's actually afraid of.

Some of these people are not going to go back out onto the road. It's not about what they do in the winter.

It's do they decide they're just always going to use Zwift and/or some indoor cycling class year round.

That's a loss for cycling.

I still haven't tried it. I don't need it to have motivation I guess. And it would cost a good chunk of change I'd imagine to set it up.

No problem with it, but not for me. But I guess because I don't depend on there being riders out there in order to do my job (like Ed) it won't actually bother me if there are less riders out there.

Having lived away from areas where cycling is popular at times when cycling was less popular in general I still had a great time, I just rode 99% of the time by myself.

Believe me there are people who have an interest in less of us going outside and more of us sitting on trainers/stationary bikes for all of our "cycling". Had a very very very weird conversation about this with the owner of the "boutique spin" place that got put into the office park where I live. There are now 3 of these spin places within 1/4 mile of where I work, plus a "barre" place plus a "Orange Theory Fitness". All of them will happily take thousands of your $ every year and not even provide a shower or locker room to change in after class, and they're all really busy with lots of customers.

The social aspects of Zwift or any of these other options are incredibly different from getting out in the great outdoors with other riders AFAICT.

weisan
02-07-2018, 04:09 PM

Jaybee
02-07-2018, 04:21 PM
Instead of being defensive towards Ed maybe look at what he's actually afraid of.

Some of these people are not going to go back out onto the road. It's not about what they do in the winter.

It's do they decide they're just always going to use Zwift and/or some indoor cycling class year round.

I still haven't tried it. I don't need it to have motivation I guess. And it would cost a good chunk of change I'd imagine to set it up.

No problem with it, but not for me. But I guess because I don't depend on there being riders out there in order to do my job (like Ed) it won't actually bother me if there are less riders out there.

Having lived away from areas where cycling is popular at times when cycling was less popular in general I still had a great time, I just rode 99% of the time by myself.

Believe me there are people who have an interest in less of us going outside and more of us sitting on trainers/stationary bikes for all of our "cycling". Had a very very very weird conversation about this with the owner of the "boutique spin" place that got put into the office park where I live. There are now 3 of these spin places within 1/4 mile of where I work, plus a "barre" place plus a "Orange Theory Fitness". All of them will happily take thousands of your $ every year and not even provide a shower or locker room to change in after class, and they're all really busy with lots of customers.

The social aspects of Zwift or any of these other options are incredibly different from getting out in the great outdoors with other riders AFAICT.

Certainly there will be some population of people who were riding outside and picked up Zwift over the winter and decided it was better than sucking down exhaust while praying the driver behind them is done texting. If these people don't come back to the road, it is a loss for cycling in general. However, I don't think this represents 10% of the people currently riding on the road. I think it's a lot closer to 1% than 10%, though that's a WAG as well.

I think the busy spin studios are mostly catering to the people who were tired of Golds or 24hr Fitness or whatever, and not necessarily a significant poacher of people who would otherwise be out on the road. Zwift, which is something you are paying for to have in your home is a fundamentally different market. If you are paying for Zwift, then chances are good that you are a serious enough rider that you will be outside as soon as time/conditions allow.

Just how I see it, others may see it differently.

Ti Designs
02-07-2018, 04:27 PM
Believe me there are people who have an interest in less of us going outside and more of us sitting on trainers/stationary bikes for all of our "cycling". Had a very very very weird conversation about this with the owner of the "boutique spin" place that got put into the office park where I live. There are now 3 of these spin places within 1/4 mile of where I work.

I am amazed at how many indoor cycling places have opened in the area. I'm a little alarmed at how little they know combined with how easy it is to injure yourself with a 40 pound flywheel attached to some cranks...

zlin
02-07-2018, 04:49 PM
I see people at the gym each morning 'walk the beach' on smart treadmills - it's winter, it's cold, it's early :confused:

fwiw, my wife gets scared road riding because someone almost ran us over a couple years ago. In many places, riding is dangerous, esp during the winter. If she wants zwift to keep active, not a prob. If she puts on a vr helmet and then hops in the car to race nascar, we'll have a different conversation.

jb_11
02-07-2018, 05:13 PM
I've been stuck in a Zwift rut at times when either weather, family, or work obligations interfere with road time. It always feels really, really good to get back on the road though. In some ways it can make you appreciate it more.

rnhood
02-07-2018, 05:55 PM
Indoor cycling is primarily for cardio work and fitness. Many people in the northern areas do not have a choice. There is nothing wrong with it however, I do not agree with the comment that it makes one a better cyclist. That just isn't true imho.

