PDA

View Full Version : Why are road bikes marketed as if all cyclists were racers?

fiamme red
02-01-2018, 11:34 AM
Interesting article by James Huang: https://cyclingtips.com/2018/02/jra-angry-asian-fun-isnt-four-letter-word/.

The marketing associated with road cycling exhibits a strong disconnect between what people are really doing and what the industry (and many of the sport’s dyed-in-the-wool veterans) thinks they should be doing. In magazine and website ads, road cycling almost invariably equates to competition, even if it’s just with one’s friends. It’s not something you participate in; rather, it’s an aspirational goal. Riding on the road isn’t something you’re supposed to do because it makes you feel good. You do it for the purpose of getting faster.

This feels misguided. Placed next to the positive messages being used in the rest of the outdoor industry, road cycling doesn’t look like much fun at all...Yet Rapha has done quite well by selling "pain" and "suffering." :)

https://www.rapha.cc/us/en_US/shop/kings-of-pain-jersey/product/KOP01XXBLKSML

The five hallmark designs representing the Kings of Pain:

Convicts of the Road stripes
Blood, sweat, tears and mud
Kings of Pain logo
King’s crown reminiscent of older hallmarks
Arrowhead based on a benchmark used to brand convicts
https://dyzmn8020x6cd.cloudfront.net/sys-master/products/h6f/h25/8822067265566/KOP01-Loc-SS14-01.jpg_MEDIUM

cinco
02-01-2018, 11:52 AM
Aspiring to ride faster, harder, is my rationalization for spending top dollar on top gear.

echelon_john
02-01-2018, 12:05 PM
Wasn't Grant Peterson saying this in 1995?

fiamme red
02-01-2018, 12:09 PM
Wasn't Grant Peterson saying this in 1995?Yes, he was. I loved the Bridgestone catalogs with Pineapple Bob, poking fun at the usual road bike marketing.

This one says: "P.B. trying his best to look like an early '70's Euro-pro. We think his form is even better."

pasadena
02-01-2018, 12:19 PM
There is a disconnect but race marketing is one aspect.

Auto makers literally spend hundreds of millions on F1, yet seemingly has no relevance to what it sells - namely, minivans to families. But, it does have relevance.

There is a social and riding style totally ignored by racing advertising, which is why a company like Rapha got such immediate traction with its products and advertising. There was a real paradigm shift there.

It's really just grown from there, outside of the racing scene.

fiamme red
02-01-2018, 12:21 PM
There is a social and riding style totally ignored by racing advertising, which is why a company like Rapha got such immediate traction with its products and advertising. There was a real paradigm shift there.But isn't Rapha advertising based on the club cyclist's fantasy of being a Euro-pro?

tuscanyswe
02-01-2018, 12:37 PM
Why buy a prius when you can get a ferrari ?

Its amazing how dumb we as consumers are :) Im not any smarter either, i just have different areas of flawed thinking .)

pasadena
02-01-2018, 12:45 PM
But isn't Rapha advertising based on the club cyclist's fantasy of being a Euro-pro?

Is it? I don't think so
They market on cycle history and enjoying & suffering together with your friends.
They marketed based on how people actually rode, or would like to ride. That's why they caught on with such immediacy.

Everyone post-Rapha has similar marketing. It's moved away from the race-advertising.

Kontact
02-01-2018, 01:00 PM
I don't think it is at all crazy to think that a large portion of the joy of road cycling is doing all the things that make cycling great - as fast as you can. Since when are people not competitive with each other and themselves? Who plays darts for style rather than accuracy?

I'm not super competitive when riding, but I definitely enjoy the ride more if I felt fast, didn't get passed and caught other cyclists on my way. Who doesn't feel like that?

It just isn't the whole story, because we also like being outside, seeing stuff, talking with other cyclists, getting exercise, etc. It's just that none of that is incompatible with a little competitive spirit, and that spirit helps get us off the couch.

I really can't imagine the "joy of riding" completely removed from the joy of challenging myself. And every aero or lightweight doodad we discuss is a testament to that competitive spirit. If that didn't exist we'd all just be tooling around on $400 hybrids.

false_Aest
02-01-2018, 01:08 PM
I really can't imagine the "joy of riding" completely removed from the joy of challenging myself. And every aero or lightweight doodad we discuss is a testament to that competitive spirit. If that didn't exist we'd all just be tooling around on $400 hybrids.

Remember, most of the world's bike riding population, is (or cheaper for that matter). I've been to 6 major bicycle assembly factories in the past 12 months -- the bulk of their sales (and OEM parts) aren't for road bikes.

Part of the question is, if road bike sales (and sexiness) is in decline, why hasn't the industry changed their marketing to match who they're trying to attract.

Gummee
02-01-2018, 01:19 PM
Win on Sunday, sell on Monday

Works. ...and has for lots of years

M

cinco
02-01-2018, 01:29 PM
Part of the question is, if road bike sales (and sexiness) is in decline, why hasn't the industry changed their marketing to match who they're trying to attract.

If I had to guess, it's because there is a high(er) margin in high-end road bikes n stuff, mtb, maybe even moreso. And those companies that marketed and sold said high end stuff are reluctant to admit it is slowing. So, still throwing advertising dollars at it.
A populace that is rejecting the notion that it needs to own the latest and greatest is not in their interest.

Kontact
02-01-2018, 01:32 PM
Remember, most of the world's bike riding population, is (or cheaper for that matter). I've been to 6 major bicycle assembly factories in the past 12 months -- the bulk of their sales (and OEM parts) aren't for road bikes.

The billion Chinese people who ride single speed English racers to work daily don't need marketing to decide to buy a bike. It is a basic necessity like shoes.

But pure recreational riders are motivated by something entirely different than making a 2 mile commute without having to wait for the bus.

Road bike sales are in decline because road bikes don't really wear out, the used market is really attractive when the difference in price between new and used is thousands instead of hundreds of dollars and it was a bit of fad in the first place.

But we can't blame bicycle makers for concentrating on customers willing to make a single bike purchase that represents $5000 in pure profit - that's easy money compared to trying to get an additional 60 people to buy a new $100 bike.

cadence90
02-01-2018, 01:38 PM

Obviously the target audiences, advertising methodologies, distribution channels, etc. between the $400 bicycle and the part of the industry being discussed here are entirely different.

So, I suppose that those high-end brands aren't going to give up the fight just yet. Who did LVMH buy recently? They must still believe in the market.

andrewsuzuki
02-01-2018, 01:41 PM
TDI touched this a bit in "How To Make Your Own Boutique Cycling Clothing Brand!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgQsm-5cfpk (relevant bits starting at 12:27)

drewellison
02-01-2018, 01:41 PM
Why buy a prius when you can get a ferrari ?

Its amazing how dumb we as consumers are :) Im not any smarter either, i just have different areas of flawed thinking .)

If I drive a Prius, they're not going to invite me to join that new club on Strava.

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=217163

54ny77
02-01-2018, 01:46 PM
What, all of your rides are not epic, sepia-toned slow motion high def adventures with just the appropriate amount of grit and sweat on your face?

ojingoh
02-01-2018, 02:57 PM
But isn't Rapha advertising based on the club cyclist's fantasy of being a Euro-pro?

Yup. Less so now it seems. I think it's changed since the beginning, much more focus on tech, participation and driving traffic to the physical shops to get that basket of goods up.

Very sophisticated marketing. One of Simon Mottram's earliest key hires was Josh Rowe, who spun out of Rapha and founded Tracksmith, which is a Rapha-like take on running merch -more of a New England prep/college inspiration though.

saf-t
02-01-2018, 03:02 PM
The answer to the OP's question is the same for why auto manufacturers install speedometers that read way higher than the vehicle could ever reach- let alone do so safely.

It's because manufacturers have figured out that there's a Walter Mitty living inside of each of us.

NYCfixie
02-01-2018, 03:03 PM
Beat me to it....

Race on Sunday, sell on Monday.

They sell the fantasy:
- We can all be race car drivers
- We can all win the Tour (or at least the town line sprint)

Bikes are exercise vehicles in this country. Nothing more, nothing less.

