PDA

View Full Version : Smallest cannondale tandem?

Nooch
02-03-2018, 09:01 AM
What's the smallest tandem cannondale made? I ride a 52.5-53.5cm TT and want to try and find something that I can pilot and use as my kids get bigger.

Or in the interim, anyone happen to have a lead on a tandem trail-a-bike, now that my little one has interest and my big one isn't quite ready for life on two wheels?

GregL
02-03-2018, 09:18 AM
With growing kids, keep an eye out for a Co-Motion PeriScope. They have amazing adjustability.

Greg

nmrt
02-03-2018, 09:37 AM
This is what i have in a SMALL size:
https://co-motion.com/bikes/periscope-scout

It is great for growing kids. I think it can fit anyone from 4 ft 8 in to 5 ft 10 in. It is in good condition in a nice pearlescent white color. I bought it thinking I would use it but only went on one ride in the past year. I think it is a 2014-2015 model? But I am not sure if anything has changed since then. It has mechanical disc brakes, oversized HT -- it mostly looks like what you see in co-motions website.

would like $1690 net for it. Buyer would pay paypal fees and shipping. i think shipping would be cost prohibitive.

I am in Colorado, btw.

wombatspeed
02-03-2018, 10:47 AM
Get this Periscope. We have had one, set up with drop bars and road cranks, for many years. Kids started riding in the back at four years old ( after graduating from a kiddie crank equipped regular tandem that they started on at 2.5 years old). Kids are MTB racers now. Get them started early!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wombatspeed
02-03-2018, 10:48 AM
And shipping should not be that bad via bikeflights. And you can take two regular boxes to make a tandem box.

wombatspeed
02-03-2018, 10:50 AM
Last thing: for little kids get some shorter cranks (made). Ours started at 95mm, then 125mm, then 150mm. Davinci in Denver has some premade ones. I just used old square taper cranks and drilled and tapped them

Bostic
02-03-2018, 11:54 AM
The made in USA Cannondale Tandem in Medium/Small is what my wife and I have. It’s the smallest one they made. I’m 5’ 7” and ride a 52/53 frame with 53.5 to 54cm top tubes. I had to get a control tech adjustable stoker stem as the stock one was too short. We have had it six years now, one of our best investments.

IFRider
02-03-2018, 02:10 PM
With growing kids, keep an eye out for a Co-Motion PeriScope. They have amazing adjustability.

Greg

Really work well for kids. As mentioned, they adapt pretty well as kids grow and I rode with an adult no problem. We have two Periscope Torpedos (700c and nicer components). We will be getting rid of one come spring if you are in the New England area you are welcome to give a try if interested.

As meantioned, small kids benefit from shorter cranks (crank shorteners work fine). We tried them but my kids shot up before I got around to getting.

The Torpedo (700c) version can take a 32mm cross tire, making it work well for rail trail gravel as an FYI.

smead
02-03-2018, 07:31 PM
The made in USA Cannondale Tandem in Medium/Small is what my wife and I have. It’s the smallest one they made. I’m 5’ 7” and ride a 52/53 frame with 53.5 to 54cm top tubes. I had to get a control tech adjustable stoker stem as the stock one was too short. We have had it six years now, one of our best investments.

+1 on that. We ride the Large/Medium and a while back I picked up a second one in that smallest size (Medium/Small) just because it was such a great deal and these tandems rock. You see photos of it here -

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=166851

which shows it set up for me (5'10.5") and my stoker (5'1"). You can see that I was near the max limit for the captain, but someone around 5'7"ish riding a 53TT would fit like a glove. And the stoker ST and standover are super small - you can see my wife was rocking a good bit of post at 5'1".

Too bad you were not looking when I sold this one as it was a real peach!

Nooch
02-04-2018, 07:24 AM
Thanks for the responses guys, and yes, I'm in NNJ and a quick trip to all points New England, lol. Please keep me in mind when you start thinking about moving bikes!

I've always had a craving to get one of those last 2010 MUSA cannondale road tandems (the white/red one) with the big fork and disc brakes... don't know why -- just kinda does it for me, lol.

weisan
02-04-2018, 07:35 AM
I have a periscope torpedo . It does exactly what you envision.
It's a rare bird, can find hardly any for sale in the aftermarket.
At the price it was offered, it was a no brainer.