PDA

View Full Version : Velo Hinge

cmbicycles
02-02-2018, 11:54 AM
Anyone here use/like the Feedback Sports velo hinge for multiple bikes?
We have a dozen kids bikes for our school, but the hallway where the PE teacher and I share space there is no place to store them without tripping over them. This seems like a good way to get them up off the floor and turn them sideways to be able to walk past them when stored. Do they lay fairly flat next to each other when used with multiple bikes? How far apart have people spaced them successfully. We have 10 x 20" kids bikes that Pello bikes donated to the school this year and I am looking into something so we don't trip over them. Open to other suggestions as well.
Thanks

paredown
02-02-2018, 02:02 PM
Anyone here use/like the Feedback Sports velo hinge for multiple bikes?
We have a dozen kids bikes for our school, but the hallway where the PE teacher and I share space there is no place to store them without tripping over them. This seems like a good way to get them up off the floor and turn them sideways to be able to walk past them when stored. Do they lay fairly flat next to each other when used with multiple bikes? How far apart have people spaced them successfully. We have 10 x 20" kids bikes that Pello bikes donated to the school this year and I am looking into something so we don't trip over them. Open to other suggestions as well.
Thanks
I've got a set in an alcove in a hall--works perfect for that situation, because there is not enough depth for them to hang straight out, so I can turn them into the wall slightly, so as not to impede traffic... My spacing was more or less set by the space--I could not squeeze in four, so I did some reasonable spacing with three. They're a nice well made product IMO.

cmbicycles
02-02-2018, 10:35 PM
What spacing did you use between the hangers?

Jaybee
02-05-2018, 09:43 AM
I used somewhat of the same concept (get the bikes at an angle) in my garage, but did a DIY version of the VeloGrip (http://velogrip.com/home/).

I modified the instructions here (http://www.texasmountainbiketrails.com/diy-bike-rack/) for my space.

I like that I don't have to worry about spacing the hangers - the straps slide up and down the rod as needed. Some of the bikes we don't use as often are really close together in the corner, and it saves a lot of space. The 2 or 3 that I ride the most are on the end that's easiest to reach, and I've got a shelf for the parts bins above it. All told, in an 8 ft by 3ft footprint, I've got 5 adult bikes, 3 kids bikes, a frame awaiting a build, 3 spare wheelsets, a closet hanger thingy that holds helmets and shoes, and all my spare parts.

I don't like that some of the heavier bikes (my wife's townie, mostly) are a pain to move in and out of the congested corner, and my long wheelbase 29er forced the hanging rod to be high enough that I need a stepladder to reach the parts shelf. I also could have done a better job on fit and finish, but I only had about half a day to execute the whole thing.

If you do end up using the velohinges, which look very nice, alternate up and down on the kids bikes and space the hangers at half the handlebar width plus a little extra.