M

Mark McM
02-01-2018, 04:16 PM
Here's an interesting contrast:

As noted above, both cars and bicycles are often advertised as if their users were racers looking for speed and performance edges. Of course, the reality is, most drivers and cyclists are not top pro racers. But what ever their limits as drivers/cyclists, cyclists are in a better position to attempt to wring out whatever best performance they can from themselves and their equipment.

If you tried to drive a car to its performance limit on public streets, you'd be endangering not only yourself, but everyone else on the road around you (not to mention breaking all kinds of laws). You end up with situations like in the concurrent thread about the drifting driver in Hawaii who struck and seriously injured a cyclist.

On the other hand, given the much slower speeds and energies, cyclists often have more opportunity to test their limits with far less danger. Trying to set a Strava KOM up a long steep climb? You can go at your limits without endangering anyone else. Another example is the many clubs that run weekly time trials on open roads. These can be done with minimal danger or interference with other road users.

While I like sports cars and auto racing, I haven't bothered to get a performance car, because I realize there are very few opportunities that it can be driven to its (or my) potential. But with bicycles, I can ride to my limits (feeble though they may be) regularly and safely. And although the actual extra performance that can be gained with bicycle in the "High Tech Super Bike" category is relatively small, and maybe I'd be deluding myself that they were worth the extra money, at least I'd have plenty of opportunity to try to actually exploit what ever extra performance it could offer.

AngryScientist
02-01-2018, 04:20 PM
Here's an interesting contrast:

As noted above, both cars and bicycles are often advertised as if their users were racers looking for speed and performance edges. Of course, the reality is, most drivers and cyclists are not top pro racers. But what ever their limits as drivers/cyclists, cyclists are in a better position to attempt to wring out whatever best performance they can from themselves and their equipment.

If you tried to drive a car to its performance limit on public streets, you'd be endangering not only yourself, but everyone else on the road around you (not to mention breaking all kinds of laws). You end up with situations like in the concurrent thread about the drifting driver in Hawaii who struck and seriously injured a cyclist.

On the other hand, given the much slower speeds and energies, cyclists often have more opportunity to test their limits with far less danger. Trying to set a Strava KOM up a long steep climb? You can go at your limits without endangering anyone else. Another example is the many clubs that run weekly time trials on open roads. These can be done with minimal danger or interference with other road users.

While I like sports cars and auto racing, I haven't bothered to get a performance car, because I realize there are very few opportunities that it can be driven to its (or my) potential. But with bicycles, I can ride to my limits (feeble though they may be) regularly and safely. And although the actual extra performance that can be gained with bicycle in the "High Tech Super Bike" category is relatively small, and maybe I'd be deluding myself that they were worth the extra money, at least I'd have plenty of opportunity to try to actually exploit what ever extra performance it could offer.

this is a great point Mark!

AngryScientist
02-01-2018, 04:23 PM
also - i think the automotive industry "win on sunday, sell on monday" thing is not really all that effective or relevant anymore.

a quick look at the top selling cars in the US for 2017 shows that [it appears] people are more interested in actually buying very bland, safe and reliable cars (or utilitarian trucks) - not sporty race cars...

pretty sure no one buying the top selling RAV4 has delusions of Nascar dancing around their head.

Toyota RAV4: 352,139. +11.6%. Toyota.
Honda CR-V: 357,335. +3.4%. Honda.
Toyota Corolla: 360,483. - 0.8%. Toyota.
Honda Civic: 366,927. +9.4%. Honda.
Toyota Camry: 388,616. - 9.5%. Toyota.
RAM Trucks: 489,418. +8.7%. RAM.
Chevrolet Silverado: 574,876. - 4.3% Chevrolet.
Ford F-Series: 820,799. +5.2%. Ford.

cmg
02-01-2018, 04:25 PM
when have you gone to a club ride and not had someone fawning over the latest and greatest. people show up to our local weekly on gravel/cross/adventure bikes but our rides never leave the street. The only dirt they see is in the wind. new shop on my side of town sells new stuff whether it applies or not.

ftf
02-01-2018, 04:26 PM
when have you gone to a club ride and not had someone fawning over the latest and greatest. people show up to our local weekly on gravel/cross/adventure bikes but our rides never leave the street. The only dirt they see is in the wind. new shop on my side of town sells new stuff whether it applies or not.

