PDA

View Full Version : Fits like: Giro Air Attack, POC Octal?

Lewis Moon
01-30-2018, 07:36 AM
Well, its probably time to start looking for a new helmet. Two weeks ago I crashed heavily while wearing my "winter" helmet, a Giro Air Attack, and i completely believe it saved my life. I still ended up with a subdural hematoma, and I'm typing this with one eye closed due to persisting double vision, but it could have been much worse. Thank you Giro.
The POC Octal medium fits me perfectly and the Air Attack is a good class A- fit. I would like something with a bit more ventilation and fits a very prominent forehead. I like that the Air Attack doesn't look like a Peter Max space helmet. What's out there?

charliedid
01-30-2018, 08:15 AM
Glad you're doing well Lewis. You might like a Kask Protone.

ltwtsculler91
01-30-2018, 08:20 AM

I'll second the Kask Protone. I thought my air attack fit very well, and the Protone is easily the best fitting helmet I've used. Confortable, cool in the summer even when climbing, and the front does come almost down to my eyebrows.

Another option to consider would be the new Bontrager Velocis. It's also lower in the front and gives good coverage. I find mine fits well, but with a BOA used to adjust fit you have to be careful as it is very easy to overtighten.

Lewis Moon
01-30-2018, 08:25 AM
I tried on a Mojito (I think) and ot fit well.

djg21
01-30-2018, 08:26 AM
Well, its probably time to start looking for a new helmet. Two weeks ago I crashed heavily while wearing my "winter" helmet, a Giro Air Attack, and i completely believe it saved my life. I still ended up with a subdural hematoma, and I'm typing this with one eye closed due to persisting double vision, but it could have been much worse. Thank you Giro.
The POC Octal medium fits me perfectly and the Air Attack is a good class A- fit. I would like something with a bit more ventilation and fits a very prominent forehead. I like that the Air Attack doesn't look like a Peter Max space helmet. What's out there?

You can get a crash replacement from Giro ad a pretty significant discount. You should contact Giro.

I’ve been using the Giro Synthe for a few years. I actually got a second one with MIPS last season, after my older one started to get ratty. I now use my older one on my MTB. They are nice helmets and fit well.

oldpotatoe
01-30-2018, 08:27 AM

Really tough..I love my Catlike Whisper but ya gotta try them on...and then buy(don't be 'that' guy)...

Remember that more $ doesn't necessarily man a 'better' helmet..

Glad you are OK, BTW..Concussion? Watch for symptoms..

POC..does look like a peter max space helmet..IMHO..:)

charliedid
01-30-2018, 08:31 AM
I tried on a Mojito (I think) and ot fit well.

Protone is better for me. I wear both...

ChristianWong
01-30-2018, 08:53 AM
Glad you're alright, concussions are no joke so take your time with recovery.

I really like my Kask Protone but it's definitely a more snug fit than any Giro helmet I've ever worn (all size large). Ventilation isn't phenomenal so not great for the super hot summer days. However, for the majority of my riding it's perfect. Bonus - the logos are just stickers so they come off easy for a nice stealth look.

I may pick up the new Kask helmet with more air vents for the summer.

ChristianWong
01-30-2018, 08:53 AM
Glad you're alright, concussions are no joke so take your time with recovery.

I really like my Kask Protone but it's definitely a more snug fit than any Giro helmet I've ever worn (all size large). Ventilation isn't phenomenal so not great for the super hot summer days. However, for the majority of my riding it's perfect. Bonus - the logos are just stickers so they come off easy for a nice stealth look.

I may pick up the new Kask helmet with more air vents for the summer.

No MIPS though, if that's your thing (which it might be considering recent events).

Black Dog
01-30-2018, 09:08 AM
Just get the POC, cant see it when it is on your head. Great protection, fit and, ventilation and light. I would say more good things but I am on my way to get my endorsement cheque from POC....;)

Lewis Moon
01-30-2018, 09:20 AM
Just get the POC, cant see it when it is on your head. Great protection, fit and, ventilation and light. I would say more good things but I am on my way to get my endorsement cheque from POC....;)

The POC is my go to helmet for Phoenix summers. I bought the Air Attack as a more aero choice and something a bit warmer during the winter.

Black Dog
01-30-2018, 09:25 AM
The POC is my go to helmet for Phoenix summers. I bought the Air Attack as a more aero choice and something a bit warmer during the winter.

OK, gotcha, misread that. What about a giro foray? Cheap, aero, and fits like a POC. Comes in MIPS too. Greta value. I have one for the colder days.

https://cdnmos-bikeradar.global.ssl.fastly.net/images/bikes-and-gear/helmets-and-protection/helmet-standard/giro-foray-mips-01-1473775475167-r5y3zfk40ich-630-80.jpg

Lewis Moon
01-30-2018, 10:14 AM
Im an idiot

BdaGhisallo
01-30-2018, 11:25 AM

Does the Protone still come with that thick leather chin strap? I tried one when they were first released and I couldn't get that leatherette off my throat without hanging the side straps way down low since the leatherette doesn't take a bending.

I notice that most of the Sky riders don't have it on their Kask helmets, with their chin straps being made of the same soft normal strap material used elsewhere on the helmet.

charliedid
01-30-2018, 01:39 PM
Does the Protone still come with that thick leather chin strap? I tried one when they were first released and I couldn't get that leatherette off my throat without hanging the side straps way down low since the leatherette doesn't take a bending.

I notice that most of the Sky riders don't have it on their Kask helmets, with their chin straps being made of the same soft normal strap material used elsewhere on the helmet.

Yep, and it's not adjustable beyond just length. I like the leather straps but they are a touch stiff at first.

giverdada
01-30-2018, 01:48 PM
I think POC and others are making versions with and without MIPS.

Since my lady's horrible TBI-inducing crash a couple years ago, she took all of our helmets off the rack and replaced them with MIPS. This was an expensive, desperate move, coming wholly from a place of pain and love combined. So now we all wear Smith helmets, all with MIPS.

Sounds like you're a prime candidate for a brain injury/concussion, so I really hope you get checked out, get signed onto a recovery protocol, extract yourself from any and everything that taxes your brain, and take it the eff easy RIGHT NOW. Seriously. Like get off the forum, NOW, and go get some craniosacral and some laser and some shiatsu and whatever 'kooky' medicine floats your boat. It was more than 1.5 years ago and my lady is only just now back to 90% of her former self. Granted, her former self was superduperwoman, but honestly, who wants to be 'less' of themselves for any amount of time, let alone years? Anyway, I'll put my soapbox away and wish you a ton of good healing. Best of luck, bro.

fignon's barber
01-30-2018, 02:25 PM

How long before you're back on the road? If it's going to be awhile, maybe best to wait til spring. Kask is coming out with 2 new ones, Utopia and valegro, then.

wildboar
02-01-2018, 09:44 PM
You could be the new kid on the block with the new Oakley:
https://www.biketiresdirect.com/product/oakley-aro5-helmet

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk