PDA

View Full Version : Resurrection Serotta Style

Too Tall
10-03-2006, 06:29 AM
Last eve. I was (eg meditating the meaning of our universe) cleaning shop and came across my Ti Legend. Recently picked clean to build the Vanilla and looking a little sad.

Thinking "hey the bike will be easier to keep safe if I just put some wheels on it" I put 'er in the stand, added a rear wheel...fork, h-bars / stem and front wheel. The bike already had a seatpost cast off. Dang, looks nice....hmmm I've got this "wrong" color saddle doing nothing that will make it easier to lean the bike against the wall...makes sense so let's get that on. (You can see where this is going?). Awwww fuggit, I'm fooling myself, let's just gather all the bits and build it!

This morning I rode the Ti Legend to work...ahhh. Nice bike :) Too nice to gather dust.

Savin' Serottas one at a time ;)

Kevan
10-03-2006, 07:47 AM
I'm new to this game of bicycle bits and pieces and my resurrection project isn't involving a Serotta (yet!). I've gotten terrific help from members here, and am having a blast putting an old bike together so I might join you blokes for next year's D2R2.

I was stupid not to think back in highschool or college to spend a summer working at a bike shop to learn the ropes.. er, chains. Well, it's time to make up for that lost education so I've enrolled myself in the DIY School of Bicycle Despair. My bicycle frame looks worried everytime I approach it.

In any case, it'll take a couple weeks before this rig is rolling and even then I suspect the project will never be complete. I can see a constant tweak-evolution beginning. I can see the frame being switched out at some point.

I've thanked my contributers for the parts they have offered, but I haven't thanked them for the fun that is ensuing. Thank you folks. Thank you for the fun.

Too Tall
10-03-2006, 08:12 AM
Cool beans Kev. what bike parts do you still lack??? Good for you, learning to maintain / build your rig is essential mental health too!

BTW - THANK YOU For being my "personal shopper" on your recent trip. LOVE the JBAY-style map holder...wooo woooo :)

chrisroph
10-03-2006, 09:52 AM
J--

You just can't have too many bikes. The serotta alsways feels good if you haven't been on it for a while.

Ginger
10-03-2006, 10:58 AM
Too "My beater bike is a Legend" Tall.
Sounds like a fun project.

Kevan,
I oft contemplated how much stuff people must have in their parts bins to throw together a bike...but I don't have to think too long to realize that I have a campy gruppo + wheels and stuff in the basement just waiting for some unsuspecting frame to come along. Rotate through a few bikes and suddenly you're "one of those people."

shoe
10-03-2006, 11:05 AM
tt - it's like going to visit an old friend right...i've been giving the kirk a few weeks off now that i built the fierte up as a single speed. it is a whole different animal than the kirk and a bit small for me but still holds its own. did 140 miler on it on saturday and it reminded me of swapping emails with znfdl after i did my first century last year and talking about double centuries and thinking he was crazy...now maybe double centuries aren't so crazy after all..i've had a good year of riding and enjoyed the people i have met and the things i have learned through the forum.....dave

Too Tall
10-03-2006, 12:42 PM
Yep, many of us have a rich parts department oh maybe for the lack of a bit here or there so much more is the fun hunting down inexpensive or free parts to finish a project :)

Dave, you TALK to that znfndl guy???? Dewd, he is BAissimo. Don't listen to him, look what it made you do already :cool:

93legendti
10-03-2006, 01:00 PM
I think I speak for the forum when I say: we need pics!!!

znfdl
10-03-2006, 03:09 PM
tt - it's like going to visit an old friend right...i've been giving the kirk a few weeks off now that i built the fierte up as a single speed. it is a whole different animal than the kirk and a bit small for me but still holds its own. did 140 miler on it on saturday and it reminded me of swapping emails with znfdl after i did my first century last year and talking about double centuries and thinking he was crazy...now maybe double centuries aren't so crazy after all..i've had a good year of riding and enjoyed the people i have met and the things i have learned through the forum.....dave

Dave welcome to the longer distance club. Glad that you are enjoying yourself. Do not listen to Too Tall, as I am not bad. ;)

Serotta PETE
10-03-2006, 03:52 PM
J--

You just can't have too many bikes. The serotta alsways feels good if you haven't been on it for a while.