I've ridden my cyclocross/gravel bike in a group ride a couple of times, and it's seen the dirt.

benb
02-01-2018, 04:30 PM
Yah Mark said it well.

I am fine with the marketing for the most part. I'm not at all trying to be competitive with anyone anymore but I still mostly treat my riding as if I was, I'm just trying to compete with myself to motivate me to stay fit and be healthy.

And I *definitely* ride my bikes hard and enjoy when they perform well. Racy bikes, whether they are road bikes, MTBs, gravel type bikes, etc.. are way more FUN than really practical commuter bikes.

Unless the weather is terrible even my "practical" bike is more fun if I strip off the fenders and racks and have a good set of tires on it!

As long as there are good practical inexpensive commuter bikes for actual practical use I have no problem with all the race bike marketing at all. I think the big bike shops/companies have perhaps had the balance somewhat off from time to time but it's not that bad right now.

I sold my performance motorcycle 6 years ago and switched to a much more practical car that isn't super fun to drive because it was the right thing to do for the family, why shouldn't the bikes be fun! And the bikes are still cheap compared to so many other activities you might participate in to add some excitement to your life.

benb
02-01-2018, 04:32 PM
I've ridden my cyclocross/gravel bike in a group ride a couple of times, and it's seen the dirt.

Yah likewise.. we actually have gravel group rides around here. My Gravel bike is kind of a Donkey but I've taken either it or the MTB on those adventure group rides and they're super fun. They're lower key than normal road rides.

I'm not sure I went on that ride in 2017 as I was focusing on some other stuff... might have to get back to it.

Burnette
02-01-2018, 05:14 PM
also - i think the automotive industry "win on sunday, sell on monday" thing is not really all that effective or relevant anymore.
a quick look at the top selling cars in the US for 2017 shows that [it appears] people are more interested in actually buying very bland, safe and reliable cars (or utilitarian trucks) - not sporty race cars...

pretty sure no one buying the top selling RAV4 has delusions of Nascar dancing around their head.

Exactly, win on Sunday/sell on Monday is a fallacy. Pro cycling is so poorly watched in America as to be a moot point.

adub
02-01-2018, 05:17 PM
We all wanna be sold something.

bicycletricycle
02-01-2018, 05:34 PM
I don't know, I assume it works or it wouldn't be done. I always thought it was strange.

I guess we could ask, Why do we buy things that are associated with racing?

Burnette
02-01-2018, 05:58 PM
I don't know, I assume it works or it wouldn't be done. I always thought it was strange.

I guess we could ask, Why do we buy things that are associated with racing?

The American public in general is oblivious to pro cycling and even the very few who do watch it have very little retention of who rode what.

Ask a non cyclist what bike brand Contador rode. You'll have to tell 99% of them who Alberto Contador is. Ask a casual cyclist what bike Andy Schelck rode before he dropped out, now ask what group he had on the bike. Or what wheels any of them had they had. Some here wil get it but we're like nerds at Comicon, of course we know but the public at large does not.

I did this a few years back at two bike shops, asking a series of questions to customers and shop workers alike. You'll be surprised to know that shop rats didn't get them all right and not one customer had a basic understanding of who rode what.

If you do charity rides of sixty or more people, try it yourself. They'll know Lance and just maybe Trek. The vast majority won't know who Chris Froome is or what he rides.

Kontact
02-01-2018, 06:17 PM
Is the act of riding a road bike in a big loop back to your starting point a utilitarian action or a performance? If it is a performance, we are going to approach it that way.

Ti Designs
02-01-2018, 06:26 PM
Because [most] humans are programmable.

Burnette
02-01-2018, 06:46 PM
Because [most] humans are programmable.

I agree, performance had nothing to do with it. Over the years I have taken friends and family to buy bicycles and it almost always comes down to, "I have this much cash, what's the "best" I can get for that". And best is the operative word. To the bike seller best is whatever they have too many of.

