PDA

View Full Version : seeking advice on goggles for snow or super cold

bicycletricycle
02-05-2018, 09:42 AM
When it gets cold enough that I have to cover my nose and mouth (20deg) my glasses tend to fog up. I have been thinking about getting goggles, I guess clear ones since they need to work at night. Not sure what brand or type to consider, I do not wear a helmet so I don't have any problems with them being compatible.

you guys have any advice?

cp43
02-05-2018, 09:53 AM
I just use my ski goggles. I have a pair by Smith, and a pair by Rudy Project. I like the Rudys a bit better, they have a nose cover, so I don't have to try to get my balaclava over my nose.

Chris

phoenix
02-05-2018, 09:59 AM
Really just kind of comes down to how much you’re willing to spend. They typically range from $30-250. You get what you would expect within the price ranges. In reality though for what you’re using them for something like the Giro Semi $80, or Giro Index OTG (over the glasses, if you wear them) will do you just fine. Still get good venting as well as optics. Fogtech and Cat Crap, yes that’s actually the name, work well if you need additional help with fogging of the lense.

bicycletricycle
02-05-2018, 10:44 AM
surprised that giro makes goggles for some reason

benb
02-05-2018, 11:02 AM
Are you using them for biking?

Unfortunately the glasses can/will just fog up inside the goggles even though the double-walled goggles have resisted fogging well. It's a pretty tricky problem.

I've never really worn goggles for biking.. I spent a lot of time dealing with this issue snowboarding though. Build up some heat going down the mountain with good airflow and you're OK. Stop to rest and/or get to the lift and BAM, you're blind.

The best solution I had was some ski goggles actually have a fan! I used a pair like that for a long time. It was designed so that you could easily turn it on or off without taking big winter mitts off. I'd tend to shut it off when I was moving and turn it on when I was coming to a stop.

The batteries lasted a really long time. 2xAAA in the band. Maybe not a full season but many days of use.

For biking what has worked better for me is just really full coverage glasses plus careful covering of the rest of the face and covering/uncovering mouth/nose as needed.

But I'm generally not going to go out below 20F.

These are something like what I had, I might have actually had an older version of these, they were expensive but damn these seem crazy expensive now ($300-340 depending on lens). I bought mine close to 20 years ago so they were a lot less money. They fell apart (rubber deterioration) after 15 years or so. They were worth it though:

https://www.smithoptics.com/us/Root/Men%27s/Goggles/Snow/I-OX-Turbo-Fan/p/IL5CPZBK18

bicycletricycle
02-05-2018, 11:24 AM
wow, those are cool. I bought some cheap goggles and I will see how they go. If the fogging problem persists than I may try some other face coverings and glasses. It just always seems like some of my warm breath sneaks up through whatever I have covering my face and instantly fogs my lenses.

Riding in cold temps is a pain in the ass but I got to get to work. Luckily it is only 5 miles.

Are you using them for biking?

Unfortunately the glasses can/will just fog up inside the goggles even though the double-walled goggles have resisted fogging well. It's a pretty tricky problem.

I've never really worn goggles for biking.. I spent a lot of time dealing with this issue snowboarding though. Build up some heat going down the mountain with good airflow and you're OK. Stop to rest and/or get to the lift and BAM, you're blind.

The best solution I had was some ski goggles actually have a fan! I used a pair like that for a long time. It was designed so that you could easily turn it on or off without taking big winter mitts off. I'd tend to shut it off when I was moving and turn it on when I was coming to a stop.

The batteries lasted a really long time. 2xAAA in the band. Maybe not a full season but many days of use.

For biking what has worked better for me is just really full coverage glasses plus careful covering of the rest of the face and covering/uncovering mouth/nose as needed.

But I'm generally not going to go out below 20F.

These are something like what I had, I might have actually had an older version of these, they were expensive but damn these seem crazy expensive now ($300-340 depending on lens). I bought mine close to 20 years ago so they were a lot less money. They fell apart (rubber deterioration) after 15 years or so. They were worth it though:

https://www.smithoptics.com/us/Root/Men%27s/Goggles/Snow/I-OX-Turbo-Fan/p/IL5CPZBK18

saf-t
02-05-2018, 11:46 AM
Visorgogs (https://www.amazon.com/VISORGOG-Visorgog-Blue/dp/B001VINXOU). Totally dorky looking, but have worked over my glasses for more than 15 years now.

*And*, they also provide you with safety eyewear when doing something that might subject you to flying particles,

bicycletricycle
02-05-2018, 11:59 AM
those look pretty cool! you wear them over your regular glasses?

Visorgogs (https://www.amazon.com/VISORGOG-Visorgog-Blue/dp/B001VINXOU). Totally dorky looking, but have worked over my glasses for more than 15 years now.

*And*, they also provide you with safety eyewear when doing something that might subject you to flying particles,

NHAero
02-05-2018, 12:12 PM
I have an older pair of Smith ski goggles that have small holes top and bottom, and an EMS pile balaclava with a nose covering that vents out the bottom. Got these in my winter hiking days in the NH White Mountains - no fogging ever, at temps far below what I will ride in. I had this set-up while riding in early January down to 10˚F and it worked fine.