Is your name SPOKES????

Serotta PETE
10-03-2006, 03:53 PM
Too "My beater bike is a Legend" Tall.
Sounds like a fun project.

Kevan,
I oft contemplated how much stuff people must have in their parts bins to throw together a bike...but I don't have to think too long to realize that I have a campy gruppo + wheels and stuff in the basement just waiting for some unsuspecting frame to come along. Rotate through a few bikes and suddenly you're "one of those people."

and you HAD some speed play pedals and campy crank that have now made it to the west bank............ :p I can use some more of that great red you gave me for my birthday......we can probably even get SPOKES to have some. PETE

Ginger
10-03-2006, 04:34 PM
Yes Pete...that was *after* I realized I was turning into "one of those people" and that I wasn't ever going to use those pedals or cranks...I'm glad they found a home with a friend! I still have several sets of carbon record 10 speed shifters I'm contemplating...

That Ramspeck cab is a nice wine. Stands up to food rather well. I might have another bottle squirreled about...Spoke says he'll meet me half way in Asheville...I'm still trying to figure out *that* math...
I suspect you wouldn't mind joining us?

Too Tall
10-03-2006, 07:27 PM
Fall colors :)
Decked out with spare bits from TTs lair :)
Off the Front cross handlebar tape
Daves Speed Dream wheels (Velocity Escape)
Conti. Comp 25s
Real f'in old Ultegra STI (one or two gears don't work so good)
Cast off Alpha Q Seatpost (someone hated how it looked...sheesh)
Saddle deemed way to glam for the Vanilla
Trusty ancient DA sq taper cranks + Phil BB that's been in more bikes than I can count
Mismatch bottle cages (sure to break any min.)
Orig. version of DA 8 spd r. mech. with newer pulleys for 9 spd.
Reworked Campy brakes...cast offs from znfndl...they are so corroded that after tons of work they still don't work so hot....not that I'm complaining ;)
Scrounged chain from my "chain pile" (doesn't everyone have that????)
Nice pedals (hey yah gotta have something good right?)

catulle
10-03-2006, 07:29 PM
I know you have that light just to piss-off the guy at the bicycle trail. :no:

Dekonick
10-03-2006, 08:32 PM
[Scrounged chain from my "chain pile" (doesn't everyone have that????)

Chain pile?!?

It looked more like a small mountain when I saw it...

Too Tall
10-04-2006, 07:42 AM
Thanks for noticing ;) As I was leaving my hood' for work this am a local walking with wife said "that's one he!! of a light you got there son" ;) ...as his eyeballs melted and ran down his shirt.

The chain pile is for a yet to be built "project" :) :)

Dekonick
10-04-2006, 08:01 AM
If you wanna borrow the ultrasonic cleaner holler - it will probably take a week of hourly changes to do all those chains but... :rolleyes:

Too Tall
10-04-2006, 08:35 AM
:) hehe...I've got a small crest cleaner unit...sweet. Nah, when it comes time I'll run the pile over to the local engine shop...they have BIG tools for that sheite'

93legendti
10-04-2006, 01:06 PM
Fall colors :)
Decked out with spare bits from TTs lair :)
Off the Front cross handlebar tape
Daves Speed Dream wheels (Velocity Escape)
Conti. Comp 25s
Real f'in old Ultegra STI (one or two gears don't work so good)
Cast off Alpha Q Seatpost (someone hated how it looked...sheesh)
Saddle deemed way to glam for the Vanilla
Trusty ancient DA sq taper cranks + Phil BB that's been in more bikes than I can count
Mismatch bottle cages (sure to break any min.)
Orig. version of DA 8 spd r. mech. with newer pulleys for 9 spd.
Reworked Campy brakes...cast offs from znfndl...they are so corroded that after tons of work they still don't work so hot....not that I'm complaining ;)
Scrounged chain from my "chain pile" (doesn't everyone have that????)
Nice pedals (hey yah gotta have something good right?)
Nice!

