PDA

View Full Version : Tire Recommendations...carbon clinchers

PNW
02-05-2018, 12:52 AM
I’ve decided to go with Bora One clinchers, yes this might bother some but I don’t reslly care. I am going with a 28 size and currently run 25s on my HED C2s (Veloflex Corsa). Apparently they don’t recommend these for carbon clinchers.

I am leaning towards tan wall Vittoria Corsa G clinchers in a 28...yay or nay?

sw3759
02-05-2018, 03:48 AM

you can't do much better than those tires imo for all around great performance and a ride second to none (w/latex tubes of course)

bonus* those tan walls look awesome on a Moots too

weisan
02-05-2018, 05:01 AM
What kind of riding do you do?

Cicli
02-05-2018, 05:15 AM
Veloflex will be fine. The disclamer was for some carbon rims. Like cheap chinese ones. They had flashing around the inside hook and could cut a thin sidewall. If you want 28’s, its really hard to beat Vittorias. You give up a bit (not much) in durability but gain huge amounts in ride.

PNW
02-05-2018, 07:23 AM
What kind of riding do you do?

Just road only..nothing extreme.

AngryScientist
02-05-2018, 07:29 AM
veloflex tires would be fine on boras. as mentioned, that recommendation against using them on carbon clinchers was a holdover from when rim QC wasnt as good, but modern high quality carbon rims have no problem.

veloflex is still my favorite road tire, clincher or tubular, but the vittorias are pretty good also, a little more durable.

i think the fastest tires i've used are the specialized turbo cotton tires. they're expensive, wear fast, but man - they are FAST tires.

Kirk007
02-05-2018, 08:39 AM
I must be the only person that dislikes the Vittoria Corsa G 28s but I had them slide around on me more than once on wet curves where that has never been a problem before.

I'm using some Panaracer Race D evo3 this winter in a 28 (on sale at Excel Sports for 28 each. The Race A maybe more similar to the Veloflex. Anyway I like them. The Compass Chinook Pass EL is another that I would consider (much more $$ than it's panaracer cousin though).

andrewsuzuki
02-05-2018, 10:17 AM
Can anyone comment on the Corsa G+ vs. GP 4000s II? I see bicyclerollingresistance tested them to be identical as far as steel-drum RR and puncture goes. How does the comfort compare?

simonov
02-05-2018, 10:25 AM
Can anyone comment on the Corsa G+ vs. GP 4000s II? I see bicyclerollingresistance tested them to be identical as far as steel-drum RR and puncture goes. How does the comfort compare?

I found the Corsa G+ to be slightly smoother rolling, but much less durable than GP4000s II.

PNW
02-05-2018, 10:30 AM
I always run 25s so will try those first and maybe compare with 28s later on!

zap
02-05-2018, 10:41 AM
Conti 4K2 25c should be close to 28 when mounted on current wider Bora's.

Bora's are go fast wheels............so will ride accordingly.

Comfort is in the position on the bike.

R3awak3n
02-05-2018, 10:43 AM
vittoria corsa g+

they are the best tires on the market right now.

the veloflexes are very good but they don't compare to the corsas imo.

ltwtsculler91
02-05-2018, 10:52 AM
I'll join the chorus and recommend the Vittoria Corsa G+. I've been running 23s and 25s on my bikes and they are fantastic. I think they roll better than the GP4000s and feel much more confident when it is wet out.

Also, I would check out the Challenge Paris Roubaix as another similar option. I just got a set for my early season rides/racing as I've loved the larger 30mm Strada Bianca as a winter/road option on my cross bike and have around 4k on 2 sets of those with no issues.

wildboar
02-05-2018, 11:14 AM

Those Corsa G+ also come in full black now, not limited to anthracite gray or tan anymore.

I see them on biketiresdirect and PBK

Basso69
02-05-2018, 11:29 AM
I am using Conti 4000 clinchers on my Bora one 50. They run around 27mm. Absolutely no problems. Use butyl tubes, recommended for carbon rims.

John H.
02-05-2018, 11:40 AM
Corsa G+ in 28mm is a nice tire. Not durable, but a nice tire. I found mine to cut more easily than the Conti GP 4000 II.
G+ is a true 28mm- Not nearly as big as the oversized Conti GP4000 II in 28mm (that measures close to 32mm).

Conti GP4000 II in 25mm is more similar in size to the G+ in 28mm.

Other possibilities are Schwable Pro one in 28mm, Or Compass Chinook Pass.

PNW
02-05-2018, 01:08 PM
Corsa G+ in 28mm is a nice tire. Not durable, but a nice tire. I found mine to cut more easily than the Conti GP 4000 II.
G+ is a true 28mm- Not nearly as big as the oversized Conti GP4000 II in 28mm (that measures close to 32mm).

Conti GP4000 II in 25mm is more similar in size to the G+ in 28mm.

Other possibilities are Schwable Pro one in 28mm, Or Compass Chinook Pass.

Do you know what the Vittoria Corsa 25s measure out to be? Are they a true 25?

OtayBW
02-05-2018, 02:02 PM
Do you know what the Vittoria Corsa 25s measure out to be? Are they a true 25?
I assume you mean the Corsa G+. Can't say exactly; however, I run Corsa G+ in 23s and they measure exactly 25, FWIW...

PNW
02-05-2018, 02:11 PM
I assume you mean the Corsa G+. Can't say exactly; however, I run Corsa G+ in 23s and they measure exactly 25, FWIW...

Yes the Corsa G+.

pdmtong
02-05-2018, 02:19 PM
Veloflex will be fine. The disclamer was for some carbon rims. Like cheap chinese ones. They had flashing around the inside hook and could cut a thin sidewall.

veloflex tires would be fine on boras. as mentioned, that recommendation against using them on carbon clinchers was a holdover from when rim QC wasnt as good, but modern high quality carbon rims have no problem.

i think the fastest tires i've used are the specialized turbo cotton tires. they're expensive, wear fast, but man - they are FAST tires.
Veloflex on a modern high quality carbon rim will be fine. As pointed out about, the cheap rims had bead shape issues causing problems

Specialized Turbo cotton - yes....very fast. very expensive. wear fast.

Can anyone comment on the Corsa G+ vs. GP 4000s II?
I found the Corsa G+ to be slightly smoother rolling, but much less durable than GP4000s II.
^ agreed, G+ more comfy but not as durable. A GP4Ks2 is pretty hard to kill.

Note the Conti will be a much taller tire than the G+ in same size.

generally tire fit to a frame/fork is dependent more on the fork than the frame so the question of "will this tire fit my frame" depends on the combination of
- fork - where is the hole drilled?
- brake - where are the pivots
- rim width
- tire size
- tire brand (a 25 is not the same size across brands)

PNW
02-05-2018, 02:23 PM
Veloflex on a modern high quality carbon rim will be fine. As pointed out about, the cheap rims had bead shape issues causing problems

Specialized Turbo cotton - yes....very fast. very expensive. wear fast.

^ agreed, G+ more comfy but not as durable. A GP4Ks2 is pretty hard to kill.

Note the Conti will be a much taller tire than the G+ in same size.

generally tire fit to a frame/fork is dependent more on the fork than the frame so the question of "will this tire fit my frame" depends on the combination of
- fork - where is the hole drilled?
- brake - where are the pivots
- rim width
- tire size
- tire brand (a 25 is not the same size across brands)

So if the Moots fork says it will clear 28s it might not fit all brands? Do you know what the 2015+ Campy calipers clear?