PDA

View Full Version : Just had a trolley track crash

Kontact
02-04-2018, 04:40 PM
In 2016 Desiree McCloud was killed here in Seattle when her bicycle tire rolled into a recessed trolley track running parallel to the street. I was a little dismissive of the lawsuit at the time, since this is a super obvious hazard to cyclists.

It turns out that when you are riding in traffic with noon glare on the street and the tracks are converging with the street direction, it isn't so damn obvious.

I went down instantaneously without even being aware that I was close to tracks. Aesthetic damage to the bike, lump and contusion on my knees, torn up elbow, sore shoulder and some neck stiffness. I am a REALLY careful and aware rider and have had so few crashes or near accidents over the years because I have a lot of military trained situational awareness. I just couldn't see the tracks in today's conditions while watching for pedestrians and cars.

I'm so pissed about this that I'm going to contact McCloud's lawyer to offer myself as a witness to the issue in their suit against the city for rail covers.

rustychisel
02-04-2018, 05:14 PM
Feel for you.... those things are a cyclists pitfall. I've never been caught by one, partly because we have so few trolley cars (trams) around here, but in their infinite wisdom the state government is reinstalling them in the city (cuz, y'know, it's 1954 again).

Anyway, hope you heal okay and keep the militancy.

ultraman6970
02-04-2018, 05:18 PM
How you can cover the rails and be able the "train" to use it at the same time???

Never seen that, but that doesnt mean is possible.

Good luck with this one tho.

nobuseri
02-04-2018, 05:26 PM
Suggesting to take it easy for the next day or two. Make sure things are OK after a long rest and the adrenaline is out of the system.

Glad you're OK, and you can walk this one out.

Kontact
02-04-2018, 05:42 PM
How you can cover the rails and be able the "train" to use it at the same time???

Never seen that, but that doesnt mean is possible.

Good luck with this one tho.

There are flexible rubber liners that will support a rider but flex down under the weight of the streetcar.

But they cost money. That's what the McCloud lawsuit is asking the city to spend money on.

I've had two accidents in the last 10 years, and both were due to infrastructure. I got caught in a railing last year at a really screwy ADA ramped sidewalk.

Mikej
02-04-2018, 06:02 PM
I curse those tracks!!!

cachagua
02-04-2018, 06:47 PM
I'm aghast Seattle allowed those trolleys to be built. They contribute nothing to transportation that buses don't do, they and their stations take up a lot of space that would be better used in other ways, and -- the tracks are deathtraps.

I've got to find out who's in charge here. One flamingly stupid decision after another. Not all of it is bike-related, so I don't want to get into the whole litany of ill-conceived... but the bike-related stuff ALONE would arouse a grand-jury investigation in any jurisdiction that takes itself seriously. I've lost track of how many people have been killed by Seattle's bike-friendly infrastructure.

Let's not even get me started about the 2-way lanes next to established streets. Among other disadvantages, they create exactly the situation that killed the bike-rider in Boston some time ago, the video of which has been discussed here. In fact when the first lanes like that were built here, someone was killed within something like a week or two. But are we gonna let a little thing like that stop us? Hell no! Since then, miles more of this configuration have been built.

Maybe it's irresponsible of me to remain uninvolved because I'm planning to move. I kinda feel like I should go have a conversation with someone about this, instead of just turning my back. But I'm remembering now I attended a "planning meeting" for one of these "improvements" about four years ago and it was abundantly clear that the plan was already decided on, and the meeting was strictly for the purpose of lubing up the public before construction started. It was actually a miserably depressing evening.

Best wishes for speedy recovery. And if, in your conversation with McCloud's lawyer, it seems like there's room for another voice, I'd be happy to contribute my perspective. I am actually able to be calm about it, although it probably doesn't seem like that from what I've just written!

MattTuck
02-04-2018, 07:24 PM
Sorry to hear this. Was this is South Lake Union Transit trolleys? I spent half a year living at the corner of Virginia and 7th. The trolly went right down Westlake Ave...

Hope you heal up ok :)

Kontact
02-04-2018, 07:40 PM
Sorry to hear this. Was this is South Lake Union Transit trolleys? I spent half a year living at the corner of Virginia and 7th. The trolly went right down Westlake Ave...

Hope you heal up ok :)

No, this one is the newer line on Broadway in Capitol Hill. It was right by the terminus at Howell where there's a rail junction and it merges in from the shoulder.

I live a few blocks away and go through this area all the time, so it isn't that I didn't "know" about the tracks, but intellectually being aware of them doesn't prepare you if they aren't glaringly obvious as you riding south into the sun.

MattTuck
02-04-2018, 07:49 PM
just as an aside, riding into the sun low in the sky is such a crappy situation to start with.

