PDA

View Full Version : Tires for a commuter?

monkeytusmc
01-29-2018, 10:40 PM
Hi everyone, I’m fairly new to the forums and road cycling (about 3-4 months in). I am trying to convert my road bike into more of a commuter. Right now I have 25 but I was thinking of moving to 27 with some more traction. Any advice is appreciated. The bike I’m converting is a trek emonda alr 4. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SlowPokePete
01-30-2018, 03:23 AM
Try Panaracer GravelKings regular or SK version...

SPP

jambee
01-30-2018, 05:19 AM
Compass.
They do 26mm and 28mm.

https://www.compasscycle.com/shop/components/tires/700c/compass-700cx28-chinook-pass/

Roll like butter.

weisan
01-30-2018, 05:54 AM
Try the gravel king but if you need more flat protection and can deal with something less supple but still rolls nicely , go for the Panaracer pasela.

CNY rider
01-30-2018, 06:09 AM
Tell us more about your commute.
How long is it? Is it all paved road? What's the quality of the roads? Do you ride in the dark?
And how big is the penalty for getting a flat? (ie if you're commuting in the dark, and the temps are below zero, and you must be at work on time there's a big penalty).
Having said all that:
I commute on Conti GP 4 Seasons.
My nice road bikes have Compass tires but I sacrifice some ride quality for toughness and flat protection when commuting.
I'm 150 pounds riding on decent quality roads. If I was bigger or on rougher roads I would go with something even tougher.

monkeytusmc
01-30-2018, 06:21 AM
Tell us more about your commute.

How long is it? Is it all paved road? What's the quality of the roads? Do you ride in the dark?

And how big is the penalty for getting a flat? (ie if you're commuting in the dark, and the temps are below zero, and you must be at work on time there's a big penalty).

Having said all that:

I commute on Conti GP 4 Seasons.

My nice road bikes have Compass tires but I sacrifice some ride quality for toughness and flat protection when commuting.

I'm 150 pounds riding on decent quality roads. If I was bigger or on rougher roads I would go with something even tougher.

Ok here are some details. I’m 6’4” and I’m around 230. I live in Okinawa Japan which is a tropical island (i know what a hard life). My ride if i go straight to work is 3 miles but I have route to extend that out to about 9-10 miles. No penalty for a flat as it never gets that cold nor am I that far away. I do ride in the dark a lot because it the cold season here. One additional thing to note, although the whole route is paved, the pavement is made with crushed coral. Crushed coral roads are very slippery when driving and I’m sure there would be some effect while riding also. My current tires are slicks and I’m not too sure about riding those in rainy weather. Thanks for all the suggestions

R3awak3n
01-30-2018, 06:37 AM
I third the gravel kings. Nice tire and a good price with decent protection.

classtimesailer
01-30-2018, 07:22 AM
I prefer slicks on paved roads because they are quieter and in the rain, you just need to be careful.

belopsky
01-30-2018, 07:33 AM
Will a 28mm Pasela fit?

palincss
01-30-2018, 07:49 AM
Hi everyone, I’m fairly new to the forums and road cycling (about 3-4 months in). I am trying to convert my road bike into more of a commuter. Right now I have 25 but I was thinking of moving to 27 with some more traction. Any advice is appreciated. The bike I’m converting is a trek emonda alr 4. Thanks.

Does a Trek Emonda have clearance for 27-28mm tires? I'm not really too familiar with the Emonda line, having only ever seen one once on a club ride, but as I recall it, it's rather far from my idea of an ideal commuter. Of course, "commute" can cover anything from a flat 3 mile city ride wearing dress clothes to 20+ hilly miles carrying 15 pounds worth of panniers containing clothing, a laptop and who knows what all else, but in my experience bikes like this lack many of the features that make for a good commuter.

kevinvc
01-30-2018, 08:35 AM
Personally, I like commuting on as big a tire as possible. Our roads are terrible, there is often debris in the bike lanes, I have to navigate street car tracks, and half the year I'm riding in the dark so I don't always see things in time to get out of the way. I'm riding Schwalbe Big Apples on very low pressure right now and love them. They're too big to fit your bike, but overall I enjoy fat, squishy tires for city riding.

My style of commuting isn't about going fast. I'm on a heavy Fargo and carry a few pounds of work stuff in a panier. I like being comfortable and more upright, which lets me be a more cautious and defensive rider in traffic. I know some folks who like to use their commute as a training ride, but that's not my style.

Plus, when I actually get on my road bike I feel extra super light and fast. :p

Ken Robb
01-30-2018, 10:38 AM
Welcome to the group. If you search the archives you will find LOTS of info/opinions on this question. Sometimes I do that and find a few people who have posted info that interests me. I can then send them a private message looking for more info.