Too Tall
01-18-2007, 06:19 PM
Finally finished assembling the cut up SKS fenders using RiverCity Cycles brackets. Sweet setup and nice use for a really beat set of fenders. Huge thanks to ZNFNDL for my rear light Channukah present...dang that's a bright light pal ;)

saab2000
01-18-2007, 06:25 PM
This tall guy is serious and I can't wait to use his knowledge to get myself back into the swing o' things!!!

chrisroph
01-18-2007, 10:22 PM
Funny Josh my legend has been kind of just hanging forlorn and lonely. I stripped the stem for the sachs cross. But this week, I pulled a ritchey 13 out of my box and mounted it. I put on some new clean white cork ribbon and cleaned the chain. I took her out for 25 on Monday and boy she felt balanced and solid. I'm going to do some more riding and racing on that girl this year. These serottas are really exceptional bikes in a non-flashy way. They just kind of do anything you need or want them to do.

saab2000
01-18-2007, 10:34 PM
They just kind of do anything you need or want them to do.

Yup. Kinda like my CIII. Very good at everything and a better bike than the rider who sits on her every few days. The Serotta is not the limiting factor on my rides.

Too Tall
01-19-2007, 07:59 AM
INteresting comment C. I've been relishing a similar feeling. Thinking I was reaching way beyond the design of this bike (RAAM, Ultras etc.) by putting the AlphaQ-Z fork + lights + fenders + 25mm tyres but no! The bike is solid and infact rides as well as ever. I'll never part ways.

Fixed
01-19-2007, 08:50 AM
bro well it is a legend
sweet
cheers

znfdl
01-19-2007, 09:10 AM
did 140 miler on it on saturday and it reminded me of swapping emails with znfdl after i did my first century last year and talking about double centuries and thinking he was crazy...now maybe double centuries aren't so crazy after all..i've had a good year of riding and enjoyed the people i have met and the things i have learned through the forum.....dave

Thanks, sounds like your training is zinfully good :beer: (needs wineglasses)

ti_boi
01-19-2007, 09:14 AM
Bee-yoo-ti-ful castoff!

I just made my mom really happy.....Dad, "your mothers Raleigh handlebars are completely rusted....our LBS says it is impossible to get these parts (?)...." Me, " I have a set of perfect bars on the parts bike in my basement....."

Ah the joys of helping keep the classics on the road! :beer:

znfdl
01-19-2007, 09:15 AM
Finally finished assembling the cut up SKS fenders using RiverCity Cycles brackets. Sweet setup and nice use for a really beat set of fenders. Huge thanks to ZNFNDL for my rear light Channukah present...dang that's a bright light pal ;)

I had one of DC's finest actually roll down his window and comment on how bright the Dinotte taill ight shines. He said he wished all cyclist's were as visible as I was. I have the Dinotte tail light and the L&M ARC HID in the front.

TimD
01-19-2007, 10:34 AM
A Legend Ti (just my size, maybe?) hanging around in your basement with enough stuff to make it into a complete bike?

You are killing me...

Too Tall
01-19-2007, 11:53 AM
Killing you or is he "AI-worthy?"

72gmc
01-19-2007, 11:58 AM
Great save, TT. I like the fender kit and the little bit of rise in the front fender--an homage to those great motocrossers of the 70's, I reckon.

If you were a less formidable man I might even call it jaunty.

Climb01742
01-19-2007, 12:22 PM
too tall--you may be the most appropriately named forum member. BTW, the red touches make that bike sing. well done.

Kevan
01-19-2007, 12:26 PM
I thought I saw something familiar with the bicycle.

http://unclevl.frothersunite.com/CarWars/MM2OpeningChase.jpg