FlashUNC
02-07-2018, 06:01 PM

That's a bit of Chicken Little though, no? Its no different than someone giving up cycling for golf or zumba or muay thai or literally anything else. There are always going to be people who stop riding for one reason or another. Blaming Zwift or Soul Cycle or anything else for that seems a tad myopic.

charliedid
02-07-2018, 06:03 PM

Duh

Tony
02-07-2018, 07:51 PM
[QUOTE=Ti Designs;2309628]I was talking to a friend this morning, he said "I was riding in London this morning" which I thought was odd, 'cause we're in New England. He was of course talking about riding on Zwift, but he described the ride as if he was actually on the road in London. He's far from alone in this, he's part of a growing population of people riding Zwift, and there are a lot of people who only ride virtual rides for various reasons. I'm worried...

I can see it now. I convince someone to come out on a road ride with me. They ask "why do my legs hurt?" I answer "because you've never used them before".[/QUOTE.

I think you are seeing illuminati where there are none.

djg21
02-07-2018, 08:16 PM

I’m sorry to be cavalier, but so what? People ride bikes for different reasons. If people enjoy Zwift and choose to ride indoors rather than outdoors, that’s their prerogative. It certainly is better than sitting on the couch.

I use Zwift through the winter, in bad weather during the riding season, when my work schedule precludes me from training during daylight hours, and sometimes when I just want to efficiently do timed intervals without worrying about traffic and traffic control devices, i.e., stop lights/signs. Before Zwift, I did the same thing with my Computrainer and various other software offerings. I really don’t see Zwift as changing things that much, even though it does have a social aspect.

mcfarton
02-07-2018, 08:50 PM
I have a fear of this. Between a surgery and a terrible winter I have ridden outside twice in about 90 days. Zwift fits my family life and professional life better than outdoor cycling. I hope that I switch back when the opportunity materializes.

But I will say this, the gain Zwift has made in my ftp is fantastic. I will put solid money on making the original poster feeling like he has no legs. I have used my time to achieve gains that I could not have outside. I live in Montgomery county Maryland and I am willing to back that up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tony
02-07-2018, 09:11 PM
[QUOTE=mcfarton;2309968]I have a fear of this. Between a surgery and a terrible winter I have ridden outside twice in about 90 days. Zwift fits my family life and professional life better than outdoor cycling. I hope that I switch back when the opportunity materializes.

But I will say this, the gain Zwift has made in my ftp is fantastic. I will put solid money on making the original poster feeling like he has no legs. I have used my time to achieve gains that I could not have outside. I live in Montgomery county Maryland and I am willing to back that up!
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

I'm your huckleberry, my money is on Ti!

Greatwhite
02-07-2018, 09:52 PM
Using Zwift does not compare to being addicted to mobile phone use IMO.

I use Zwift almost exclusively because:

its summer in Australia so that means it hot.
Outside rides take a long time to prepare for (clothes etc).
Outside rides involve traffic, bad roads, and sometimes animals.
Outside roads are not as easy to control (ie power intervals).

Zwift is easy, you can quickly refill water bottles as needed, toilet stops anytime, controlled workouts, and no angry motorists.

No comparison IMO.
I would only go outside now to attempt Strava KOMs, or to be social.

Black Dog
02-07-2018, 10:16 PM

Zwift is easy, you can quickly refill water bottles as needed, toilet stops anytime, controlled workouts, and no angry motorists.

No comparison IMO.

This actually makes me sad. :(

Bob Ross
02-08-2018, 06:29 AM

Well, I've ridden with a few cyclists [sic] whose only group riding experience -- and the majority of whose riding, period, from September through March -- is in indoor spin classes on trainers or other fixed exercise machines.

And the experience has demonstrated to me rather unequivocally that spin class teaches one absolutely nothing about how to ride a bicycle.

These people become dangerous liabilities when you put them out on the road in a group.

So I don't bemoan their desire to stay active/in shape during the off-season; I simply wish they could acknowledge that what they're doing is not "cycling" and only bears a passing resemblance to that activity.

saab2000
02-08-2018, 06:46 AM
And the experience has demonstrated to me rather unequivocally that spin class teaches one absolutely nothing about how to ride a bicycle.