I have a friend at work that didn't ride and wanted to try mountain biking. I offered my bike free to him for a year, I hardly ride it anymore. Did he take me up on it. Nope. He went to a bike shop and bought a MTB for four grand! The guy didn't ride. Doesn't ride now. Didn't "need' that much bike.

Am I impervious to marketing? Nope. My wife's cousin's husband is an IT manager. 10 years ago I needed a lap top. He told me two or three that were good choices. Did I listen. No, I spent three grand on a lap top that was good for video games and movie editing. Of which I do neither.

EDS
02-01-2018, 07:07 PM
Pretty much every hobby that requires physical movement involves some marketing around competition, whether that be cycling, golf, tennis, softball, sailing, etc.

Mr. Pink
02-01-2018, 07:15 PM

M

That explains all of those monster pickup trucks, I guess.

Mr. Pink
02-01-2018, 07:17 PM
I agree, performance had nothing to do with it. Over the years I have taken friends and family to buy bicycles and it almost always comes down to, "I have this much cash, what's the "best" I can get for that". And best is the operative word. To the bike seller best is whatever they have too many of.

I have a friend at work that didn't ride and wanted to try mountain biking. I offered my bike free to him for a year, I hardly ride it anymore. Did he take me up on it. Nope. He went to a bike shop and bought a MTB for four grand! The guy didn't ride. Doesn't ride now. Didn't "need' that much bike.

Am I impervious to marketing? Nope. My wife's cousin's husband is an IT manager. 10 years ago I needed a lap top. He told me two or three that were good choices. Did I listen. No, I spent three grand on a lap top that was good for video games and movie editing. Of which I do neither.

I'll betcha that half of all snowboards made reside in closets or garages without leaving, if not the dump.

Black Dog
02-01-2018, 07:21 PM
The marketers are smart, they set up shop at the confluence of narcissism and insecurity.

Burnette
02-01-2018, 07:22 PM
I'll betcha that half of all snowboards made reside in closets or garages without leaving, if not the dump.

Every so many months I think about skate boards, I look at skate boards online, I read about skate boards, I look at that scar in my knee from many, many years ago and about pain, physical therapy and time lost at work, then I stop looking at skate boards for a few months.

But if I did buy a skate board, it would be the "best" I could get for my fist full of dollars.

Mr. Pink
02-01-2018, 07:23 PM
The American public in general is oblivious to pro cycling and even the very few who do watch it have very little retention of who rode what.

Ask a non cyclist what bike brand Contador rode. You'll have to tell 99% of them who Alberto Contador is. Ask a casual cyclist what bike Andy Schelck rode before he dropped out, now ask what group he had on the bike. Or what wheels any of them had they had. Some here wil get it but we're like nerds at Comicon, of course we know but the public at large does not.

I did this a few years back at two bike shops, asking a series of questions to customers and shop workers alike. You'll be surprised to know that shop rats didn't get them all right and not one customer had a basic understanding of who rode what.

If you do charity rides of sixty or more people, try it yourself. They'll know Lance and just maybe Trek. The vast majority won't know who Chris Froome is or what he rides.

Well, I ride a bicycle a lot, and watch the Tour and now the Vuelta, but, you know, I really don't care what they ride. Because, A., they have no real choice in the matter (or, I'm sure they could see the bright side of a bike who's manufacturer pays him a whole lot of money to ride) but, more important, B., they could embarrass 99% of the rest of the human race riding the most generic of 1800 dollar mass market cheap component bicycles one sees on most showroom floors.

Burnette
02-01-2018, 07:30 PM
Well, I ride a bicycle a lot, and watch the Tour and now the Vuelta, but, you know, I really don't care what they ride. Because, A., they have no real choice in the matter (or, I'm sure they could see the bright side of a bike who's manufacturer pays him a whole lot of money to ride) but, more important, B., they could embarrass 99% of the rest of the human race riding the most generic of 1800 dollar mass market cheap component bicycles one sees on most showroom floors.

You are in line with my point above. Who races what is of little consequence to bicycle buyers as they don't watch pro cycle races and those like you who in fact do watch them are smart enough to filter out the hype and don't buy based on what the dopers do.

