PDA

View Full Version : Duh.....how can I tell if a Campy Athena crank is standard or BB30?

54ny77
01-30-2018, 07:45 AM
I bought a recent vintage Campy Athena 11sp silver crank from someone here on the forum (unfortunately I delete PM's routinely, and forget who I had a pleasant transaction with!). I dunno if it's a standard crank or a PF/BB30, etc. He generously included a Campy BB in there and it says something about PF30, but I don't know if that was an extra if I wanted it or if the crank is BB30-specific (or PF30, or whatever it is).

How would I best find out what it is? Measure the crank spindle diameter?

oldpotatoe
01-30-2018, 07:50 AM
I bought a recent vintage Campy Athena 11sp silver crank from someone here on the forum (unfortunately I delete PM's routinely, and forget who I had a pleasant transaction with!). I dunno if it's a standard crank or a PF/BB30, etc. He generously included a Campy BB in there and it says something about PF30, but I don't know if that was an extra if I wanted it or if the crank is BB30-specific (or PF30, or whatever it is).

How would I best find out what it is? Measure the crank spindle diameter?

All Athena cranks are 'standard' in that none were/are BB30/PFBB30 30mm crank spindle, the 11s ones were 24mm spindle, both UltraTorque and PowerTorque.. All of these 'vintage' Athena cranks a can be used on BB30/PFBB30 framesets with the proper BB cups for frame.

54ny77
01-30-2018, 07:54 AM
Gratzie! :banana:

Now I gotta find an eye-talian regular threaded BB for my "vintage" steel frame.

oldpotatoe
01-30-2018, 08:01 AM
Gratzie! :banana:

Now I gotta find an eye-talian regular threaded BB for my "vintage" steel frame.

Easy to find the far superior Italian threaded, cups..is the crank PowerTorque or UltraTorque?

54ny77
01-30-2018, 11:27 AM
It's got a single spindle so in Campy land it appears to be Powertorque. Does it matter for the threaded BB cups, i.e., is there a Powertorque-specific BB and Ultratorque-specific BB?

Easy to find the far superior Italian threaded, cups..is the crank PowerTorque or UltraTorque?

jtakeda
01-30-2018, 11:43 AM
It's got a single spindle so in Campy land it appears to be Powertorque. Does it matter for the threaded BB cups, i.e., is there a Powertorque-specific BB and Ultratorque-specific BB?

Yes it matters. Also for taking it apart it def matters

54ny77
01-30-2018, 12:16 PM
Thanks jtakeda. I asked the question here before looking online for ultra vs. power torque bb cups. I just glanced at a few online shops and see the different product naming now. Thanks again for the heads up! :cool:

Yes it matters. Also for taking it apart it def matters

oldpotatoe
01-30-2018, 01:40 PM
Thanks jtakeda. I asked the question here before looking online for ultra vs. power torque bb cups. I just glanced at a few online shops and see the different product naming now. Thanks again for the heads up! :cool:

Pulling the LH arm isn’t a big deal. Get a decent 2arm gear puller, a little leather under the feet to not mar the arms...spare crank bolt to push against...just remember to take the crank bolt washer out first...:):eek: