PDA

View Full Version : Transporting 4 bikes - Recommendation? (Still Kuat or Quik Rack for Hitch Rack?)

suzuki
02-02-2018, 03:16 PM
Hello. I found lots of positive feedback for Kuat and Quik Rack (or 1Up) hitch racks, and I am wondering whether that remains the case for transporting 4 bikes (2 adult road bikes and 2 kids mountain bikes). Any advice about transporting 4 bikes on these racks or alternatives (hitch or otherwise) would be appreciated. Cheers.

AngryScientist
02-02-2018, 03:17 PM
adult roadies on the roof.

kids mtbs on a cheap hanging hitch rack.

foo_fighter
02-02-2018, 04:00 PM
FWIW, I'm really happy with my Saris SuperClamp EX 4. It's the lightest tray/clamp 4 bike carrier.

srcarter
02-02-2018, 04:06 PM
We have loved our Kuat NV. I found it on CL after much looking (for about 3/4 of new price). It takes me about 15 minutes to install the rack, and 5 minutes to load/unload 4 bikes. It is super stable and easy to load.

My only complaints:

1. If using it with Children's bikes (wheels 24" or smaller), then an adapter was necessary (not true on a Kuat Transfer 2 or 3 bike rack). I found the adapters annoying to put on and off, so inhibited my desire to use the rack for 3-4 adult bikes as I didn't want to mess with the

2. It is heavy, so installing it goes more smoothly with 2 people. I can lift it fine, but can't see the hitch on our car when holding it, so it helps to have a second person to assist with guiding the rack into the hitch. (This is exacerbated by the hitch position).

djdj
02-02-2018, 04:19 PM
+1 for the Saris. It works with all styles, prevents bikes from hitting each other and can be attached, removed, and lowered and raised fully loaded, by one not-so-strong person.

I looked at the 1Up but was told candidly by the company -- this was a few years ago -- that it is likely too heavy to be lowered and lifted by one person when loaded. I wanted my wife to be able to do that if she were driving the SUV with the bikes and without me and needed to get into the rear hatch. She can do that with the Saris -- and she only weighs 115 pounds.

dbnm
02-02-2018, 04:26 PM
I just got this (for 2 bikes). It expands to 4 bikes.

It's super solid and built well.

https://www.thule.com/en-us/us/bike-rack/hitch-bike-racks/thule-t2-pro-xt-2---2-_-1691037

DRZRM
02-02-2018, 05:02 PM
Kaut is great. It only comes with 1 kid wheel adapter, but they will send you a second if you need it. I love mine.

suzuki
02-03-2018, 06:48 PM
Thank you all for the recommendations and advice. Based on the weight (or rather lack thereof), I am going to check out Saris for my wife's car as the long term (investment) solution (using hitch rack). Short term solution, I also found another helpful thread on the forum about internal bike carriers, so now I am thinking about transporting one bike inside my car and adding two more rockymounts up top for transporting three other bikes. Trunk rack would have been easiest and cheapest solution, but unfortunately not a viable option on my car. Thank goodness rockymount jetlines are cheaper (compared to Saris and Kuat). Cheers.

simplemind
02-03-2018, 07:11 PM
Nooope, still gonna recommend the 1up-USA (https://www.1up-usa.com/). 1, 2, 3, or 4 racks make it so versatile, well made, and USA manufactured.

joosttx
02-03-2018, 07:46 PM
I have a Kuat for about 4 years now. I have to say this Friday I took it off my car because it just looks worn out. I think there are more durable brands out there.

akelman
02-03-2018, 07:55 PM
I have a Kuat and a 1up. The Kuat is great, but the 1up is so much better in every way that I can think of that it's a bit silly.