PDA

View Full Version : Disk Brake Help Needed: TRP Hy/Rd not stopping

jambee
02-05-2018, 07:04 AM
I'm looking for ideas from you lot.

I've been using my TRP Hy-Rd for several years now. They always worked very well. I transferred them from my Van Dessel to the Elephant NFE and have ridden them for a year+ very happily.

In recent weeks the front brake lost its stopping power. It has a very good engagement point, but it just does not stop. I realigned and cleaned everything, but no improvement was noted. So I replaced the pads thinking that they were maybe contaminated from some oil I picked up on the street.

Now, with the new pads, there is slight improvement in stopping power, but still, I'd say that they are nothing like they used to be. The rear wheel stops on a dime, yet the front wheel does not lock up at all any more. Comparing the performance of these brakes that used to be great to my TRP Spyre is really sad since the Hy-Rd used to be "WOW" and now the front brake is just lame.

Any ideas what's happening and what should the course of action be?

chrisroph
02-05-2018, 08:12 AM
There is a small allen screw that determines how far the laver arm can travel and how much it engages the hydraulics. You probably need to turn that out a bit. They are good brakes when adjusted right.

jambee
02-05-2018, 01:16 PM
Thanks! Will try this and see if that works.

jambee
02-06-2018, 02:18 AM
@chrisroph Thanks bud! This did the trick. Brakes are back to awesome state!

chrisroph
02-07-2018, 09:14 AM
You're welcome! Glad to help.

pbarry
02-07-2018, 07:10 PM
Just bled mine for the 4th time, and finally got em working properly, (after amending my rookie procedure). I kept pressure on the syringe while securing the bleeder bolt and topped off the other port before sealing it up. Almost gave up on these brakes, but all's well now.