PDA

View Full Version : OT and hopefully not argumentative - Dress Shirts

HenryA
02-02-2018, 09:48 AM
So, I have been wearing Brooks Brothers classic style dress shirts for a while. Lately though, the quality seems to have lessened. Thinner material and the wrinkle free feature seems to not last. I like them otherwise for fit and appearance. I refer to white (mostly), no-iron, regular collar with stays, regular fit shirts.

What shirts should I consider? It’s past time to buy more.

AngryScientist
02-02-2018, 10:04 AM
i'm a TM Lewin man now.

wait for a sale. the shirts are good and fit me well.

i have zero patience to shop at stores any more these days. waste of my time.

i know my fit now and once a year or so i order a bunch of shirts when a sale comes up and toss a few of the older ones.

coffeecake
02-02-2018, 10:06 AM
J. Crew. Wait for a sale and you can get some nice stuff for silly cheap.

54ny77
02-02-2018, 10:08 AM
i have all wrinkle free shirts and they all get dry cleaned. for the life of me i can't wash and dry them without looking like pig pen, and there's no way my wife or i am ironing shirts. i did that for years when i was first starting out in the work world, however. including spraying on starch, nice & crisp & perfect creases (i got good at it). hey, 20 bucks saved each week or so meant more beer!

that aside, the premium line from jos bank are nice. better than brooks brothers non-iron, in my opinion. and cheaper, esp. if you can get 'em on sale. brooks bros. non-iron has indeed gone downhill in quality from when i first started wearing them...in what is now a long time ago....

echelon_john
02-02-2018, 10:13 AM
Tyrwhitt are great for the price; decent fabrics, good patterns, hold up pretty well under pressing/starching.

They usually have a 3 for $99 deal which is tough to beat.

When I wore dress shirts more I wore Turnbull & Asser, Pink & other more expensive shirts; they (especially T&A) were definitely a step above the Tyrwhitt shirts, but not enough to justify the 5-8x cost per shirt for me.

Like Angry, I just refresh once or twice per year and rotate them to save the newest for when I care about what shirt I'm wearing... : )

Edit: URL for 3/$99 is ctshirts.com/save

unterhausen
02-02-2018, 10:19 AM
this is a good question, OP, thanks for asking. I have exactly one shirt that I like and a batch that I will wear when I have to. As an engineer, that's usually ok. But I need to go shopping for shirts.

bart998
02-02-2018, 10:22 AM
I usually get my shirts at Nordstrom. The quality is always good and I can usually find a sale.

jb_11
02-02-2018, 10:24 AM
i have all wrinkle free shirts and they all get dry cleaned. for the life of me i can't wash and dry them without looking like pig pen.

that said, the premium line from jos bank are nice. better than brooks brothers non-iron, in my opinion. and cheaper, esp. if you can get 'em on sale. brooks bros. non-iron has indeed gone downhill in quality from when i first started wearing them...in what is now a long time ago....

+1 on Jos A Banks. Sales a plentiful, so you can usually find stuff at a decent price.

RobJ
02-02-2018, 10:29 AM
Tyrwhitt are great for the price; decent fabrics, good patterns, hold up pretty well under pressing/starching.

They usually have a 3 for $99 deal which is tough to beat.

When I wore dress shirts more I wore Turnbull & Asser, Pink & other more expensive shirts; they (especially T&A) were definitely a step above the Tyrwhitt shirts, but not enough to justify the 5-8x cost per shirt for me.

Like Angry, I just refresh once or twice per year and rotate them to save the newest for when I care about what shirt I'm wearing... : )

+1 on Tyrwhitt. I have been ordering their shirts for some time and never had an issue. They do offer ranges of fabrics within their pricing structure and you can always find a "3 for" deal. A lot of sizing options and fits. They have a store in downtown, but it's just as easy to order online. My brother in law has ordered their suits and nothing but good things to say (and he's picky). I used to do the Nordstrom and Brooks too, but see no reason now.

HenryA
02-02-2018, 10:36 AM
Yes, I buy batches as well. Six shirts each washed twenty times gets me about six months before they look not so presentable. When I have to touch up iron its time for new ones. I’m past that now, so I’m ironing a little. I drive right past a good cleaner when I go to town but its kinda just one more thing to remember or forget.

Keep the suggestions coming.