This is true. Many of them seem to equate cycling and running and ask the participants to 'run' on the bike. Spin classes led by a cyclist or at least an athlete who has a clue are actually really good.

Back to the topic at hand, why anyone would be dismayed over someone else's decision to train indoors and use a really cool virtual application like Zwift is beyond me. I worry about myself and what others do is their business. If it motivates people to train in the winter how is that a bad thing?

I currently live in Michigan and winter riding is virtually non-existent if I don't own a fat bike, which I don't. So I use my trainer indoors. Currently I am using an old Cyclops fluid trainer and listening to podcasts. I plan to buy a second-hand Wahoo Kickr in a few weeks from a known seller and then next winter I plan to go full in with Zwift. My buddy who uses it (I tried it once for a couple weeks but it really doesn't work well with a 'dumb' trainer like a fluid trainer) claims it is revolutionary in motivating him to train in the winter.

Notice that in reference to the indoor training, I don't use the word riding. It's training and if Zwift and other programs like it help people train, what's the problem and why would anyone else care?

glepore
02-08-2018, 07:06 AM
My primary complaint about Zwift is that all of the folks on my group ride are now ready to go stupid fast in March. The edge that I had in the past by doing dedicated intervals indoors in the winter is gone. Screw Zwift.:D

Seriously, I ride intervals to hd video of places I'll not get to anytime soon. I really enjoy that, but it'll never replace being outside. My problem with Zwift is more about my problem with social media generally-it's a dumbed down partial version of real human interaction, and much of the subtlety is lost. Strava isn't competition (the playing field isn't level-cliamate, wind, group v non etc), Facebook isn't conversation etc. But if Zwift gets people to train when they wouldn't go out, yay. I don't think there are many "real" cyclists who will be lost to Zwift, and those folks that are lost aren't folks I'd probably want to ride with anyway.

Ti Designs
02-08-2018, 07:34 AM

How much money are we talking?

I'm not complaining that people are using Zwift to train in the winter. I don't agree with the training plan, but then I have weird ideas about training... I'm complaining that the cycling population is dwindling because of the path of least resistance - it's easier just to keep the bike on the trainer. I've even heard of a case where a guy had Zwift running on his phone on his stem while out on a road ride. I'm telling you, it's only a matter of time before they replace the iPhone with a jack in the back of your head so you can be inserted into the matrix.

R3awak3n
02-08-2018, 07:45 AM
If someone only wants to use zwift, more power to them man.

I sit on that thing for an hour and I want to the out. Its better than nothing but still want to get out of the trainer any chance I get. I can have netflix, audio books, whatever, get me out of there. I don't think I ever have done more than 1 hour and half on a trainer and I intend to keep it that way.

ergott
02-08-2018, 07:48 AM
I'm complaining that the cycling population is dwindling because of the path of least resistance - it's easier just to keep the bike on the trainer.

I think you are taking a couple anecdotes and assuming a lot.

Tony T
02-08-2018, 07:50 AM
I tried Zwift, but found the graphics distracting (and not in a good way)
I like, and use TrainerRoad, but will get on the road as soon as we're above 50°

AngryScientist
02-08-2018, 07:51 AM

I'm not complaining that people are using Zwift to train in the winter. I don't agree with the training plan, but then I have weird ideas about training... I'm complaining that the cycling population is dwindling because of the path of least resistance - it's easier just to keep the bike on the trainer. I've even heard of a case where a guy had Zwift running on his phone on his stem while out on a road ride. I'm telling you, it's only a matter of time before they replace the iPhone with a jack in the back of your head so you can be inserted into the matrix.

i guess you probably see a larger cross section of the bike riding population than i do, but i do not see what you do from my perspective.

every single person i know who uses zwift, etc - does so to stay in shape or get more fit in the off season to be ready for the spring.

there is nothing worse than when that first glorious spring day comes around and you jump on the bike outside and your fitness is rubbish. you want to ride a 20mph century and enjoy the new awesome weather, but you cant because you're out of shape.

with zwift, and staying in good form over the winter - it allows us to take advantage of the outdoor time without sucking as much wind.

that's what i see.

mcfarton
02-08-2018, 07:53 AM

Just bragging rights I have a single income family

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sitzmark
02-08-2018, 09:33 AM
Ti's concerns are being worked on ....

https://youtu.be/cWKvbDgJXAE?t=7m52s

It could be a different world in 10-15 years.

sandyrs
02-08-2018, 10:35 AM

No comparison IMO.

This is incredibly depressing...