During certain times of year, the road I live on is in that zone in the after work hours. I hate riding probably a 2 mile section, but just keep my head on a swivel because my main concern is some driver who hasn't cleaned the inside of their windshield in 18 months being essentially blinded. In my zest for looking behind me, I've hit multiple deep potholes and other lateral cracks. Just as easily could hit a longitudinal crack and gone down.

pdmtong
02-04-2018, 11:28 PM
sorry to hear - glad not worse since could have been.

wonder how does the oakley prizm lens perform in that light situation?

zzy
02-04-2018, 11:41 PM
I hate those things with a burning passion. In Toronto I easily crashed 3-4 times hitting those recessed streetcar tracks at a bad angle. When wet or icy you go down instantly if your weight isn't balanced. Especially at intersections where they turn 90* and you can't cross at a perpendicular angle, they're terrifying. Even worse, when they're covered in snow you don't see them till suddenly you're going sideways.

soulspinner
02-05-2018, 05:59 AM
Glad you will be ok.

tuscanyswe
02-05-2018, 06:02 AM
Id say i go down in trolley track perhaps not every winter but every other.
First snow. not enough traffic on the tracks to wipe it off between the rides. Looks like a normal street to anyone who hasent ridden it before (well and me to since i apparently have goldfish memory every other year).

It hurts and its little you can do to save oneself from going down :/

Mzilliox
02-05-2018, 06:59 AM
sorry to hear this and hope for a speedy recovery.

oldpotatoe
02-05-2018, 07:01 AM
In 2016 Desiree McCloud was killed here in Seattle when her bicycle tire rolled into a recessed trolley track running parallel to the street. I was a little dismissive of the lawsuit at the time, since this is a super obvious hazard to cyclists.

It turns out that when you are riding in traffic with noon glare on the street and the tracks are converging with the street direction, it isn't so damn obvious.

I went down instantaneously without even being aware that I was close to tracks. Aesthetic damage to the bike, lump and contusion on my knees, torn up elbow, sore shoulder and some neck stiffness. I am a REALLY careful and aware rider and have had so few crashes or near accidents over the years because I have a lot of military trained situational awareness. I just couldn't see the tracks in today's conditions while watching for pedestrians and cars.

I'm so pissed about this that I'm going to contact McCloud's lawyer to offer myself as a witness to the issue in their suit against the city for rail covers.

Glad you are able to sit and type this(no head injury)...heal quick..sounds dumb now but be careful...

benb
02-05-2018, 07:32 AM
Best of luck with the healing!

Train/trolley tracks can be horrendous. I went down really hard same way in 2005 in the rain. A rider 100 yards ahead of me went down and so I’d slowed to 10mph and was being super cautious and still went down instantly as if I rode onto ice. We were both rashed up good but otherwise okay and were able to somehow have a laugh about it.

skouri1
02-05-2018, 08:33 AM
speedy recovery!
we have them in philadelphia, most commuters in west philadelphia I know have been taken out at some point or another. one broke his leg.
I wish they could just run more buses...

Pastashop
02-05-2018, 10:01 AM
More and more the infrastructure is failing, less and less thought goes into city planning, and worse and worse is driver attention. It seems like a fat bike covered in Xmas lights is the safest kind of bike to ride nowadays.

Things weren’t always crappy in the US or rosy in Denmark either:

https://www.triplepundit.com/special/business-of-biking/brief-history-cycling-denmark-netherlands/

pdonk
02-05-2018, 10:21 AM
I hate those things with a burning passion. In Toronto I easily crashed 3-4 times hitting those recessed streetcar tracks at a bad angle. When wet or icy you go down instantly if your weight isn't balanced. Especially at intersections where they turn 90* and you can't cross at a perpendicular angle, they're terrifying. Even worse, when they're covered in snow you don't see them till suddenly you're going sideways.

I've fallen twice due to them. Scariest part is wondering as you go down if a car is going to run you over.

I also had a friend fall, she broke her ankle and sued the city and TTC as the tracks were no longer part of the functioning network. She actually won.

tedbarbeau
02-05-2018, 10:54 AM
Ugh, sorry to hear that. I took a similar spill when I first graduated from college in Boston. My elbow was pretty beat up and I still have a small discoloration/scar on my hip which took the brunt of the fall. I didn't realize there were rubber inserts that could be added that prevent cyclists from falling in but don't affect the trolleys. What a great solution--here's hoping more cities implement them.