Davist
02-02-2018, 10:37 AM
I've been happy with both TM Levin and Tyrwhitt. Can get for around $30 if you're patient. I haven't bothered with Brooks in a while, they seem to be on a quality decline for some time now, after their non iron being the gold standard, too bad. Are these GB guys the "Ribble" and "Chain Reaction" of shirts? hmmm...

AngryScientist
02-02-2018, 10:39 AM
i should add that i dont launder any of my own dress clothes. they all go to the cleaner to be washed/pressed.

NYCfixie
02-02-2018, 11:02 AM
So, I have been wearing Brooks Brothers classic style dress shirts for a while. Lately though, the quality seems to have lessened. Thinner material and the wrinkle free feature seems to not last....

Life long Brooks Brother shirt wearer (at least 30).

The quality did go down for a few years when they were owned by some Canadian conglomerate (no offense meant towards Canadians) but this should not be a problem anymore.

I never had problems with them for the 10 years I was in NYC and 10 more in NJ as a working professional. A new cleaners in Boston started ruining them very quickly. Yellow/Brown spots, stiff collars without using starch. They paid me for a few of them and finally put out a notice to all customers that they would not be responsible for them anymore. Me being me, that was not ok. The Boston cleaners talked to some industry group and I begged them to call my NYC and NJ cleaners. The finally figured out that they were washing them in too hot water and their press machines were running to hot. The problem was they refused to change because it would them affect all the other less expensive non-iron type shirts that people brought them to have laundered.

When this cleaner started ruining my "must-iron" non-treated shirts I just found another local cleaner. So, in my experience it was the cleaner that was ruining them and making them wear out more quickly and not because the shirts were any less great than they had always been.

With that said, treated non-iron shirts will not last as long as non-treated must-iron shirts. If you treat a fabric with formaldehyde (they all do) to mmke it non-iron, it will negatively affect the wear and life of the material. I have some must-iron shirts that have lasted more than 10 years and most non-iron do not last that long - usually because the collars become too stiff and it irritates me.

...i have all wrinkle free shirts and they all get dry cleaned. for the life of me i can't wash and dry them without looking like pig pen, and there's no way my wife or i am ironing shirts.....

Since I am now, by choice, an unemployed graduate student in my mid 40s, I need to economize. Thankfully my apartment has one of those terrible vent-less dryers that never actually gets your clothes fully dry. The upside is that I can follow the directions for non-iron shirts which is to take them out of the dryer before they fully dry and hang them. It actually works well when done correctly. I could never do that when we were in our house with a dryer that actually worked. The one caveat is that I still send my must-iron shirts out to the laundry/cleaners.

CDollarsign
02-02-2018, 11:22 AM
I was a Brooks Brothers man but recently ordered some Supima cotton shirts from Lands End and I don't think I will be going back...

FWIW Lands End seems to have more sizes for longer people than LL Bean (I much prefer the looks of LL Bean over Lands End).

54ny77
02-02-2018, 11:35 AM
Funny story re: proper way to wash non-iron dress shirts. My father, RIP, was skilled in the art of laundry. A former Marine, he was "that guy" who ironed his t-shirts. :banana:

I had a biz trip years ago that allowed me to stay with him for several days, and I needed to wash a couple dress shirts since I didn't have enough to carry me for every work day. Despite my attempting to explain what a non-iron Brooks Brothers dress shirt was (since he last had on a suit a few decades prior!), he said, basically, give 'em to him and get the hell out of the way.

He proceeded to wash the shirts using his top secret water temp and cleaning/agitation level in the washer, briefly used the dryer then hung 'em basement laundry room, shaking & pulling the shirts in certain ways while they dried over the course of a few hours or so.

And I'll be damned if those shirts didn't come out as crisp and wrinkle-free as when they came from the dry cleaners.

Makes me smile thinking about that trip. Thanks for the memory jog.

Thankfully my apartment has one of those terrible vent-less dryers that never actually gets your clothes fully dry. The upside is that I can follow the directions for non-iron shirts which is to take them out of the dryer before they fully dry and hang them. It actually works well when done correctly. I could never do that when we were in our house with a dryer that actually worked. The one caveat is that I still send my must-iron shirts out to the laundry/cleaners.

azrider
02-02-2018, 11:44 AM
I am in a business shirt everyday. If traveling, no tie, slacks, and blue blazer with dress shirt is standard. In order I prefer: Hugo Boss, Calibrate, Nordstrom, and Kenneth Cole Reaction. All have 'slim' fit options.

