PDA

View Full Version : Adri Van der Poel's comments on cyclocross championships (SPOILER ALERT)

bthornt
02-05-2018, 02:40 PM
From cycling news. Essentially calling Van Aert a doper.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/van-aert-it-was-one-of-the-best-days-on-the-bike-world-championships-shorts/

pasadena
02-05-2018, 03:02 PM
It's from MVdP's father. Inappropriate but in the heat of bitter disappointment, he will say some things that he may regret. It should be taken with a grain of salt.

The gap was big because, at a certain point, MVdP started racing for second.

chiasticon
02-05-2018, 03:06 PM
he later clarified that he meant it as a compliment.

"Wout drove around without breathing: that's a big compliment, which is what I laugh about when I give cycling clinics, which is a sign that the condition is good and that everything is going well."

source: http://sporza.be/cm/sporza/wielrennen/veldrijden/1.3139098

after talking about it some across the hall, my guess is the gap grew so quickly because Mathieu basically gave up after he knew he couldn't stay with Wout. and then he basically experienced what the rest of the field has been experiencing all season.

FlashUNC
02-05-2018, 03:56 PM
The younger Van der Poel has a reputation for packing it in when the going gets too tough and Van Aert looked to be on a mission.

I dunno, that course being what it was, that kinda lead for someone out for blood and Van der Poel on (finally) a bad day wouldn't be a huge shock.

Plus it ain't like Van Aert was the only one dusting Van der Poel. Couple other Belgians were beating the brakes off him too.

crankles
02-05-2018, 05:49 PM
agreed. 1) when MVdP has a bad day, he has a really bad day. Wouts bad days only cost him 30 seconds. He doesn't seem to lose focus like MDvP 2) Muddy courses amplify the time gaps. I can't recall which muddy race it was this past season, maybe a superprestige?, but the 4th thru 10th riders trickled in at like 30 second intervals.

The younger Van der Poel has a reputation for packing it in when the going gets too tough and Van Aert looked to be on a mission.

I dunno, that course being what it was, that kinda lead for someone out for blood and Van der Poel on (finally) a bad day wouldn't be a huge shock.

Plus it ain't like Van Aert was the only one dusting Van der Poel. Couple other Belgians were beating the brakes off him too.

dancinkozmo
02-05-2018, 05:53 PM
newsflash....theyre ALL dopers

oldpotatoe
02-06-2018, 07:30 AM
:eek:newsflash....they're ALL dopers

:eek: Not sure why this isn't brought up more..yup, the 'cross big boys and girls all have MDs, know the 'rules' inside out(TUEs) and dance around the gray middle ground all the time. Yup, kinda fringe sport when compared to road racing but still big $ in this game. I always got a giggle when doping was brought up in Iron-man level tri racing and 'some' in the sport were HORRIFIED it was even brought up...'can't be, a 'pure' sport!'...balderdash...

jruhlen1980
02-06-2018, 12:02 PM
he later clarified that he meant it as a compliment.

"Wout drove around without breathing: that's a big compliment, which is what I laugh about when I give cycling clinics, which is a sign that the condition is good and that everything is going well."

source: http://sporza.be/cm/sporza/wielrennen/veldrijden/1.3139098

Interesting. Take him at his word or do you think he's backpedaling?

But as someone else said... I'm cynical enough to think everyone's up to something. Oh well, both races were fun to watch for different reasons.

Gummee
02-06-2018, 12:47 PM
:eek:

:eek: Not sure why this isn't brought up more..yup, the 'cross big boys and girls all have MDs, know the 'rules' inside out(TUEs) and dance around the gray middle ground all the time. Yup, kinda fringe sport when compared to road racing but still big $ in this game. I always got a giggle when doping was brought up in Iron-man level tri racing and 'some' in the sport were HORRIFIED it was even brought up...'can't be, a 'pure' sport!'...balderdash...

MASTERs racers are getting popped doping. If there's a winner and a loser, there'll be someone willing to go that extra bit to find an advantage. Since time immemorial. See also Smokey Yunick or the botox in the camel beauty competition snafu

M

gavingould
02-07-2018, 09:12 AM
being at Valkenburg and watching it in person was pretty incredible. the Dutch fans were pretty stunned when that gap went out past 30sec or so.