PDA

View Full Version : Rapha shades?

madsciencenow
02-02-2018, 09:19 AM
I’ve seen this topic mentioned but not a thread so I figured I’d start one (if there already is one please redirect me). Specifically what I’m interested in is folks who have the Rapha Pro team flyweight glasses. I own a couple pairs of Oakley’s and a pair of the Smith pivlocks. The Oakley prism lenses are hard to beat but the pair I currently have is partially broken so I’m thinking about what’s next and with the sales Rapha has had the aforementioned are attractive. Thoughts on durability, optical quality for road riding, and comparison with Oakley is of interest to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gospastic
02-02-2018, 09:25 AM
They are not very durable. I know multiple people who have broken them multiple times, even when changing out lenses with care. The newer Arenberg glasses are much more durable.

huck*this
02-02-2018, 12:44 PM
I have had a pair for about 3mo and love them! They just work. great optics and I forget that I am wearing them. They are stupid light and really stay in place. No issues here to speak of.

FlashUNC
02-02-2018, 01:02 PM
Rudy Project fan myself. The Rapha ones do look trick though.

pgrizzwald
02-02-2018, 01:24 PM
I have had a pair for about 3mo and love them! They just work. great optics and I forget that I am wearing them. They are stupid light and really stay in place. No issues here to speak of.

I also have a pair and 2nd what's mentioned above. So much lighter than my Oakley Jawbreakers and nearly as much coverage.

madsciencenow
02-02-2018, 02:28 PM
Durability is for sure a concern. Is Rapha standing behind the product?

They are not very durable. I know multiple people who have broken them multiple times, even when changing out lenses with care. The newer Arenberg glasses are much more durable.

Does the frame get in the way on the Arenberg? I know on my Oakley’s (radar something or other) they do (can’t see well in drops) and I’m using the kask mojito helmet which also doesn’t play well with these shades.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

berserk87
02-02-2018, 07:32 PM
I don't know about the shades, but I hear that Rapha is now offering a scholarship in your name for college-bound children of employees.

Lovetoclimb
02-02-2018, 08:11 PM
Durability is for sure a concern. Is Rapha standing behind the product?

Does the frame get in the way on the Arenberg? I know on my Oakley’s (radar something or other) they do (can’t see well in drops) and I’m using the kask mojito helmet which also doesn’t play well with these shades.

First ride in the Arenbergs today. To your question about the frame, it does not at all get in my field of vision. Top notch coverage, perfect for today’s bright sun going from valleys to mountain tops, some dirt roads (the stock bronze lens they come with).

However I must say there is one major issue for me. They grip incredibly secure and when I had them under my winter hat and helmet straps it was actually painful against the side of my head. The force they are exerting is a magnitude several times higher than my Oakley Jawbreakers, and the shape of the ear pieces is less flat in profile. So while this may work for some I need a few more rides to determine if that will work for me. Because I hate having a cold head or ears!

jemoryl
02-02-2018, 08:12 PM
I don't know about the shades, but I hear that Rapha is now offering a scholarship in your name for college-bound children of employees.

Not that long ago, you didn't need a scholarship to go to uni in the UK. It was free and you even got a grant for beer.

berserk87
02-03-2018, 09:48 AM
Not that long ago, you didn't need a scholarship to go to uni in the UK. It was free and you even got a grant for beer.

Sounds like I need to relocate.