However.

While on a business trip a few years back I had the misfortune of a server spilling some juevos rancheros on me at breakfast. The only store that was open was a Target across the street. I got a Merona brand button down and I'll be damned if it hasn't stood the test of time and is still in rotation today. Great shirt for fraction of most other 'nice' shirts. I still laugh when it pops up.

Ken Robb
02-02-2018, 11:45 AM
I've never been disappointed by anything I bought at Land's End. Sign up for their email notifications and get discount offers of 30-50% almost every day and usually free shipping on orders of $50+. They offer several different "cuts" in most dress and sport shirts. I bought a Squall jacket fro my bro-in-law for Xmas because I like mine so much. He wanted a bigger size for layering so I took it to my local Sears store for a no-questions-asked exchange.

On the no-iron discussion: many years ago I sold men's wear when no-iron was a new idea. We had to advise people to wear their just washed/dried shirts for at least few minutes before giving up because body heat would remove any remaining wrinkles. We also had to warn them against drying at high heat. In fact, these were originally referred to as "Drip-Dry" shirts with the best results coming when the shirts were hung on hangers dripping wet. The other caveat was that one trip to a commercial laundry and their HOT dryers and the resins that provided no-iron performance would be burned off and gone forever.

christian
02-02-2018, 11:47 AM
Kamakura.

rwsaunders
02-02-2018, 12:23 PM
I've had good luck with JoS. A. Bank shirts over the years and they make a trim fit and they have specific neck and sleeve dimensions, as I need a 35 sleeve and not a 34/35 sleeve. Just watch the clearance center online as most of the shirts range from $20-40.

https://www.josbank.com/clearance-shirt#facet::&productBeginIndex::0&orderBy::3&pageView::grid&minPrice::&maxPrice::&pageSize::12&curPage::1&positionY::128&edgeCaseFacets::size,color-pattern,price,fit,collections

ripvanrando
02-02-2018, 12:40 PM
Was a Brooks Brothers guy for a long time but the quality fell off the cliff. I wear Banks or Nordstroms shirts-they are good enough but I can't say I'm delighted with them.

SpokeValley
02-02-2018, 12:44 PM
I've had good luck with JoS. A. Bank shirts over the years and they make a trim fit and they have specific neck and sleeve dimensions, as I need a 35 sleeve and not a 34/35 sleeve. Just watch the clearance center online as most of the shirts range from $20-40.

https://www.josbank.com/clearance-shirt#facet::&productBeginIndex::0&orderBy::3&pageView::grid&minPrice::&maxPrice::&pageSize::12&curPage::1&positionY::128&edgeCaseFacets::size,color-pattern,price,fit,collections

This^^

I've been wearing these for years. They look great, fit well, travel well, and I buy them when their on sale.

NYCfixie
02-02-2018, 02:19 PM
On the no-iron discussion: many years ago I sold men's wear when no-iron was a new idea. We had to advise people to wear their just washed/dried shirts for at least few minutes before giving up because body heat would remove any remaining wrinkles. We also had to warn them against drying at high heat. In fact, these were originally referred to as "Drip-Dry" shirts with the best results coming when the shirts were hung on hangers dripping wet. The other caveat was that one trip to a commercial laundry and their HOT dryers and the resins that provided no-iron performance would be burned off and gone forever.

^ This explains so much about non-iron and how to deal with it.

My biggest issue is that if I wear treated non-iron shirts too many days in a row they irritate my neck so I always keep a few non-treated must-irons in rotation. Also, with everyone now wearing non-irons, my must-irons comparatively look terrible by the end of the day.

Can we go back to the days before non-iron shirts when chemicals were not that close to your skin, the local laundry knew how to wash and press dress shirts, it was assumed that you had wrinkles by the end of the day, and you would change shirts before going out for night events?

Tall
02-02-2018, 02:23 PM
+1 on Tyrwhitt. I have been ordering their shirts for some time and never had an issue. They do offer ranges of fabrics within their pricing structure and you can always find a "3 for" deal. A lot of sizing options and fits.
+2. I'm 6'6", fairly skinny, with long arms -- Tyrwhitt has me covered.

jlwdm
02-02-2018, 02:28 PM
High end bikes mean high end white shirts.

100% cotton
No non-iron shirts
Made it Italy preferred

Once in a while can get Mattabisch at a decent price on eBay.
Eidos
Sweden: Eton
Some of the Armani, but not all.

No Brooks Brothers
Not Jos A Banks
No Nordstrom

Jeff

Likes2ridefar
02-02-2018, 03:24 PM
When in corporate HQ mode I wear “the tie bar” white shirts wrinkle free. They are great quality but it seems like they may cost more than a few options listed here.

echappist
02-02-2018, 03:38 PM
Personally I go with Tyrwhitt, as they have the right fit for me. I actually don't need to wear dress shirts, but I prefer them.

I have only three colors I wear: white, pink, and blue, and I prefer to be irreverent when wearing the latter two colors: bold checks, ginghams, houndstouth, Prince of Wales, etc. Tyrwhitt got the bold pattern in pink and blue covered pretty well. They've also held up exceedingly well: I'm wearing a blue gingham shirt I bought five years ago as I type, and the shirt still looks like new. Only caveat is that return is a PITA. I basically let the shirts line-dry, and they are wrinkle free. Tyrwhitt also has regular fit for what the OP is looking for.

My sole Brooks dress shirt at the moment is a disappointment, OTOH. Thin material, and usually a higher price. $50 is about $20 too much...

That said, I like my Brooks tweed three piece suits

Also forgot to add, there's J Press if the OP is into the Oxford Collar Button Down. All made in the U.S.A. Speaking of which, they are running a sale on tweed sportcoats. Really want one but can't justify it after having spent money on the aforementioned tweed three piece.

sparky33
02-02-2018, 03:43 PM
Jack Spade, quality slim fit shirts

54ny77
02-02-2018, 04:08 PM
VERY important point you made there sir.

Those of us who are weekend warrior freds on nice bikes with "comfortable" midsections often CAN NOT fit many dress shirts sold online or by many manufacturers. And it's tough to find an off the rack shirt that doesn't make you look either like wearing a parachute or a stuffed sausage.

For the fancier moments at work when I really have to look like I know what I'm talking about, I'll bust out the custom threads. That's when there's as much leeway in fit & cut as your wallet desires. You can have shirts made if you're predominantly on your feet upright talking and schmoozing, or hunched over slaving away in quiet misery at a desk, surfing paceline forum instead of laboring at yet another spreadsheet or contract...;)

Jack Spade, quality slim fit shirts

snah
02-02-2018, 10:34 PM
I’ve had really good luck with Costco dress shirts.

paredown
02-03-2018, 10:20 AM

I was going to say the same--they are spec'd and produced by the same supplier that does the Nordstrom house branded--same buttons and finishing too.

CaptStash
02-03-2018, 10:22 AM
VERY important point you made there sir.

For the fancier moments at work when I really have to look like I know what I'm talking about, I'll bust out the custom threads...

I read through the whole thread wondering if anyone else wore custom threads. I rarely need to wear a suit (usually just testifying in court, weddings and funerals), but am hard to fit since I appear to have been constructed of spare parts: short torso, gorilla long arms and thicker than you'd think neck. Several years ago I had a bunch of shirts made when I was in Singapore. They have stood the test of time, and it's been easy to order more from the same tailor. I am very curious about the new online services that use a photo to make your shirt. That's my plan for next time. Has anybody tried one of them?

CaptStash....

dan_hudson
02-03-2018, 04:12 PM
If you live in or travel to a city where they pass through on their USA fitting tours, might consider Ascot Chang. Had the chance to get fitted while in Hong Kong a few years. Don't wear one enough to get custom suit but having a custom shirt that really fits is nice. Not too much more expensive than an off the rack nice shirt at Nordstrom et al (at least when I purchased in Hong Kong).

Once fitted (any where in the world) they keep your info on-file if you want a new shirt.

https://www.ascotchang.com/en/home

NYCfixie
02-03-2018, 07:06 PM
I read through the whole thread wondering if anyone else wore custom threads. I rarely need to wear a suit (usually just testifying in court, weddings and funerals), but am hard to fit since I appear to have been constructed of spare parts: short torso, gorilla long arms and thicker than you'd think neck. Several years ago I had a bunch of shirts made when I was in Singapore. They have stood the test of time, and it's been easy to order more from the same tailor. I am very curious about the new online services that use a photo to make your shirt. That's my plan for next time. Has anybody tried one of them?

CaptStash....

We must be brothers of a different mother....

I am long torso, elf short arms, and a thicker than you'd think neck. I can usually find Brooks stuff in my size fairly easy.

A few people said Tyrwhitt was a good choice but returns can be a PITA. Why?

DRZRM
02-06-2018, 12:22 PM
I have (or have had) a handful of very nice slim fitting shirts (Brunello Cucinelli, Borrelli, Ralph Lauren Purple Label, Thom Browne) as well as some of the more affordable ones (Tyrwitt, Thomas Pink) but in the last few years I more and more grab the exact same white or blue Brooks Brothers button down collar shirt. Mostly because I found the one that fits me perfectly, so no need for custom, or rolling the dice on various shirts that change fit season to season (yes I'm talking to you Armani white shirts).

The thing about Brooks Brothers is that they make so many different levels/qualities of shirts, from quite high end, to total crap for the outlet stores. But I now basically live in their blue or white extra slim fit button downs, the ones that retail for $92, but are 4 for $199 two or three times a year, this one (http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Non-Iron-Milano-Fit-Button-Down-Collar-Dress-Shirt/612Q,default,pd.html?dwvar_612Q_Color=LTBL&contentpos=11).

To wash, I scrub the collars, ends of sleeves, and any stains with a mixture of some Oxi-Clean powder with Shout/detergent. I wash shirts together in a separate load, warm but delicate, snap them out and hang to dry. Quick touchup with iron or steamer if necessary. I get many years out of them, and they are always the same when I need to buy a few new ones.

Tony Edwards
02-06-2018, 12:43 PM

Those are the one Kirkland item I've ever bought that I was really not happy with. To me they just feel and look cheap. To each his own, though.

BikeNY
02-06-2018, 12:57 PM
No love for wool???

Wool dress shirts have come a long way, and they are WAY easier to care for than their cotton counterparts.

I'm an engineer, and wear dress shirts for about 3/4 of the year. I have mostly casual dress shirts, so no tie. lots of plaids and patterns, but also some solid ones that can be work with a tie.

The nicest ones are from Wool & Prince. They are expensive, but the fit, material, and wrinkle resistance are great. Most are 100% Merino wool. Keep checking their 'Retiring' section for some discounts.

I also have 2 shirts from Smartwool. They only made them briefly many years ago. They are 70% merino and great fit, quality, and wrinkle resistance. They are actually a finer weave than the W&P.

Lastly, a have a number of shirts from Icebreaker. They have a number of different styles, some 100% merino, and some blends. I have the Compass and Departure I think. Also great shirts. The fit and wrinkle resistance is not as good as the others depending on the style. These have changed over the years, and you can find great deals on them sometimes on Amazon and Ebay.

I have probably 15 shirts in my rotation and alternate between all of the above. I usually wear an undershirt, and can then wear them many times before they need any laundering. In fact many of them have never been cleaned! I just hang them back up at the end of the day, and they are ready to go in the next rotation. That may sound nasty to some, but it's really no problem for a wool shirt. They don't hold any odors and wrinkles naturally just disappear. For instance, I'll be at work all day with my shirt tucked in, and then meet my wife for dinner and untuck the shirt when I leave, and 10 minutes later the lower portion looks perfect again. Try that with a cotton shirt! Also make great travel shirts for the same reasons! I think one of the founders of W&P wore one of their shirts for 100 days straight without an issue.

They may be expensive up front, but the lack of required dry cleaning quickly results in lots of money saved! Give them a try!

And no, I don't work for any of them, just a happy customer!

tuscanyswe
02-06-2018, 01:29 PM
Shameless plug for my brothers brand.
They make nice stuff!

https://adaysmarch.com/

Prices dont seem vat corrected for outside eu delivery (will have to ask him to fix that so potentially 20% off the listed prices)

NYCfixie
02-06-2018, 01:59 PM
The thing about Brooks Brothers is that they make so many different levels/qualities of shirts, from quite high end, to total crap for the outlet stores.

You are correct; it is quite stupid of them.
I can't speak to the outlet crap but it is just crap from what I have heard.