BikeNY
02-05-2018, 03:37 PM
Glad to hear you will make a full recovery. Those kind of crashes are scary. I was riding with a customer last summer in San Francisco when he went down. He was from Texas, where apparently they don't have those kind of tracks. Luckily he was going really slow, and luckily I didn't run him over! My front tire was literally touching his helmet when I came to a stop! I saw the tracks and was just about to yell to him, then bam, he was down. He had some bumps and bruises, but was otherwise OK.

Those rubber inserts sound interesting for sure.

kevinvc
02-05-2018, 04:56 PM
Sorry to hear the news and best wishes for a speedy and full recovery.

We have lots of those things down here in Portland as well, and they seem to take out riders of all skill levels on a regular basis. Last week, one of my co-workers had her second crash in the last couple of years, and she's a very experienced commuter. I have to cross 2 sets every day on my commute and I feel like it's pretty much inevitable at some point.

I've been riding balloon tires (Schwalbe Big Apple) the last few months for a variety of reasons, and street car tracks are one of the big ones. They definitely make a difference while crossing the tracks regardless of the angle. Fat tires aren't a reasonable option for everyone, but I'm glad I made the switch.

One thing that's really frustrating about the light rail / streetcar lines being built all over the US the last few years is that they really aren't intended to be the optimal transportation tool. They are more for urban development than anything and are quite effective as such. Moving a large number of people around is a lot cheaper and more efficient using buses, but they aren't as sexy, don't have as much federal matching fund availability, and don't spur development the way rail lines do.

jumphigher
02-06-2018, 06:17 PM
Sorry to hear about the crash OP, I’d be furious too!

93KgBike
02-07-2018, 09:36 AM
I don't understand the OP at all. You crashed on trolley tracks so that is the city's problem? Why don't you just ride a different route? The trolley serves millions of commuters per year and keeps all of their cars off of the roads you are riding on; your bike serves only you. That's the situation you should be aware of.

I do sincerely hope you feel better.

Kontact
02-07-2018, 12:34 PM
I don't understand the OP at all. You crashed on trolley tracks so that is the city's problem? Why don't you just ride a different route? The trolley serves millions of commuters per year and keeps all of their cars off of the roads you are riding on; your bike serves only you. That's the situation you should be aware of.

I do sincerely hope you feel better.

The tracks were unmarked, largely invisible and there were so many of them that they would be hard to avoid if riding in the traffic flow. If there was an open manhole on the sidewalk without any markings, the subsequent claims would sail right through court.

What planning tool should a casual cyclist have to use to avoid tracks, especially if he doesn't know they are hazard?

My destination was next to my crash. What would be the alternative route?

There is an alternative to open track - a rubber guard system.

The streetcars here do not carry millions - the street car programs in Seattle doesn't actually get much ridership and doesn't pay for itself. It is an expensive bus.

Zoodles
02-07-2018, 02:19 PM
What planning tool should a casual cyclist have to use to avoid tracks

Keep your head up and don't ride on the tracks???

We have them all over Toronto. We have fast group rides that use those roads np, my kids cross them...it's not hard to see as as far as potential hazards go.

Kontact
02-07-2018, 02:45 PM
Keep your head up and don't ride on the tracks???

We have them all over Toronto. We have fast group rides that use those roads np, my kids cross them...it's not hard to see as as far as potential hazards go.

And that's exactly what I thought after riding in and around them for the past 3 years. Until I had a crash which made me realize how even someone with excellent situational awareness, good vision and a decent idea of their locations can still be surprised by them when they merge into the traffic flow without signs, street markings or much contrast.

Yellow advisory signs exist because history has shown that reminders and attention getting bright markings effectively reduce the number of accidents. "Sharp curve ahead" signs work. I don't understand an argument that "Track - Hazard to bicycles" would not also work, and the absence of such a sign is also a danger.

Were you aware that 1/3 of Toronto's bike accidents are from the street car tracks?
https://www.citylab.com/transportation/2016/07/streetcar-tracks-bicycle-crashes-research-toronto/493157/

Bicycles have a couple of issues - we stay upright entirely by steering, we change direction by upsetting our balance through countersteering and we do not have the size to enforce our location on the road vs cars. All of this means that we actually don't have as much specific location control of the critical front wheel as is ideal, and when we lose steering control the crash is instantaneous. Riding within feet of tracks, even when you see them, presents an extremely high workload when you are also dealing with cars, pedestrians and debris.

It would be one thing if I moved to San Fransisco and started complaining about the trolley system there. But Seattle has only recently added streetcars, and the line that killed McCloud and tripped me up isn't 2 years old. The reason for its installation in a city with electric overhead bus lines is unclear, and appears to have more to do with aesthetics than necessary infrastructure. Because it is a recent choice, the city and SDOT should choose to install a modernized version for compatibility with the bicycle infrastructure they have embraced.