And to your point, I agree absolutely. For the majority of cyclist anything spent above a certain value is wasted money, for sure.

Mr. Pink
02-01-2018, 07:34 PM
You are in line with my point above. Who races what is of little consequence to bicycle buyers as they don't watch pro cycle races and those like you who in fact do watch them are smart enough to filter out the hype and don't buy based on what the dopers do.

And to your point, I agree absolutely. For the majority of cyclist anything spent above a certain value is wasted money, for sure.

Except for custom fit and build. Also, just owning something very well made and beautiful (at least to me). That usually involves a few thousand dollar premium. My bicycles are still the finest things I own.

Burnette
02-01-2018, 07:40 PM
Except for custom fit and build. Also, just owning something very well made and beautiful (at least to me). That usually involves a few thousand dollar premium. My bicycles are still the finest things I own.

By your posts I can tell that you're my cycling brother. I too see value in hand made items custom tailored to my taste and wants.

makoti
02-01-2018, 07:45 PM
TDI touched this a bit in "How To Make Your Own Boutique Cycling Clothing Brand!"

This was funny.

froze
02-01-2018, 09:17 PM
It's marketing BS designed to attract the gullible drugstore racer.

I refuse to wear any kit that has some sort of advertisement ablazed across it. The way I see is if I'm wearing an advertisement for some cycling product then they should at least give me the jersey for free. For example: https://www.competitivecyclist.com/castelli-cannondale-garmin-team-2.0-jersey-short-sleeve-mens?skidn=CST00A0-BLAGN-M&ti=UExQIENhdDpNZW4ncyBSb2FkIEJpa2UgSmVyc2V5czoxOjQ yOmNjQ2F0MTAwMzMz Here is a jersey that has Cannondale, NB, Garmin, SRAM, Slipstream, and Castelli plastered all over it, you are billboard for advertising for them, great, but would a newspaper take those same brand names and plaster them in the newspaper without charging the companies? NO, and neither will I.

fiamme red
02-01-2018, 09:22 PM
Is it? I don't think so
They market on cycle history and enjoying & suffering together with your friends.
They marketed based on how people actually rode, or would like to ride. That's why they caught on with such immediacy.

Everyone post-Rapha has similar marketing. It's moved away from the race-advertising.I don't know. Rapha has a pretty extensive Pro Team Collection: https://www.rapha.cc/us/en_US/shop/pro-team/category/pro-team.

Kontact
02-01-2018, 09:49 PM
It's marketing BS designed to attract the gullible drugstore racer.

I refuse to wear any kit that has some sort of advertisement ablazed across it. The way I see is if I'm wearing an advertisement for some cycling product then they should at least give me the jersey for free. For example: https://www.competitivecyclist.com/castelli-cannondale-garmin-team-2.0-jersey-short-sleeve-mens?skidn=CST00A0-BLAGN-M&ti=UExQIENhdDpNZW4ncyBSb2FkIEJpa2UgSmVyc2V5czoxOjQ yOmNjQ2F0MTAwMzMz Here is a jersey that has Cannondale, NB, Garmin, SRAM, Slipstream, and Castelli plastered all over it, you are billboard for advertising for them, great, but would a newspaper take those same brand names and plaster them in the newspaper without charging the companies? NO, and neither will I.

I was thinking of getting Boeing jersey, so everyone who sees me feels compelled to buy a 757 or a weather satellite.

martl
02-02-2018, 01:07 AM
Why are road bikes marketed as if all cyclists were racers?

What he is complaining about seems to me more like:

"Why are racing bikes marketed as if all cyclists were racers?"

Don't blame the seller for wanting the wrong kind of product (for you)

witcombusa
02-02-2018, 06:07 AM

Could just as easily asked, why are so many people on the 'wrong' bike for their needs?

Ralph
02-02-2018, 06:34 AM
I'm not an expert on modern bikes....but some bikes are marketed as being for riding by more regular folks....such as the Cannondale Synapse, and I know Trek, Giant, Specialized, and others market a similar bike. The Lynksey Ti frames come in lots of versions depending on what you need. When I walk into a local bike shop...which is not often.....and talk with bike shop people.....I don't get the feeling the equipment is all about racing. It's almost just the opposite.....they look at me as an old man.....and ask if I'm interested in a comfort bike LOL.

El Chaba
02-02-2018, 06:34 AM
I don't have a problem with people aspiring to ride better. The pros are recognized as the best riders, so I fully understand marketing that packages that aspiration/image. The problem now is that the 'brand" of pro cycling is so tainted by one scandal after another...

rccardr
02-02-2018, 07:11 AM
Un-unh. Not marketing to 'racing' per se, they are marketing to that oldest of human urges, sex.

Sure, there are plenty of images of racing used in bicycle advertising, but you will notice that none of them are of the typical overweight, underachieving American bike rider. Nope, most of them folks are thin, slightly dewey with perspiration, males slightly facial haired, ladies with the zipper down a couple inches, and all looking like they just came out of a spa. Even the actual racing photos look like something out of a professional shoot, all of the participants appearing like the ideal male/female image.

None of the folks in those ads look like the people I ride with every day; they look like the people my friends aspire to look like. In their dreams..

verticaldoug
02-02-2018, 07:51 AM
Because we are all above average.

gemship
02-02-2018, 08:44 AM
The very name of this forum implies racing. The sponsors of this forum offer performance related cycling products. Ironically a great deal of regular posters to threads here probably are more interested in an individual pursuit of their own rather than being competitive cycling wise.

fiamme red
02-02-2018, 09:26 AM
I was looking through my collection of Bicycling! Magazine from the 1970's, and I was struck at how the articles and ads, though a few were about amateur or pro racing, largely showed ordinary people having fun on a bike, not being competitive. It's a big contrast from road bike magazines of more recent years.

Then again, the equipment of that time was much simpler and cheaper, and even pro racers were using frames, wheels, and components that weren't much different from what you got on a mid-level racing bike.

palincss
02-02-2018, 12:25 PM
I was thinking of getting Boeing jersey, so everyone who sees me feels compelled to buy a 757 or a weather satellite.

I think if I'm going to wear advertising, it's going to be for something I believe in.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSwLz0gcWl8WuGpoaI_fOzjj0yvOozev ZnPXqvgrogk5PSajYiQ http://d2ydh70d4b5xgv.cloudfront.net/images/5/5/vomax-sierra-nevada-ss-cycling-jersey-medium-road-mountain-bike-4691ce679ec1443fbd2667ef5c634c09.jpg

palincss
02-02-2018, 12:28 PM
The very name of this forum implies racing. The sponsors of this forum offer performance related cycling products. Ironically a great deal of regular posters to threads here probably are more interested in an individual pursuit of their own rather than being competitive cycling wise.

I don't paceline, but I know plenty of cyclists who do, and I know plenty of cyclists -- and none of them races. In fact, racers don't belong to recreational cycling clubs, they belong to racing clubs with "Velo" in the name -- and I'll bet most of them don't race either.

Kontact
02-02-2018, 01:52 PM

Could just as easily asked, why are so many people on the 'wrong' bike for their needs?

Is a modern racing bike, with its slightly taller headtube, slightly long wheelbase and 25c tires "wrong" for riding on the road?

Gummee
02-02-2018, 02:47 PM
I don't have a problem with people aspiring to ride better. The pros are recognized as the best riders, so I fully understand marketing that packages that aspiration/image. The problem now is that the 'brand" of pro cycling is so tainted by one scandal after another...

If you don't race, OR pay attention to anyone past LA, cycling isn't tainted.

You don't have to race to want to ride fast. Riding fast, a road 'racing bike' is the best thing out there. The geometry has been honed over generations of riders.

For the way (and where) a lot of people around here ride, an all-road bike would be a better bet, despite the fact that few of them want to ride gravel roads.

M

ceolwulf
02-02-2018, 07:18 PM
What, all of your rides are not epic, sepia-toned slow motion high def adventures with just the appropriate amount of grit and sweat on your face?

They're definitely slow motion, at least.

witcombusa
02-02-2018, 08:05 PM
Is a modern racing bike, with its slightly taller headtube, slightly long wheelbase and 25c tires "wrong" for riding on the road?