Online or in the stores you have:

Must-iron American Supima cotton - made in Asia ($69.50)
Non-iron American Supima cotton - made in Asia ($92 - which is what most get)
Non-iron American Supima cotton Royal Oxford dress shirt - made in Asia ($120)
Must-iron American Supima cotton, fabric made in Asia - shirt made in USA, Original Polo with mother of pearl buttons ($140)
Must-iron Egyptian cotton woven in Italy - made in USA ($185)
Golden Fleece Must-iron Sea Island cotton Made in the USA from imported materials - ($298)

I have some of the must-iron made in Asia supima cotton that have lasted for many years. So old that they are the previous sizes which were based in reality before even brooks started lying about sizing to make people feel better about themselves (my older 17.5 x 34 is equal to a current 17 x 33).

I have some of the non-iron made in Asia supima cotton which last a few years assuming the cleaners do not ruin them first. Now I am going to just wash and hang these at home now that I know how to deal with them correctly.

I have one white and one blue must-iron Egyptian cotton, woven in Italy, made in USA button downs. I got them on a crazy sale last year and they are truly so much nicer than the others. The fabric feels amazing.

echappist
02-06-2018, 03:23 PM
No love for wool???

Cotton, unlike wool, doesnt seem to attract the attention of cloth moths and carpet beetles.

Even with an undershirt, perspiration will get on the dress shirt, and body oil/sweat really draw out the critters

JWDR
02-06-2018, 05:38 PM
MTM shirts cost me little more than the off the rack big names and look much better. The ability to have the collar, pocket, cuffs and other stuff the way I like is well worth the slight up charge.

josephr
02-06-2018, 06:26 PM
I've worn dress shirts like maybe 5 times in the past couple of years....have several suits that don't get worn...my ties are out of date too. :banana:

Ken Robb
02-06-2018, 09:12 PM
Those are the one Kirkland item I've ever bought that I was really not happy with. To me they just feel and look cheap. To each his own, though.
What shirts do you usually wear? I'm trying to get an idea of your standard of comparison.

verticaldoug
02-07-2018, 02:08 AM
My go to shirt maker is Budd Shirts at 3 Piccadilly in London.

It's a fun little shop and highly recommend a visit when any of you are in London.

http://online.flipbuilder.com/xrwh/tmmi/mobile/index.html#p=1

(the look book )

http://www.buddshirts.co.uk/budd-shirts
You don't need Bespoke, their readywear are great.

And pick up some pajamas while you are there.

Louis
02-07-2018, 02:29 AM
Do any truly serious shirt aficionados wear no-iron fabric shirts?

I don't have anything that would be considered high-end no-iron (assuming there is such a thing) but the hand feel on the ones I do have is pretty bad, and unless the more expensive ones are way, way better, I don't think I'd bother to spend much on anything that's no-iron.

19wisconsin64
02-07-2018, 03:10 AM
well, i'll say it if no one else will....

...i've been buying Rapha dress shirts for a few years now. on sale. great quality.

very unique details, and the shirts fit me well. you won't ever mistake these for regular dress shirts because of the quirks-hidden pockets, extra hidden buttons, a zipper or rear pocket where you'd never expect one.

if nothing else they serve to remind me that i'm a cyclist even when off the bike.

Bentley
02-07-2018, 07:51 AM
If you are buying "pre-made" then I do not think you will find better than either of these. Hugo Boss are good, but the quality won't hold up to either. I would suggest for just a little more, Tom James is the go to. My biggest suggestion is how many shirts do you have in the rotation. Most folks I know, rotate 5 to 7, which means they get washed weekly. I rotate about 20 dress shirts which puts me about once a month. Wearing a shirt, unless you are very sweaty is not that hard on the fabric, it is the laundering that kills them. Also, T-Shirts are kind of a must.

Ray

CDollarsign
02-07-2018, 07:59 AM
I got a Tom James Executive custom suit made for me for college graduation that I still wear to this day. Excellent quality.

Tony Edwards
02-07-2018, 08:09 AM
What shirts do you usually wear? I'm trying to get an idea of your standard of comparison.

Mostly Nordstrom, and sometimes Brooks Brothers. I know another poster said the Kirkland shirts are made by the same people as Nordstrom's, but if that's true they are not using comparable material, nor does the construction seem to be similar in quality. I have actually bought Kirkland shirts twice, hoping that things had gotten better, and was disappointed both times.

Ken Robb
02-07-2018, 09:08 AM
Mostly Nordstrom, and sometimes Brooks Brothers. I know another poster said the Kirkland shirts are made by the same people as Nordstrom's, but if that's true they are not using comparable material, nor does the construction seem to be similar in quality. I have actually bought Kirkland shirts twice, hoping that things had gotten better, and was disappointed both times.

