PDA

View Full Version : Cervelo Recall

EPOJoe
10-03-2006, 12:33 AM
OK, who was in charge of mixing the glue?!

http://www.federalnewsradio.com/index.php?nid=80&sid=670137

bironi
10-03-2006, 12:38 AM
I think they're being recalled because thery're too ugly. :beer:

sspielman
10-03-2006, 06:39 AM
Let's see...they subcontract ALL production to Asian factiories and then change factories with each production lot....and there was a problem with quality control?! I am shocked!!!

Marcusaurelius
10-03-2006, 08:24 AM
I lost interest in Cervelo when they stopped making their steel frames. I hvae never had much of a carbon fixation.

sjbraun
10-03-2006, 08:32 AM
I have a friend who has broken three Cervelos. He's not a huge guy and rides well.

aLexis
10-03-2006, 08:38 AM
We received a Trek Madone 5.2 a few months back that was not bonded at all at the down tube lug a few inches above the bb. Nothing, nada, no glue, maybe the Packers were on Monday Night Football and the guy wanted to go home early. Who knows?

That one alarmed me.

tch
10-03-2006, 09:39 AM
We received a Trek Madone 5.2 a few months back that was not bonded at all at the down tube lug a few inches above the bb. Nothing, nada, no glue, maybe the Packers were on Monday Night Football and the guy wanted to go home early. Who knows?
I thought Treks were monocoque frames, not lugged and bonded.

Tailwinds
10-03-2006, 09:43 AM

The Trek 5900/5200's were lugged and bonded...

catulle
10-03-2006, 09:53 AM
Is it true that they are exchanging the recalled bicycles for red bikes from Chester...? :eek:

aLexis
10-03-2006, 10:01 AM

They have changed the shape of the tubes and placement of the lugs in the Madones (vs the older 52/55/5900) but they aren't monocoque.

Fat Robert
10-03-2006, 10:04 AM
its like what was posted by tom k about frame supplies to pro teams -- the margin is so sick on cf that a company can live with a 15%+ failure rate. just warranty it....

Grant McLean
10-03-2006, 10:26 AM
My customers getting an R3 replacement aren't too unhappy.

g

obtuse
10-03-2006, 10:59 AM
My customers getting an R3 replacement aren't too unhappy.

g

word.

but are you happy swapping bikes and parts for your customers for what cervelo is giving you?

obtuse

Grant McLean
10-03-2006, 11:03 AM
word.

but are you happy swapping bikes and parts for your customers for what cervelo is giving you?

obtuse

It's a good opportunity to sell them something.

:)

g

catulle
10-03-2006, 11:13 AM
Hummm... How much are they paying for the broken frames...? :cool:

inGobwetrust
10-03-2006, 02:34 PM
Too bad they wouldn't do d*ck for me when my Super Prodigy broke just below the head-rube. I wouldn't touch another Cervelo unless it was free.

BumbleBeeDave
10-03-2006, 02:46 PM
. . . on this past weekend's century who has a year-old 5.2 Madone and I was inspecting it closely for just this reason. I had read that the Trek's are indeed glued together--not monocoque--and when I looked at his REAL closely I could see that indeed it was glued together. But the seams were matched so well and the carbon weave matched so closely that it was almost impossible to tell unless you got withing a few inches.

As for Cervelo and their recall . . . On the one hand I respect them for recalling the offending frames and owning up to a problem. On the other hand, though, I went to their website and it said . . . "Therefore, in cooperation with the U.S. CPSC, Cervélo Cycles is voluntarily recalling a limited number of 2005 model year R2.5 carbon bicycle frames."

I'd have a lot MORE respect for them if their "voluntarily" recall was on their own, NOT "in cooperation with" a government agency no doubt holding a club over their heads.

And Grant, I know this may sound catty, but I gotta ask . . . it may be a great excuse to sell your customers something, but if they need a new warranty frame because theirs separated while going down a hill at 40 mph and they can't use their new warranty frame until they get out oftheir wheelchair six months from now, then is it really worth it? . . . I don't think you meant it that way, though. :confused:

BBD

Grant McLean
10-03-2006, 03:00 PM
As for Cervelo and their recall . . . On the one hand I respect them for recalling the offending frames and owning up to a problem. On the other hand, though, I went to their website and it said . . . "Therefore, in cooperation with the U.S. CPSC, Cervélo Cycles is voluntarily recalling a limited number of 2005 model year R2.5 carbon bicycle frames."

I'd have a lot MORE respect for them if their "voluntarily" recall was on their own, NOT "in cooperation with" a government agency no doubt holding a club over their heads.

And Grant, I know this may sound catty, but I gotta ask . . . it may be a great excuse to sell your customers something, but if they need a new warranty frame because theirs separated while going down a hill at 40 mph and they can't use their new warranty frame until they get out oftheir wheelchair six months from now, then is it really worth it? . . . I don't think you meant it that way, though. :confused:

BBD

Every recall is done through the CPSC, it's standard procedure.
There are no reported injuries.

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/category/sports.html

If Serotta were warrenty replacing Ottrots with Mevici's,
I don't think the customer would be too upset if I suggested
they maybe get a new chain, or cables, that's all I meant.

g

BumbleBeeDave
10-03-2006, 03:03 PM
. . . thanks for the clarification!

BBD

Simon Q
10-03-2006, 08:10 PM
Cervelos are the bike of the moment becuase they are being ridden by the team of the moment, CSC and have some funky (read in my view ugly and soon to be old news) shapes. Of course they are very good bikes if you are a pro where half a tyre width mean big bucks but everyone I know that rides Soloists them says they are far from comfy. One of them has been very disappointed in that respect and is already planning his next frame. One just wonders whether the wonderkids from Toronto have come too far, too quickly and something has given way - quality control. Whichever way you want to couch it, a frame failure could mean I leave my family without a dad. On that basis I wouldn't touch them now with a barge pole.

feta99
10-04-2006, 02:55 AM
Does anyone know which factory the Cervelo's are made at? What other brands are made at the same factory in Taiwan?

How much more expensive can it be to manufacture bikes in North America?
Why are most Trek carbon frames cheaper than a Cervelo R3?