FlashUNC
01-30-2018, 11:23 AM
Continental Gatorskins, as big as you can find. Or the GP 4 Seasons recommendation above. Commuting's about getting you there. Last thing you want to do is change a flat in the dark.

Gpmrntz
01-30-2018, 07:53 PM
Continental has a wide (no pun meant) selection of city / commuter tires. You could probably also use one of its less aggressive CX tires.

Besides the selection, over 20+ years I've had the best luck with Conti, over Michelin, Vittoria, etc.

Also had good luck with Challenge tires for CX, but not sure they have a model best suited to you.

veggieburger
01-30-2018, 08:03 PM
Panaracer Paselas. And I'm pretty sure they are made in Japan! :banana:

fiamme red
01-30-2018, 08:39 PM
My favorite commuting tires are Panaracer T-Serv 32mm.

tedbarbeau
02-09-2018, 10:44 AM
I commuted on Gatorskins for about 2 years straight and never had an issue. They were completely bulletproof and survived San Francisco's poorly maintained streets admirably.

Benjamin
02-09-2018, 09:11 PM
Gatorskins are my NYC city tire of choice. Been riding them on brakeless fixed and in other capacities for many years.

monkeytusmc
02-09-2018, 09:15 PM
Just an update, ultimately I ended up with Vittoria Corsa G+ Graphene Road Tire, Skinwall/Black, 700x28. The Gatorskins were my second choice and will probably be my choice to replace the 25’s I have on the bike now once they wear out. Thanks for all the input everyone provided. I think I learned a lot.

froze
02-09-2018, 11:15 PM
My understanding is that you can even go to a 28mm tire IF your bike has Shimano and not SRAM brakes.

If your bike has Shimano brakes then I would go with the Panaracer Gravel King, they've gotten the highest review of any gravel tire on the market, plus the work equally as good on gravel as they do on the street. Panaracer put in a 127 TPI casing which provides the tire with a subtle ride that other gravel tires don't have due to their lower TPI casings. It's a tough tire. You have to chose between tubed and tubless tire, and between a smooth file pattern design that is suitable for pavement, and one that has a mild knobby appearance but isn't as suitable for pavement. The anti flat protection belt goes from bead to bead instead of just in the tread area.

You can increase the flat protection of any tire by adding a tire liner like the Panaracer FlatAway, but those are kind of expensive and their a one time use liner, but they are the lightest and the most durable against flats of any liner on the market.

stien
02-10-2018, 07:21 AM
Does a Trek Emonda have clearance for 27-28mm tires?

I've fit 30c Challenge Strada Bianca on the 24mm rims. It's a tight fit. 27-28 should be the sweet spot.

Drmojo
02-10-2018, 02:39 PM
Schwalbe Marathon
28 c or bigger
I have 20 k miles on some of these
ZERO flats
Heavy, pricey
but more supple than Gatorskins or Armadillos- my least favorite rubber
(commuting since 1975)

froze
02-10-2018, 10:57 PM
Schwalbe Marathon
28 c or bigger
I have 20 k miles on some of these
ZERO flats
Heavy, pricey
but more supple than Gatorskins or Armadillos- my least favorite rubber
(commuting since 1975)

Even though the Marathons are heavy they roll better then Armadillos and the like, so they feel lighter then they really are.

I've been commuting on and off since the mid 70's myself, and other then commuting in the Mojave Desert area of Calif and dealing with goatheads then I used the Armadillos since the Marathons weren't made yet, i've never needed a heavy duty tire in other areas, i use regular light weight tires that I find on sale. I've ridden the streets of Los Angeles before bike lanes were the thing, and other major metro areas and just never saw a need for a heavy tire. And todays regular tires are superior to what I was using when I commuted in L.A. so I really don't see the need for a bullet proof tire unless you're dealing with goatheads or for some reason a minefield of glass.

I think a person can use a regular tire that weighs around 220 grams, add a tire liner that weighs about 90 grams thus be around 300 grams and be lighter then any heavy duty tire. There is also a fantastic liner called the Panaracer FlatAway that works better then the plastic ones, will stick to the inside of the tire so no guessing where the liner is, and only weighs around 39 grams each but they're not reuseable and are expensive.

Of course if you're touring a heavy duty tire is necessary most of the time.

donevwil
02-10-2018, 11:33 PM
Haven't read all previous posts, but will throw a vote for Schwalbe Marathons in your needed choice of armor.

Supremes ride as well or better than most smaller, quality road tires, but you can choose their armor options like no other for the most durable tire in existence, or choose something in between.