I haven't bought any COSTCO dress shirts but I have been happy with many of their woven and knit sport shirts. Something to remember: you can return anything your are not totally happy with to COSTCO with no hassle even after wearing washing items of clothing.

Clancy
02-07-2018, 10:02 AM
Surprised no one has mentioned...

LL Bean

Been using their dress shirts for years, simply great. 100% cotton and as long as I pull ‘em right from the dryer, no ironing. Wearing one right now as I sit during a rather boring professional development

tedbarbeau
02-07-2018, 10:34 AM
I was gifted a Proper Cloth gift card recently and fell in love. They are made-to-measure (then cut & sewn in China, so the price is still relatively low) so the fit is perfect. They actually let you input measurements from your favorite shirt to get the fit correct.

Obviously people will have thoughts & feelings on products made in China but as someone who has spent their entire life hating having disproportionate arm length, an affordable custom shirt has been a god-send.

My buddy also started/runs Taylor Stitch here in San Francisco. My gargantuan arms means their off-the-rack stuff doesn't fit, but if it did I'd have a closet full of their stuff.

NYCfixie
02-07-2018, 10:41 AM
I was gifted a Proper Cloth gift card recently and fell in love. They are made-to-measure (then cut & sewn in China, so the price is still relatively low) so the fit is perfect. They actually let you input measurements from your favorite shirt to get the fit correct.

Obviously people will have thoughts & feelings on products made in China but as someone who has spent their entire life hating having disproportionate arm length, an affordable custom shirt has been a god-send.

My buddy also started/runs Taylor Stitch here in San Francisco. My gargantuan arms means their off-the-rack stuff doesn't fit, but if it did I'd have a closet full of their stuff.

I thought they were manufactured in NJ. Did something change? Am I confusing them with another custom shirt maker?

tylercheung
02-07-2018, 11:02 AM
Being in California, I've gotten away w/ button downs and oxfords. For that, Everlane is by far the way to go...have used Tyrwhitt and Bonobos in the past.

Louis
02-07-2018, 03:47 PM
well, i'll say it if no one else will....

...i've been buying Rapha dress shirts for a few years now. on sale. great quality.

very unique details, and the shirts fit me well. you won't ever mistake these for regular dress shirts because of the quirks-hidden pockets, extra hidden buttons, a zipper or rear pocket where you'd never expect one.

I now see what truly inspired the movie "The Phantom Thread."

HenryA
04-14-2018, 03:22 PM
So...

I tried Tyrwhitt and got no joy. Shirts seemed kinda cheap, smallish and I have not gotten all my credit back from the return. Definitely do not recommend the experience.

I’ll try Brooks Brothers again and see if they can do any better.

MattTuck
04-14-2018, 03:51 PM
So...

I tried Tyrwhitt and got no joy. Shirts seemed kinda cheap, smallish and I have not gotten all my credit back from the return. Definitely do not recommend the experience.

I’ll try Brooks Brothers again and see if they can do any better.

aren't the Tyrwhitt shirts between 25-33 bucks if you buy them with a promotion?

If you are comparing those to Brooks Bros shirts at 2 or 3 times the price, I don't think that is fair. However, being slow with returns, and generally not having good customer service... those are unforgivable.

RFC
04-14-2018, 07:05 PM
I've had very good luck with Lands End 100% cotton permanent press. I think they are guaranteed for 50 washes. The trick is to wash and dry them separate from other wash and then get them out of the dryer and on hangers as soon as they are done.l

echappist
04-14-2018, 08:21 PM
aren't the Tyrwhitt shirts between 25-33 bucks if you buy them with a promotion?

If you are comparing those to Brooks Bros shirts at 2 or 3 times the price, I don't think that is fair. However, being slow with returns, and generally not having good customer service... those are unforgivable.

I personally prefer my Tyrwhitt shirts to my Brooks shirts. One can't get a Brooks dress shirt for less than $40 these days, and that $40 doesn't buy a whole lot... It certainly isn't better than the $33 shirts from Tyrwhitt.

tylercheung
04-14-2018, 09:08 PM
My Tyrwhits disintegrated after about 9 mos to a year.

My Everlanes are better in terms of fit, styling, and fabric, and are indestructible.