PDA

View Full Version : Calfee Tetra Pro Question

Jeff N.
10-03-2006, 11:17 AM
I recently acquired a Calfee Tetra Pro frame and noticed that the BB shell sticks out a little more on the drive side that the non-drive side (off center). Is this normal? Haven't built it up yet. Jeff N.

timto
10-03-2006, 12:26 PM
Earlier tetras had clearance issues with chainrings and the drive side stay - it wasn't uncommon to shim out the BB on the drive side - calfee actually sent my pal Clement a shim to do exactly this. This wasn't an issue with the old school bb/cranks but when everything went low profile the design wasn't campatible and wasn't updated right away either. My tetra, of a newer generation, didn't need a shim for a campy 102 bb - and I noticed the same thing you are seeing, the drive side stay is docked inboard of the bb edge on the drive side.

I do believe this is by design to solve the chainring clearance issue of earlier frames.

I'd drop them a line to confirm. The bike was straight and aligned as such and was excellent riding - nice amount of give and plenty firm enough for me. I regret parting ways with it.

Tim

LegendRider
10-03-2006, 12:55 PM
I had clearance issues on my 97 Tetra. My LBS mechanic eventually used an XTR spindle with Dura Ace bearings to move the inner ring out a few mms.

Jeff N.
10-03-2006, 02:11 PM
Earlier tetras had clearance issues with chainrings and the drive side stay - it wasn't uncommon to shim out the BB on the drive side - calfee actually sent my pal Clement a shim to do exactly this. This wasn't an issue with the old school bb/cranks but when everything went low profile the design wasn't campatible and wasn't updated right away either. My tetra, of a newer generation, didn't need a shim for a campy 102 bb - and I noticed the same thing you are seeing, the drive side stay is docked inboard of the bb edge on the drive side.

I do believe this is by design to solve the chainring clearance issue of earlier frames.

I'd drop them a line to confirm. The bike was straight and aligned as such and was excellent riding - nice amount of give and plenty firm enough for me. I regret parting ways with it.

TimThanks for backing up what I'm hearing (E-mailed Craig Calfee). I just wanted to be sure it wasn't a design/build flaw before I had Joe Bell spray on a $500.00 paint job! Jeff N.

timto
10-03-2006, 04:21 PM
We're still waiting for pictures of the holland.... :)

Jeff N.
10-03-2006, 05:18 PM
We're still waiting for pictures of the holland.... :)My camera went to lunch. Just as soon as I find time to get another, pics will be posted. I won't forget. Jeff N.