For many, yes!
Gearing will not be adequate in many parts of the country. Tires bigger than 25 or 27 mm most likely will not fit. Ability to add racks or fenders likely missing.
Frame sizing in S,M, L won't get it done for fit for many as well.

Kontact
02-02-2018, 08:46 PM
For many, yes!
Gearing will not be adequate in many parts of the country. Tires bigger than 25 or 27 mm most likely will not fit. Ability to add racks or fenders likely missing.
Frame sizing in S,M, L won't get it done for fit for many as well.

You can put any kind of gearing on a road bike, and you can even get special fenders for them. A road bike isn't designed for hauling stuff. It is designed to be ridden long distances on pavement, not act as a touring bike or an MTB.

Road bikes generally come in many more than three sizes.

So your response is the kind that makes me scratch my head - if the point is to go for a ride on the road, not tour, not ride on dirt, how is a road bike failing to do its job?

Other jobs, other bikes.

Drmojo
02-02-2018, 10:44 PM

love love love this

dddd
02-02-2018, 10:45 PM
You can put any kind of gearing on a road bike, and you can even get special fenders for them. A road bike isn't designed for hauling stuff. It is designed to be ridden long distances on pavement, not act as a touring bike or an MTB.

So your response is the kind that makes me scratch my head - if the point is to go for a ride on the road, not tour, not ride on dirt, how is a road bike failing to do its job?

Other jobs, other bikes.

If you really want to do fenders, even for a short couple of months per year or even for a single event, you probably should want the extra clearances for proper fit and good protection with still-sufficient tire size and actual safe clearance around both tires. Few MODERN road bikes can accommodate these requirements very well.

But road bikes in general are super-good for all types of riding, even very old ones and everything in between. The exceptions are the stiffest-riding, quickest-steering, trying-to-be-too-light and raciest-fitting models that force all kinds of compromises in the name of trying to be fastest.

witcombusa
02-03-2018, 07:17 AM

Other jobs, other bikes.

Our definition of 'road bikes' differ... perhaps you'd be more comfortable with
'all road' bike? That used to be understood.

GregL
02-03-2018, 07:51 AM
You're very correct, people have many different interpretations of what a "road bike" is. I've taken to using more detailed descriptions. "Road racing," "road sport," "road touring," "all-road," etc... Just calling a bike a "road bike" isn't sufficient anymore. A side effect from the increasing variety available in the marketplace.

Greg

Kontact
02-03-2018, 11:06 AM

I was talking about what we call a "road bike" when being specific enough to also use terms like "touring bike" or "sport touring bike" or "TT bike" or "tandem road bike" - a road racing bike.

There is a contingent of people that immediately react to the word "racing" with declarations about "short stays" and "twitchy handling" that might have applied to custom designed criterium bikes in 1983, but for the most part don't match up with the tried and true, all day in the saddle stage racing bikes that are the standard "road bikes".

They aren't racing bikes because they do something odd or painful, they just are stripped of the ability to add-on features that aren't required to ride 100 miles of pavement in a sitting. Its a concept much closer to the original stock car racing or cross country skiing than any really specialized equipment sport.

yakstone
02-04-2018, 04:38 PM
Great video; definitely worth a run through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sonicCows
02-04-2018, 10:51 PM
I think we are a biased crowd and fail to notice the road bikes that aren't marketed toward racers. Stuff like Surly, Raleigh, Soma, Twin Six. For younger folk who live in cities and don't own (or rarely use) their cars, bikes aren't so much a weekend hobby as they are a valid form of transportation. Granted these people tend not to buy new bikes (lest they get stolen) but it's also possible because new bikes aren't really designed for them.

Kontact
02-05-2018, 12:37 AM
I think we are a biased crowd and fail to notice the road bikes that aren't marketed toward racers. Stuff like Surly, Raleigh, Soma, Twin Six. For younger folk who live in cities and don't own (or rarely use) their cars, bikes aren't so much a weekend hobby as they are a valid form of transportation. Granted these people tend not to buy new bikes (lest they get stolen) but it's also possible because new bikes aren't really designed for them.

Plus, all the Endurance bikes are supposed to be the cure for race bikes.